The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Don't worry about it. There's hardly any A02 stuff for love really. Examiners do realise and are leniant when they ask questions that A-level textbooks don't fully cover
oooo thanks for that - i didn't have last June's question, and i noticed love hadn't come up for ages, but i guess now that makes it less likely to come up this year.

However, for AO2:

Support for the three-factor theory from Dutton and Aron (1974) in their 'love on a suspension bridge' experiment.

Hazan and Shaver's (1987) love quiz (also AO1 for theory of love as an attachment process). Findings supported by a number of other studies e.g Feeney and Noller (1990) found that securely attached individuals had the most long-term enduring romantic relationships. However, such studies rely on retrospective classification. Although, McCarthy (1999) found similar results after originally studying attachment types whilst women were in infancy. Research also correlational so cause and effect hard to establish.

A limitation of Sternberg's theory is that it doesn't explain how love develops in the first place. So he extended his theory to take account of the 'stories' that people develop concerning what they believe love should be (Sternberg, 1998). He interviewed college students about their romantic expectations and identified 25 common stories that people use to describe love e.g fairy-tale, gardening. When he applied the analysis to couples, those with similar profiles tended to be more satisfied than those with less similar profiles.

Also cultural differences:
In the West, the general belief is that people marry for love. This idea has increased in non-Western societies as they become more industrialized and individualistic (Moghaddam, 1998). However, young people in collectivist cultures are more likely to marry someone they do not love (Levine et al, 1995).

In the Dani society of Western New Guinea there is indifference to sexual activity (Heider, 1976). Premarital and extramarital affairs are rare, and married couples usually wait about two years after marriage before having intercourse.
Reply 3
Thanx a lot Mrs Rickman!!
you're welcome :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending