What Do They Think They Are Playing AT??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
nodabooper
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hello!!
i hav been rejected from Imperial and Bristol for Medicine...
got an offer from Nottingham..
i would just like to ask what do they think they are playing at! and don't give me all that about competition...because i do seem to think i am at a loss...statistics show very few about 10-15% students get all As in their A-Levels...and no i am not saying all i have done is study for the last one of so years...
i have done **** loads of work experience, Nuffield Bursary (researched into PHd equivalent material...would like to ask medic applicants if they know what anti-HLA is and what part they play in our physiology) and oh about 150 people in london do this bursary...and i am just about 100% sure that not all apply for medicine...done about everything the school offers...(YE, sixth form committee, school council, sports..) and have got about 90% avg. in every module of A/AS level…

so please tell me…what have I done so flipping wrong…

all opinions welcome…even if you think I am bigheaded b****!
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
you've done nothing wrong, you do however have a standard medicine application form, you are very unlikely to get more than two offers, be happy with the notts one
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i can tell that you're gutted and really don't mean to come across as a big headed ******* however, while only 10-15% of all students get 3A's at A Level thats still about, say, 30,000 students, and a lot of these will want to go on to competitive courses like medicine. if you really want to know where your application was weak i'd contact the universities and ask for feedback. nottingham is a great university though and i'm sure you'll love it their!
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd say you wronged- THEIR LOSS!! go to notts and have a great time!
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
were wronged*
nodabooper
(Original post by rah)
you've done nothing wrong, you do however have a standard medicine application form, you are very unlikely to get more than two offers, be happy with the notts one

so all medicine applicant hav done pilot studies of medical research before starting their course and have published work..

i wonder...
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nodabooper)
so all medicine applicant hav done pilot studies of medical research before starting their course and have published work..

i wonder...
it is possible they thought you'd get an oxbridge offer and so not consider them...
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

i wonder...

all applicants will have some form of work experience yes...

and AAB/AAA, good references, stupid amounts of clubs/socities/ec's to put on their ps
nodabooper
(Original post by rah)
all applicants will have some form of work experience yes...

and AAB/AAA, good references, stupid amounts of clubs/socities/ec's to put on their ps

i am not saying that i am the best candidate in this whole country (or should i say the world?)...
i am just saying that i should hav been given the opportunity to display my potential in an interview...and not just through a 500 word essay...and after you are rejected...and u ask them for the reason they are unable to disclose due confidentiality...
RoyFester
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You sound rather pretentious to me !

(Maybe they wanted someone who could write properly! :P )
ericsimo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i wouldn't stress about it, unless you want to raid the transcripts of those who beat you out and kill the ones with lesser qualifications.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your attitude, possibly?
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i wonder...
I think even with all your grades and everything, there's a lot of competition for medicine. I'd assume that it's only the best students who apply for it because it's such a gruelling degree. Although only 10-15% students get straight A's over all, I expect this % is much higher among medicine applicants.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i am not saying that i am the best candidate in this whole country (or should i say the world?)...
i am just saying that i should hav been given the opportunity to display my potential in an interview...and not just through a 500 word essay...and after you are rejected...and u ask them for the reason they are unable to disclose due confidentiality...
CONFIDENTIALITY! between you and them? how is that not confidential? they could have written and explained why, or asked you questions over the phone to prove who you were, like ucas id and password. MAD.

Nottingham is excellently rated for medicine, im sure you will be outstanding wherever you go.
koalapiyo
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ericsimo)
i wouldn't stress about it, unless you want to raid the transcripts of those who beat you out and kill the ones with lesser qualifications.
don't stress out.

you can never assume that the people applying to those other schools were less qualified than you. there are people who go onto medicine with Phds, and first degrees. then you have all the foreign students with their 5 A's at A level. all medicine courses anywhere are highly competitive.

assuming you were better, then it comes down to lots of other quirky factors.

the fact is, all medical schools will get you where you want to be: a doctor. and when u are a doctor, it doesn't matter if you were at cambridge, oxford, aberdeen, leicester, cardiff. the patient won't care less - all they care about is if you're a good doctor or not.

go to notts, and have a good time.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hello!!
i would just like to ask what do they think they are playing at! and don't give me all that about competition...because i do seem to think i am at a loss...statistics show very few about 10-15% students get all As in their A-Levels...and no i am not saying all i have done is study for the last one of so years...
i have done **** loads of work experience, Nuffield Bursary (researched into PHd equivalent material...would like to ask medic applicants if they know what anti-HLA is and what part they play in our physiology) and oh about 150 people in london do this bursary...and i am just about 100% sure that not all apply for medicine...done about everything the school offers...(YE, sixth form committee, school council, sports..) and have got about 90% avg. in every module of A/AS level…

Sorry dude but you're as good as everyone else. Everyone applying to do medicine always has a ridiculously good set of qualifications, clubs etc, you would be amazed if you saw the quality of the applications from the competition! Also, 3 (or 4, can't remember lol) of my friends ( 2/3 doing medicine) got the Nuffield Bursary research thing. Their photos are up on the wall at school

Anyway, you're very lucky to get one offer, some people get none.
nodabooper
(Original post by Maddock)
You sound rather pretentious to me !

(Maybe they wanted someone who could write properly! :P )

'pretentious'? do you know what it means?
...i am just some one who is utterly pissed...

and what do you mean by who could write properly, at least according to me you need to improve your reading skills! (or may be the reading material is too difficult?)
adrian
Report 15 years ago
'pretentious'? do you know what it means?
...i am just some one who is utterly pissed...

and what do you mean by who could write properly, at least according to me you need to improve your reading skills! (or may be the reading material is too difficult?)
Your head needs serious deflating! I too got four A's at AS level, 9A* at GCSE and am predicted 3A for A2 but so far I have only one offer and it isn't even at such a highly regarded institution as Notts. It's birmingham. But what do I care? I'm going to come out a doctor at the end of it. So stop blowing your own trumpet. You aren't that special. There are plenty of other people out there who are just as good as you. Just thank your lucky stars that you have got an offer from a place like Notts in the first place.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by adrian)
I'm going to come out a doctor at the end of it.
I think that in the end this is the most important point to remember. Sure there is nothing wrong with being annoyed or angry but in the end you will just have to move on and realise how lucky you were in the first place. Plenty of medical applicants each year have to walk away with no offers, each desperate to become a doctor. I think that anyone who has received a place at a medical school should ultimately be grateful as we are fortunate enough to have gained the opportunity to study what we are passionate about.

Nottingham is a fantastic university and has a great reputation for medicine. Considering they rejected so many amazing candidates (including all of the applicants from my school), I would be well chuffed for receiving an offer
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hello!!

The admissions procedure can be shocking at times - You shall succeed wherever you go.

Jools has a friend that was literally godly in every criteria: ticked every box. - He got rejected by Oxford.

Although that isn't that relevant to your case, it does happen. I am sorry to hear your possible injustice - Although take heart in the fact that some really keen medic has that place; not much of a consolation I know, but still...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%