The Student Room Group

People too obsessed with sex

Obviously, most of us want sex, even if we choose not to have it for religious/personal reasons or whatever.

Has anyone else noticed, however, that those people who are very obsessed with sex, for example:

-Those guys who spend a ridiculous amount of time reading pick-up artist books/learning "flirting techniques"/girls who spend a ridiculous amount of time working on their appearance so they can pull the hottest guy in the club

-Those people who constantly go on about whoever they've slept with/judge others for not sleeping with others even if it's through choice, and seem to think every moment is an appropriate time to start talking about sex. They're the sorts of people who think there's an age by which you must have lost your virginity or you're a "loser" or "immature", and that holding out for someone who actually cares about you is stupid because "you're making it out to be a big deal" :rolleyes:

-Those people whose descriptions of their relationships are always centred around sex, and who judge and pick their partners solely by how "experienced" they are

-Those guys who judge themselves by "how good they are with women" or those girls who judge themselves by "how many hot guys they've pulled," and who seem to find it hard to talk about the opposite sex or relate to them in any other way

seem to be a little imbalanced as their obsession often leads to other problems in their lives? For example, I know some people like this who find it hard to make meaningful friends of the opposite sex (you can see how hard it is for them) or have meaningful relationships that go beyond "how good was he/she last night?" They often seem to be doing less well in other areas of their lives as well (I know one guy who won't go to the gym or exercise because "why bother getting muscles when you could just become a master pick-up artist"? :facepalm2:)

Sometimes, they haven't even actually had much sex and you can see how bad they are at "pulling" because the desperation shines through; they're just plain obsessed with it.

Who else has noticed this?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've noticed that people like this dont usually notice they're doing it.

:colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I just tend to not strike up a conversation with these type of people. They also get really needy when they're going through a dry spell. I myself only ever do anything in a relationship. Don't really see the appeal of a one night stand.
It annoys me. A time and a place is ok to talk about it, but people who include it in every conversation really just annoys me... Anyone ever played that 'never have I ever' game for pre drinks? There are people that refer to sex at every opportunity with that game, which is why I always take the p*ss and say stupid things.

People who talk about it all the time are the ones who don't get enough :colone:
Original post by Seb.
:biggrin:

On a serious note though, most of these people are just insecure about themselves, and in order to hide it they behave as you have described them...

Yeah of course, people who always feel the need to gloat or talk about the sexual adventures are usually either virgins or get very little action.
Reply 5
They are just twits, ignore them. Their lives are empty and think they can feel the void with sex :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ipoop
They are just twits, ignore them. Their lives are empty and think they can feel the void with sex :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:holmes:

Anyhoo, I'm glad I haven't met people like that OP.
You seem to be describing the male undergraduate student with impeccable accuracy.
Reply 8
Original post by maskofsanity
You seem to be describing the male undergraduate student with impeccable accuracy.

Not all of them, or even most of them, from my experience (though the vast majority of the guys in my hall in first year were like that. I thought it was just a fresher thing, but whenever I see them around nowadays they haven't changed one bit :lol:)
Original post by Beatlemania
It annoys me. A time and a place is ok to talk about it, but people who include it in every conversation really just annoys me... Anyone ever played that 'never have I ever' game for pre drinks? There are people that refer to sex at every opportunity with that game, which is why I always take the p*ss and say stupid things.

People who talk about it all the time are the ones who don't get enough :colone:

Playing the drinking game "never have I ever" as a virgin/no sexual encounters of any kind keeps your remarkably sober ha :biggrin:
On the flip side, why should certain guys not try to improve their chances with women? Many people who look into those areas are shy, insecure and lack confidence and the material gives them the boost to be able to go and attract women. How is that kind of personal development a bad thing? It not only improves their ability to attract women but the confidence boost impacts all other areas of life. Sex is a natural need for us humans, and when you're deprived of it like some guys are, desperation is a natural response- often pick-up artist books etc are the only way to break this cycle.

I agree with you for the other points.
Personally, I tend to find that it's usually the good-looking people who can't seem to hold a relationship, due to "just shagging" every girl/boy they meet. I waited 7 months with my boyfriend until we both felt ready. I didn't take his virginity but he was still willing to wait until I felt comfortable enough. I find it annoying how, although I do find my boyfriend attractive, a lot of other people don't and always brag about how much better they must be in bed than him, but I am with him for his personality, not for the sex life. I tend to think that sex is a must for a lot of teenagers/young adults, whereas, I have more respect for myself, my body and my emotions. People seem to think it's about the size and the girth, whereas, I personally think it's about performance. I talk a lot about sex, and because I get on considerably better with males, as females tend to be overly bitchy, I do have a dirty mind, but I don't think it's unhealthy. I do think everyone should talk more about sex, to ensure everybody's safe and happy though, as too many people are getting stds, or conceiving when they don't want to. I think contraception should be highlighted more and that it should be highlighted how sex should have more meaning than it seems to have nowadays. I think of sex as non-emotional so I prefer to make love. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NatalieRamsden
and that it should be highlighted how sex should have more meaning than it seems to have nowadays. I think of sex as non-emotional so I prefer to make love. :smile:

Is that not a contradiction? You want to encourage the view of sex as meaningful yet you think of it as non-emotional?
Reply 13
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
On the flip side, why should certain guys not try to improve their chances with women? Many people who look into those areas are shy, insecure and lack confidence and the material gives them the boost to be able to go and attract women. How is that kind of personal development a bad thing? It not only improves their ability to attract women but the confidence boost impacts all other areas of life. Sex is a natural need for us humans, and when you're deprived of it like some guys are, desperation is a natural response- often pick-up artist books etc are the only way to break this cycle.

I agree with you for the other points.

Nothing wrong with trying to improve your chances (or sleeping around), but I think some people take it too far, almost like it's their sole hobby, as opposed to just learning a few flirting tips here and there. I hate being around a group of people like this - all they can talk about is "that bird/guy I pulled last night" or "the best technique to get women/men". And then they think they have the right to tell others that their attitude to sex is the "best" and that others are "frigid" for having different values.
Original post by Ezekiella
Obviously, most of us want sex, even if we choose not to have it for religious/personal reasons or whatever.

Has anyone else noticed, however, that those people who are very obsessed with sex, for example:

-Those guys who spend a ridiculous amount of time reading pick-up artist books/learning "flirting techniques"/girls who spend a ridiculous amount of time working on their appearance so they can pull the hottest guy in the club

-Those people who constantly go on about whoever they've slept with/judge others for not sleeping with others even if it's through choice, and seem to think every moment is an appropriate time to start talking about sex. They're the sorts of people who think there's an age by which you must have lost your virginity or you're a "loser" or "immature", and that holding out for someone who actually cares about you is stupid because "you're making it out to be a big deal" :rolleyes:

-Those people whose descriptions of their relationships are always centred around sex, and who judge and pick their partners solely by how "experienced" they are

-Those guys who judge themselves by "how good they are with women" or those girls who judge themselves by "how many hot guys they've pulled," and who seem to find it hard to talk about the opposite sex or relate to them in any other way

seem to be a little imbalanced as their obsession often leads to other problems in their lives? For example, I know some people like this who find it hard to make meaningful friends of the opposite sex (you can see how hard it is for them) or have meaningful relationships that go beyond "how good was he/she last night?" They often seem to be doing less well in other areas of their lives as well (I know one guy who won't go to the gym or exercise because "why bother getting muscles when you could just become a master pick-up artist"? :facepalm2:)

Sometimes, they haven't even actually had much sex and you can see how bad they are at "pulling" because the desperation shines through; they're just plain obsessed with it.

Who else has noticed this?

35p02u.jpg
Reply 15
Original post by skyblue1991
35p02u.jpg

Lol, what a stupid comment. I'm an attractive girl and have no trouble "pulling" guys in clubs; I just choose not to. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Yeah, there is that side to it.

..but some people just like sex.

Nothing wrong with either, really, as long as you're sensible about it.
Original post by Ezekiella
Lol, what a stupid comment. I'm an attractive girl and have no trouble "pulling" guys in clubs; I just choose not to. :rolleyes:

Pics or GTFO.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, there is that side to it.

..but some people just like sex.

Nothing wrong with either, really, as long as you're sensible about it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with liking sex obviously, I just find the way some people seem to centre their lives around it and go on about how others are "wasting their youth" by not sleeping around pretty obnoxious TBH.
Reply 19
Original post by skyblue1991
Pics or GTFO.

It's my thread - you're the only one who can leave :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest