The Student Room Group

Msc/phd in pure mathematics

I need some advice,

I've just finished my 2nd year at UCL studying the Bsc in mathematics. I've so far really enjoyed my course and I'm hoping to go on to do a phd somewhere. Now, like everyone else, I want to go to the best place possible.

So far, my grades are fairly good, every exam I've sat I've gotten 90%+, except one applied module where I got 88%. I've spoken to certain professors at UCL and they seem very happy to take me on as a phd student after my third year, but I'm not sure if I should go to somewhere "better" or more prestigious.

I've done some research and I've decided that I want to stay in the UK for at least my masters (if I have to do one), but I don't mind going to the US for a phd. I've taken a look at Cambridge Part III and I've heard very good things about it, but there is a problem and that's the funding. Currently I only have £10k saved up, which would make Cambridge a very big stretch, while if I stayed at UCL I wouldn't have to do a masters, and I'd probably get funding also. I've also taken a look at Imperial's masters, and that's around £6k, meaning I could easily afford it and I could stay with my parents while studying for it. However, is Imperial really that much "better" than UCL? I understand how Cambridge can be seen as that, but I'm not so sure about Imperial.

Overall, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just stick with UCL or perhaps do another year at UCL and get a Msci then apply to other universities? Should I go to Imperial or somehow get more money for Cambridge... I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if there are many math experts in this forum, but I hope someone does respond.

note: my research area would most probably be something to do with Lie algebras and algebraic groups.

Here is a link to what we study at UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates
Imperial masters: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mathematics/postgraduatecourses/puremathematics

Hope someone can help, thanks.

edit: I hope to go onto academia, failing that, finance - so prestige is important.
Reply 1
Original post by mathsguy1
I need some advice,

I've just finished my 2nd year at UCL studying the Bsc in mathematics. I've so far really enjoyed my course and I'm hoping to go on to do a phd somewhere. Now, like everyone else, I want to go to the best place possible.

So far, my grades are fairly good, every exam I've sat I've gotten 90%+, except one applied module where I got 88%. I've spoken to certain professors at UCL and they seem very happy to take me on as a phd student after my third year, but I'm not sure if I should go to somewhere "better" or more prestigious.

I've done some research and I've decided that I want to stay in the UK for at least my masters (if I have to do one), but I don't mind going to the US for a phd. I've taken a look at Cambridge Part III and I've heard very good things about it, but there is a problem and that's the funding. Currently I only have £10k saved up, which would make Cambridge a very big stretch, while if I stayed at UCL I wouldn't have to do a masters, and I'd probably get funding also. I've also taken a look at Imperial's masters, and that's around £6k, meaning I could easily afford it and I could stay with my parents while studying for it. However, is Imperial really that much "better" than UCL? I understand how Cambridge can be seen as that, but I'm not so sure about Imperial.

Overall, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just stick with UCL or perhaps do another year at UCL and get a Msci then apply to other universities? Should I go to Imperial or somehow get more money for Cambridge... I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if there are many math experts in this forum, but I hope someone does respond.

note: my research area would most probably be something to do with Lie algebras and algebraic groups.

Here is a link to what we study at UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates
Imperial masters: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mathematics/postgraduatecourses/puremathematics

Hope someone can help, thanks.

edit: I hope to go onto academia, failing that, finance - so prestige is important.

It's unusual for something to score such a high 1st to do a masters.

I suggest you go straight to a PhD and head to the US, where you could get some generous bursary / scholarships.
Reply 2
Original post by powwer
It's unusual for something to score such a high 1st to do a masters.

I suggest you go straight to a PhD and head to the US, where you could get some generous bursary / scholarships.

Thanks for your response,

I'll most certainly look into it but I don't think I'm that competitive. I only have one summer of research and nothing published. I'll try to do something next year, but we'll see. Also, for practice I usually do worksheets/past papers from other universities. Some European universities have insanely hard worksheets, harder than most of the Cambridge ones and most certainly UCL's. So when doing these, I usually always need to look up how to do the problem, or spend a few hours on it. Students from these universities would most certainly be more prepared than me for a mathematics phd - so I really don't think I'm competitive for any US scholarships.
Reply 3
When it comes to postgraduate level, reputation of the institution as a whole is less important than the department/supervisor you work under especially if you hope to make a career in academia. It's quite possible that a so-called lower ranked uni might have a better department for what you want to do. In academia, the department (or supervisor) will be well known and respected by those in the field, regardless of the uni it belongs to. A respected and prominent supervisor with good contacts will get you further than the reputation of your university in academia.

And don't bother with a masters if you're getting grades like that :tongue:
Reply 4

I'll most certainly look into it but I don't think I'm that competitive. I only have one summer of research and nothing published. I'll try to do something next year, but we'll see. Also, for practice I usually do worksheets/past papers from other universities. Some European universities have insanely hard worksheets, harder than most of the Cambridge ones and most certainly UCL's. So when doing these, I usually always need to look up how to do the problem, or spend a few hours on it. Students from these universities would most certainly be more prepared than me for a mathematics phd - so I really don't think I'm competitive for any US scholarships.

Judging from the candidates I've interviwed, I agree.

You'll be surprised how many, especially on TSR, think Oxbridge maths is head and shoulders above all other places, especially given they haven't seen the quality of some of the top graduates from other parts of Europe, like Poland and Romainia in particular.
Reply 5
thanks for the responses so far
Reply 6

Can you provide a link to the question sheets of European universities? Also, I would say either stick at UCL or if you can afford it (perhaps look at college or university scholarships), go to Cambridge to do Part III. Having an MSci at UCL with the grades you have should get you in to do a PhD wherever you like, with perhaps the exception of Cambridge who like you to have part III.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending