The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
teachers/ ex teachers
most of my teachers mark exams, and i'm assuming that ex teachers can apply to do it too
Reply 2
They are teachers, are they not?

Well, that is what I always thought, anyway.
Reply 3
Usually teachers, but sometimes they let anyone with a relevant degree if they're sort on markers. But all papers are moderated and assessed, so no marker should be stricter/more lenient than others.
Reply 4
That's good to know!

I hope they like a challenge with handwriting, i hear the OCR Applied ICT papers are scanned and sent over the internet!
Reply 5
YEH...some do online marking, its always the same with our exam officer..."do not write in the sections outside the margin. This paper is designed for online marking" He's like a robot!

anyway i hope they do like a challenge with the handwriting....My english! ah. Its llike a scribble all the way! lol aint that bad.... but i have beeen told by my teacher its hard 2 read. so :s

AND TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION: They are HUMANS! *gasp* *faints* lol.
Reply 6
If they can't read the scanned copy, then they'll request the real copy and mark it from that. And if one person can't read it, they'll pass it around until they find someone who can.
Reply 8
Well loads of teachers do to get a bit more money.
I got a mate though, hes at uni, and he's marking AQA scripts....and not in the subjects he has A levels in.
Reply 9
My ICT teacher is an examiner, and so is my RS teacher and my English teacher. So I think it can be a mix of current teachers and ex teachers... but according to my ICT teacher they do sometimes recruit people that are not experts at the subject to do the marking! Only for the clear right/wrong answer type of exams though.

And I think aliens play a part too :p:
Reply 10
Excalibur
My ICT teacher is an examiner, and so is my RS teacher and my English teacher. So I think it can be a mix of current teachers and ex teachers... but according to my ICT teacher they do sometimes recruit people that are not experts at the subject to do the marking! Only for the clear right/wrong answer type of exams though.

And I think aliens play a part too :p:

I'm sure that they have have upgraded from that system and a computer marks single word answers these days so like in a French Listening exam in which you had to put down options like A G F , the computer automatically marks it. They used to hire "clerks" who checked all the marks were added correctly but thee devil - teh computer has stolen those jobs as well.

It'd be cool if Martians were involved somewhere along the line!
Reply 11
Cataclysm

Well, do you think they are not?

I mean, with the warning of 'This Page is Blank', any human would clearly recognise that, therefore there are secret messages encoded into the blank page to allow Martians to read them properly...

Why do you think the exam boards are so strict on Mobile Phones? Even if they are off, the Martians can penetrate our skin with their Martiany thoughts and give us the answers to the exam.
Reply 12
t-a-r-online
Well, do you think they are not?

I mean, with the warning of 'This Page is Blank', any human would clearly recognise that, therefore there are secret messages encoded into the blank page to allow Martians to read them properly...

Why do you think the exam boards are so strict on Mobile Phones? Even if they are off, the Martians can penetrate our skin with their Martiany thoughts and give us the answers to the exam.

Actually, being one of the people who mocks the idea of a "blank page" there is a actually a good reason behind it as explained by our Examinations Officer; they purposefully write "BLANK PAGE" because in the exam when you are doing questions, students would often get confused when they saw a blank page, many would think that their paper didn't have the question printed properly and would panic, so to ease everyone you can have the assurance that on the blank there is no content intended to be there and you can carry on merrily.
Reply 13
Yeah, that's the reason i thought they had them aswell... if there was a blank page in the middle of an Edexcel Exam you'd thing "ey up" (excuse my broad Yorkshire Accent)!
Cataclysm
I'm sure that they have have upgraded from that system and a computer marks single word answers these days so like in a French Listening exam in which you had to put down options like A G F , the computer automatically marks it. They used to hire "clerks" who checked all the marks were added correctly but thee devil - teh computer has stolen those jobs as well.

Yeah, I suppose. The multiple choice questions and stuff are probably marked by an OMR reader.

One of my exams had four pages of "This page is a blank page"... I mean... why put it in there in the first place??
Cataclysm
Actually, being one of the people who mocks the idea of a "blank page" there is a actually a good reason behind it as explained by our Examinations Officer; they purposefully write "BLANK PAGE" because in the exam when you are doing questions, students would often get confused when they saw a blank page, many would think that their paper didn't have the question printed properly and would panic, so to ease everyone you can have the assurance that on the blank there is no content intended to be there and you can carry on merrily.

Ah but as soon as "This is a blank page" is written down on a page, is that page blank anymore? No. :biggrin:
Reply 16
t-a-r-online
Who are Examiners?

Evil...:frown:
Reply 17
Jaswarbrick
Ah but as soon as "This is a blank page" is written down on a page, is that page blank anymore? No. :biggrin:

No argument there but I doubt many Foundation students would be humoured by paradoxes on their examination paper if it states something like;

Page left intentionally blank - but since it has writing on it, it isn't blank anymore.
Reply 18
I'm sure one exam board writes something like "no questions appear on this page".

It's so they keep all the questions that go onto 2 pages on a double page spread rather than you having to flick back and forwards coz that would really be annoying!
Reply 19
Does anyone know if the OCR English Language papers are scanned and sent over the internet? Because i wrote in the "Please leave blank" margin next to something to clarify that that part of the writing was meant to be in a new paragraph.

Latest