Physics electronincs Watch

This discussion is closed.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi all

Can you look at the attachet picture and tell me how the unequal resistances of R1 and R2 will affect the current - will it be inversely I assume, that is if 2R2 = R1 then the current through R2 will be twice that through R1 and the voltage will be half?

Is this correct?
Attached files
john !!
Rep:
?
Ok if the cell voltage is 9.0V, the current at the series resistor is 0.75A, and that resistor's resistance is 4 Ohm, and the far right hand side's resistancer is 24 Ohm, (and the left one is R) then I work out that R = 12. This seems alright to me... Now I just need to work out the current, which I'd assume is 0.5A through R.
GeneralGrievous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Hi all

Can you look at the attachet picture and tell me how the unequal resistances of R1 and R2 will affect the current - will it be inversely I assume, that is if 2R2 = R1 then the current through R2 will be twice that through R1 and the voltage will be half?

Is this correct?
the voltage accross them will be the same. the current through R1 will be R1/(R1+R2) of the total current, the current through R2 will be R2/(R1+R2) of the total current.
john !!
Rep:
?
Are you sure that's right? That seems to imply that the current favours the path of higher resistance.
GeneralGrievous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Are you sure that's right? That seems to imply that the current favours the path of higher resistance.
ah, sorry, thats the potential divider. for parallel, they are just inverses of the potential divider, so the current through R1 is (R1+R2)/R1, the current through R2 is (R1+R2)/R2
john !!
Rep:
?
...which holds which Ohm's law. Thanks, that what I was hoping to hear. I had a think about it while waiting for a response and half figures it out for myself, just what you said cleared it up completely.

Cheers,

Mike
GeneralGrievous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
...which holds which Ohm's law. Thanks, that what I was hoping to hear. I had a think about it while waiting for a response and half figures it out for myself, just what you said cleared it up completely.

Cheers,

Mike
hold up, i think i might have got that wrong too, (got a bit confused with the duality principle, sorry)

the current through R1 will be R2/(R1+R2) of the total current, the current through R2 will be R1/(R1+R2) of the total current.

that should be right now (hopefully - but dont take my word. ive probably made another horrible ghastly mistake.)
john !!
Rep:
?
No that makes sense - as the resistance increases in a thermistor in parallel with a fixed resistor, the voltage gobbled up by it increases but the current through it decreases because it's taking increasingly more voltage to pass through. R = V/I, so as R increases, you'd naturally expect a proportional drop in I to the rise in V.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%