Good DSLR for Beginners?

Watch
*Thedreaming*
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

I'm looking to purchase a DSLR in a few weeks, Some pointers would be nice

Also how feasible would buying a second hand one be? Is it better to buy a new one

Thanks!
ZRO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
T3i would be a great dslr to start with. Think you can get one around £400 brand new

Posted from TSR Mobile
hollieeilloh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ZRO)
T3i would be a great dslr to start with. Think you can get one around £400 brand new

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I second this - or if you want something a bit cheaper, T1i/T2i, just depends on your budget really.
NJam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Got a Nikon D3100 a few months back for ~£300 (with a 18-55 3.5-5.6). It's fantastic! I've reached the limits of the lens, though. It's too short (lawl) and at 50mm, which is all I pretty much ever use, it's at f/5.6, which isn't great. My advice, spend less on the DSLR, so you can spend more on the glass you put in front of it. Unless you're doing video then something with a Mic jack could be handy.
hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use a Nikon D5000 which is a brilliant (IMO) entry level camera and is several years old now so is unlikely to be that expensive.
dathtom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NJam)
Got a Nikon D3100 a few months back for ~£300 (with a 18-55 3.5-5.6). It's fantastic! I've reached the limits of the lens, though. It's too short (lawl) and at 50mm, which is all I pretty much ever use, it's at f/5.6, which isn't great. My advice, spend less on the DSLR, so you can spend more on the glass you put in front of it. Unless you're doing video then something with a Mic jack could be handy.
This, the 3200, 1100D or 550D.

Have a look at these. Also useful for learning a little bit about cameras and what to look for. -

NJam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dathtom)
x
DigitalRev FTW.

Also, without the lens, you can pick it up for £250 o.O

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ni...era/OTY4NQ_A_A
Cake Faced Kid.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a Canon 500D a few years ago bundled with the standard 18-55mm lens, and a 75-300mm telephoto lens. If you're looking at older cameras, there are deals such as this around that are extremely useful to take advantage of given the price of lenses.

You could probably go newer than the 500, although it's great little entry level - mine is still serving me faithfully alongside my 5D mark ii.

Maybe look at the 1100? I can only recommend Canon because they're what I use, but from what I'm aware of, Canon and Nikon are pretty neck and neck quality wise.
*Thedreaming*
Thanks everyone!

Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recently got the Canon 600D as my first dslr and I really like it.
Entrepreneur123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a beginner, I'm getting the Canon 60D plus a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens.
*Thedreaming*
any cameras with a pull out screen?
ZRO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by *Thedreaming*)
T3i has one that can pull out/swivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Thedreaming*
What does mm mean with lenses? is it the focus range?
Cake Faced Kid.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
600D has a pull out screen iirc.
*Thedreaming*
Leaning towards 600d.

The price tho D:
NJam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What does mm mean with lenses? is it the focus range?
The focal length. Here's a nice article to explain pretty much everything about a lens:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...era-lenses.htm
*Thedreaming*
(Original post by NJam)
The focal length. Here's a nice article to explain pretty much everything about a lens:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...era-lenses.htm
Thanks.
littlemissmidget123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a somewhat outdated canon 450D, however it still takes good quality images, and really, for a beginner you do not need the best camera, but you need one that you can get to grips with, and then kit out with another lens or two, any entry level canon camera, or nikon for that matter, theres little in it, just down to preference really, will do you fine.

my advice would be to go to a shop and try out a few, you need to be comfortable holding the camera, even if you ultimately go and buy online.

other things you will need will include a good quality case, memory card(s), possibly a spare battery or two, and possibly a UV filter - i have one just to protect the lens, as they are fairly inexpensive, and whilst people will argue that they slightly reduce image quality, as someone who takes her camera on boats, and wherever else, i would prefer to protect my lens!
noobynoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you want it for photos or video?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads