The Student Room Group

How to study and organize for these subjects?

Hey these are the courses i am going to be doing in sixth form and at home what are you advice on organisation tips and what to buy for them.

A Levels

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Sociology (AQA)

Psychology (AQA)

Japanese (Edexcel)

EPQ (Unknown Yet)

Environmental Science (AQA)

BTEC L3 Applied Science Double Award (Edexcel)

GCSE

IGCSE English Lit No Coursework (AQA)

Russian (Edexcel) (Speaking and Listing Short Course Year 12) (Reading and Writing Short Course Year 13)

Japanese (Edexcel) (Reading and Writing Short Course Year 13)

I'm doing AQA Chemistry A level next year! We were given a small booklet, and were told to refresh ourselves of the very basics of GCSE.
For languages, news programmes/ films (with english subtitles) and websites like memrise are useful.
EPQ you don't have to worry about until later, as your school will help prepare you.

Are you doing all of that in two years?! That's a lot!

I can't really help you on the rest, sorry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! You are doing so many A-Levels. You can only do four at my school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
And I would love to do Japanese! What does that subject involve?

(Sorry if this isn't related to your question).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ShaneJ
Hey these are the courses i am going to be doing in sixth form and at home what are you advice on organisation tips and what to buy for them.

A Levels

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Sociology (AQA)

Psychology (AQA)

Japanese (Edexcel)

EPQ (Unknown Yet)

GCSE

Russian (Edexcel) (Speaking and Listing Short Course Year 12) (Reading and Writing Short Course Year 13)

I am doing biology AQA. Just started A2. If you go on the study help biology page I have a thread for new AS level students - to give general advice on topics or the course as a whole. For AQA biology I found some awesome notes on a website from a school (not my school but they are well detailed). I read through these and purchased the Nelson Thornes book. Links for both these are below:

http://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/index.php?p=10312

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-AS-Students-Book/dp/0748782753/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374348460&sr=8-1&keywords=Nelson+Thornes+biology+AS

I did EPQ as well. Start to think of a question you can easily research and conduct questionnaires/interviews on. I did mine on my sisters' scoliosis and spinal surgery. Choose something you have access to, and that you are passionate about. If you have no interest you'll easily get bored, as one of my friends did.

I'm sorry I can't offer you much advice on the others, but I hope this helps you a bit :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ShaneJ

A Levels

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Sociology (AQA)

Psychology (AQA)

Japanese (Edexcel)

EPQ (Unknown Yet)

GCSE

Hello there :smile:

I've just completed AQA AS Chemistry, and I would say the best thing to do is, after every lesson, write up some proper notes from the notes you made in lessons and from revision guides (I had this [mainly helpful for explaining things in a more simple way I found), this [went into tonnes of detail which was great at times for adding to notes and giving context] and 2 smaller collins ones specific to the first 2 units [can't seem to find them on the internet now unfortunately]). I then tend to write these notes repeatedly from memory, condensing them down each time. Make sure you understand everything in lessons and go back and ask for help if not - if you don't it'll just pile on top of you and revision will be learning from scratch rather than reinforcing what you already know and understand. I do have some good notes made by teachers as well so if you'd like them once you start, PM me and I'll try and get hold of them! Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've just completed the AQA sociology A Level course. For AS get the Collins AQA textbook- it has a white cover and for A2 get the AQA one which is blue with people on the front smiling- they are the best textbooks. Would not recommend this course if you have not done GCSE sociology, as there are some very hard concepts to grasp. If you have a choice, do these modules; wealth welfare and poverty, education, global development, Crime and Deviance. Most enjoyable modules and nicer and more relevant! Start making revision notes as you got through the course as there is too much to leave till a few weeks before the exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending