The Student Room Group

Hardest IB combinations?

What are the hardest combinations of HL's?

I heard the popular East-Asia centric subjects of PCM aka Physics , Chem and Math is one of the harder mix of subjects

Personally i'm taking HL History Economics and English and think its a reasonably difficult trio seeing as all are 'essay' subjects.
Reply 1
You hit the nail right on the head. Also, HL Econ is one of the easier HL subjects out there.
Reply 2
It really depends on what you are good at but yes, most people would consider HL physics, math, and chemistry the hardest.
I can attest to this, while I never expected to get full 6's or 7's I didn't think I would get something as bad as a 5, 5, and a 4 in Math. The workload wasn't too bad because I didn't study too much for Chemistry, but I found math to be the most difficult class by a large margin because we didn't get all of the periods we needed to complete the curriculum. To be fair though, my Physics grade was a borderline 6.

Physics is good, Chemistry is fine, but in combination with Math it's quite difficult to balance your time between all of the classes as there is a lot of content to cover and Maths is a lot of practice (imo).
I found the combination of Higher Maths and Higher History quite trying. There's a whole lot of information and a particular way of thinking you've got to pin down in each subject.
Original post by Maazin
What are the hardest combinations of HL's?

I heard the popular East-Asia centric subjects of PCM aka Physics , Chem and Math is one of the harder mix of subjects

Personally i'm taking HL History Economics and English and think its a reasonably difficult trio seeing as all are 'essay' subjects.

I took HL English, History and Geography so I'm gonna guess the workload is pretty similar. It's not difficult per se, but those kind of subjects have a lot more content to be learned IMO so if you don't put the work in to really learning it then it will be hard. All depends on what your aptitude is for anyway, but personally I didn't find my HLs all that difficult, just quite time consuming.
The people at my school who failed their diplomas did so because of HL Math and/or HL Physics, so they are probably the most universally difficult subjects.
Reply 6
Physics, Chem and Math at HL is quite challenging.
Personally, I also think another crazy trio would be Physics, Math and Computer Studies....all at HL
Reply 7
Original post by LuckyMe
Physics, Chem and Math at HL is quite challenging.
Personally, I also think another crazy trio would be Physics, Math and Computer Studies....all at HL

Funny, I know someone who has those 3 HLs and Comp Sci is his only 7.

I actually find English, Math and Art/Music HL to be the worst combination, as I am a science-oriented person.
Reply 8
Similarly what would be the easiest?

I heard ESS and Business are both ridiculously simple and almost ignored by universities
Reply 9
I had 777 in Math/Chem/Phys HL, and I didn't find it too difficult, nor did I spend too much time on revision (my revision pretty much started the week before exams)
My nemesis is probably English, so I guess it really depends on the person :smile:
Easiest combination: HL English (Lang/Lit) , Business, ITGS, SL Maths Studies, ESS and Spanish Ab intio
Hardest combination: HL Maths, Chem, Physics, SL Latin, History, English

IMO the Arts (Music, Art etc) suck up all your time, along with CAS.
Reply 11
Original post by Buttercup26
Easiest combination: HL English (Lang/Lit) , Business, ITGS, SL Maths Studies, ESS and Spanish Ab intio
Hardest combination: HL Maths, Chem, Physics, SL Latin, History, English

IMO the Arts (Music, Art etc) suck up all your time, along with CAS.

But isn't HL English difficult? Yeah i heard Latin is hard as well!

And true with arts , they are really time consuming and need dedicated excess dedicated work hours
Reply 12
I personally think that HL PCM is the toughest.
However, Economics is not easy either.
Reply 13
Original post by anuj999
I personally think that HL PCM is the toughest.
However, Economics is not easy either.

I would gladly take PCM over English, an art and History. I guess it just depends on the person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending