The Student Room Group

UCAS reference dilemma

I am trying to figure out which university tutor I should ask to supply my UCAS reference for graduate entry medicine.

1. Personal tutor. He's taught me for two years and knows of my academic capabilities, exam results, etc. I am not so sure if he would write extensively about my suitability for medicine or commitment as I've never voiced my wish to apply until very recently. In the past, he has also never offered a degree classification prediction of a 1st, preferring to predict 1st/2:i even though my exam results for the last two years all >70%.

2. Lab supervisor. We get on quite well and even though I've only been working with him for a few months, I see him almost on a daily basis. My lab project involves recruiting and testing on subjects for clinical trials. I feel like he can comment more on my suitability for medicine. I've also discussed with him about wanting to apply to study medicine and the work experience/voluntary work I've undertaken. One drawback: He can't provide a predicted degree classification as he is not my tutor. Although I'm hoping I can supply him with my official transcript and he can make a prediction based on that.

What do you think? Who do you think I should ask?
Reply 1
Original post by Arrhythmia
I am trying to figure out which university tutor I should ask to supply my UCAS reference for graduate entry medicine.

1. Personal tutor. He's taught me for two years and knows of my academic capabilities, exam results, etc. I am not so sure if he would write extensively about my suitability for medicine or commitment as I've never voiced my wish to apply until very recently. In the past, he has also never offered a degree classification prediction of a 1st, preferring to predict 1st/2:i even though my exam results for the last two years all >70%.

2. Lab supervisor. We get on quite well and even though I've only been working with him for a few months, I see him almost on a daily basis. My lab project involves recruiting and testing on subjects for clinical trials. I feel like he can comment more on my suitability for medicine. I've also discussed with him about wanting to apply to study medicine and the work experience/voluntary work I've undertaken. One drawback: He can't provide a predicted degree classification as he is not my tutor. Although I'm hoping I can supply him with my official transcript and he can make a prediction based on that.

What do you think? Who do you think I should ask?

You should ask your lab supervisor to write a reference for you, then ask your personal tutor to integrate it into his/her reference or use points that he has made in their reference :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending