Barts and the London A101 -- 2014 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brachioradialis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys and girls, who else is applying to Barts GEM this year?

My background:
-1st in Biomedical Science with a year in an NHS laboratory dealing with fungal disease;
-UKCAT: 640, 680, 800, 840 (740). Band 1 SJT;
-As part of that I helped participate in a public health initiative dealing with education and improving diagnostics for fungal disease in developing countries;
-Voluntary work in a local hospital and at Oxfam;
-Part-time carer at home;
-Shadowing experience in respiratory medicine, infectious diseases and vascular surgery. Potentially GP experience soon.
Cephalosporin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If my UKCAT is high enough, I'll give Barts A100 a go.
tamil4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hopefully A100
skyhook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moi, for A101.

Just enrolled in AS-level Biology at my old sixth form to improve my knowledge in this area (I'm a physicist) and satisfy the necessary requirements for Barts!
KStew
Badges: 0
Report 5 years ago
I thought about applying for GEP but it's hardcore competitive and I don't think I have the edge so A100 it is! I only know one person from BL on the GEP and she has a PhD 😶
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by KStew)
I thought about applying for GEP but it's hardcore competitive and I don't think I have the edge so A100 it is! I only know one person from BL on the GEP and she has a PhD 😶
I know people with 2:1s from an ex poly, so it's definitely doable. For barts it's all about a good ukcat to get an assessment centre invite. If you do well in the Ukcat it should be a definite choice
ol.h46
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm applying to Barts this year I applied last year also but just missed the ukcat cut off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
KStew
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJK91)
I know people with 2:1s from an ex poly, so it's definitely doable. For barts it's all about a good ukcat to get an assessment centre invite. If you do well in the Ukcat it should be a definite choice
I know it's super early but is there any indication of what the UKCAT cut off is this year? I've picked 3 of my choices and I'm debating on whether to apply to Barts GEP or a 5 year somewhere else.
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
(Original post by KStew)
I know it's super early but is there any indication of what the UKCAT cut off is this year? I've picked 3 of my choices and I'm debating on whether to apply to Barts GEP or a 5 year somewhere else.
Assume 10-15 points higher than last year. Was it 710 or so?
ol.h46
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJK91)
Assume 10-15 points higher than last year. Was it 710 or so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 705 for 2013 entry
juliam
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got a good enough UKCAT but my AS results weren't great - do Barts take them into consideration?
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
For graduate entry or undergraduate? Can't help you on the latter as this is the graduate entry thread. If you have a science degree with significant biology and chemistry then only your degree class is important. Otherwise you need AS chemistry and biology I think!?
Hforster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has anyone experienced interviews at these 'selection centres'? I need to narrow down my choices, but both Warwick and Barts use this selection centre process - which sounds terrifying!
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Supposedly very straight forward and low pressure when you're there. Wouldn't worry about them too much!
enchanted-fireflies
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hforster)
Has anyone experienced interviews at these 'selection centres'? I need to narrow down my choices, but both Warwick and Barts use this selection centre process - which sounds terrifying!
The selection centre honestly isn't terrifying, I thought it would be too but everyone was so welcoming and you almost forgot that you were being assessed/observed for the most part, it is quite enjoyable
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
(Original post by enchanted-fireflies)
The selection centre honestly isn't terrifying, I thought it would be too but everyone was so welcoming and you almost forgot that you were being assessed/observed for the most part, it is quite enjoyable
I presume you got in last time around? congratulations if so! Where did you end up?
enchanted-fireflies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJK91)
I presume you got in last time around? congratulations if so! Where did you end up?
Thank you, I did, I'm on the official countdown now (two weeks tomorrow) before starting at Barts.

I hope you have better luck this year!
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Thank you, I did, I'm on the official countdown now (two weeks tomorrow) before starting at Barts.

I hope you have better luck this year!
Thank you, as do I you must be hugely excited! Are you from London originally or moving down?
enchanted-fireflies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJK91)
Thank you, as do I you must be hugely excited! Are you from London originally or moving down?
I think I'm more nervous than excited, I feel like I've built it up so much in my mind that I don't know what to expect

I'm from Kent originally, so a little further South but moved to Manchester for my previous degree and now London, apparently I like to mix things up a little :rolleyes:
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
I think I'm more nervous than excited, I feel like I've built it up so much in my mind that I don't know what to expect

I'm from Kent originally, so a little further South but moved to Manchester for my previous degree and now London, apparently I like to mix things up a little :rolleyes:
Ah I'm sure that will turn to excitement upon Freshers Haha not bad! I'm from Nottingham originally and now Manchester, and hopefully London from next September too!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads