The Student Room Group

Will we get our deposit refunded if we don't get a place at uni on results day?

Hi, I searched a lot of threads and online but still haven't found an answer yet.
But I was wondering if the uni accommodation deposits we have to pay when applying for accommodation will be given back if we don't get accepted into uni on results day. Or at-least some of it if they charge for the paper work and such.
Reply 1
Well my uni asks a 200 pound deposit which they said they'll refund

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Akos101
Hi, I searched a lot of threads and online but still haven't found an answer yet.
But I was wondering if the uni accommodation deposits we have to pay when applying for accommodation will be given back if we don't get accepted into uni on results day. Or at-least some of it if they charge for the paper work and such.

If you've paid the university accomodation team then they will most likely refund you. If you've paid a provide halls provider they usually are accomodating but you cant bank on it. If you've paid a private landlord then you cant expect it back and your liable for rent unless you find someone else to take your place.
Reply 3
Thanks everyone for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
If you've paid the university accomodation team then they will most likely refund you. If you've paid a provide halls provider they usually are accomodating but you cant bank on it. If you've paid a private landlord then you cant expect it back and your liable for rent unless you find someone else to take your place.

^^This^^
Reply 5
I got a reply from Aston Uni. They offer you an accommodation only after results day so it good. You don't have to worry about the refund, because you will know whether you got a place or not before you pay the deposit.
Also if for some reason, you don't end up going to the uni but have already paid the deposit, then you will get £100 back out of the £200 deposit you paid.
:biggrin:
That's a relieve. :smile:
I applied for Greenwich University, and I have to pay at least £200 of the £400 deposit before I get my results (I actually have to do it today) but I have no idea if I'll be refunded as as I live with my parents I rely on them for help and they won't pay unless they know if they'll get their deposit back if I don't get the grades, and I'm so close to just giving up on university this year as it doesn't look like I'll manage to get the grades I need this year (and I don't have the money to do it)
Original post by Akos101

Hi there,
You'd be best asking your university accommodation team directly. If they have a cancellation policy, this should outline what would happen if you did not get accepted into the uni. In most (but not all) cases, you would likely receive your deposit back as you would not be a student at that university.

Hope that helps!

- Sophie
Reply 8
Original post by dynamiteeli69
I applied for Greenwich University, and I have to pay at least £200 of the £400 deposit before I get my results (I actually have to do it today) but I have no idea if I'll be refunded as as I live with my parents I rely on them for help and they won't pay unless they know if they'll get their deposit back if I don't get the grades, and I'm so close to just giving up on university this year as it doesn't look like I'll manage to get the grades I need this year (and I don't have the money to do it)

Probably better to start your own thread, rather than bump a 9 year old one! But to answer your question, it seems like they'll refund the deposit in full if you cancel more than 3 weeks before the contract start date (see https://docs.gre.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/137086/Accommodation-Licence-Key-Facts.pdf), so check how that lines up with the results date to see what your liability would be.
A good reminder to read refund policies before you put any money down.
Original post by Interea
Probably better to start your own thread, rather than bump a 9 year old one! But to answer your question, it seems like they'll refund the deposit in full if you cancel more than 3 weeks before the contract start date (see https://docs.gre.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/137086/Accommodation-Licence-Key-Facts.pdf), so check how that lines up with the results date to see what your liability would be.

Thank you so much for replying, last night I was having a bit of an autistic meltdown, and I had no idea how to make a new thread as this is my first time on this site. Thank you for the link as well, it’s a great help and has made it feel less scary going to university
Reply 11
Original post by dynamiteeli69
Thank you so much for replying, last night I was having a bit of an autistic meltdown, and I had no idea how to make a new thread as this is my first time on this site. Thank you for the link as well, it’s a great help and has made it feel less scary going to university

No worries, I can definitely appreciate how overwhelming uni stuff can get (particularly close to deadlines!). Welcome to the site though, there are plenty of people here happy to help if you get stuck on anything else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending