The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Clip
Actually - that's exactly what they are.

No it's not, they're for public use, open to the public, anyone can use them.
Reply 21
Original post by Scumbaggio
I agree in a way.

If they're stealing something to eat because they genuinely have no other choice then I have no problem with that.

For me you can't morally justify attempting to run away when you have a £25 taxi fair to pay. If she was that skint she could have got 2 buses for probably about £20 less or walked.

I'm not saying she's correct in doing it, i'm just saying i'm not surprised really
Reply 22
Original post by GPH92

That's for the person's morality to decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
Original post by geetar

This mad me angry. Not so much because of the fare-dodging, but because people watching it demand that he lets her go. She has committed a crime, and the taxi driver is lawfully entitled to make a citizen's arrest on her. Even though she is in the wrong, he is the one getting blamed. I think their behaviour is disgraceful.

I know a few cab drivers who wouldn't stand for a fare dodger (and they haven't before) nor would they listen to any passers by that object. They would just get on with it. Rightly so in my opinion. The woman was a fare dodger, she deserved to be held. It wasn't the business of the passers by they should have just stfu and minded their own business.
Original post by GPH92
Well if you're gonna fare dodge, do it in luxury haha.

I suppose there's less witnesses to make citizen's arrests. Easier to run off after the taxi takes you wherever, whereas on buses you have to pay first.
Reply 25
Original post by GPH92
That's for the person's morality to decide.

Then by that logic it's up to the taxi driver's morality to decide how fare dodgers should be punished isn't it?
Reply 26
Original post by Nick100
Then by that logic it's up to the taxi driver's morality to decide how fare dodgers should be punished isn't it?

Well to a certain extent yes, but then I never said he was in the wrong for apprehending her. All I said was I empathise with people who fare dodge, not that it was the correct thing to do, nor that the taxi driver was in the wrong.
Reply 27
Well, someone caught it all on camera so it shouldn't be too difficult for the cops to get her and her accomplices. Further, not only are we to be scared of the cops doing us for assault if we conduct a citizen's arrest, but apparently other citizens will intimidate and assault us too, all before the cops arrive to help you out.
If that fare dodger was a man......
The way she ****ing saunters off at the end makes be very very ****ing angry
If that fare dodger was a man......Without a shadow of a doubt, nobody would have intervened.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by That Bearded Man

What?
Original post by rlw31
What?

Somehow I doubt you'd have the same sort of public outcry from the knights in shining armour if it was a man being citizen arrested don't you think?
Reply 33
Somehow I doubt you'd have the same sort of public outcry from the knights in shining armour if it was a man being citizen arrested don't you think?

No. Why is it that people sticking up for someone you don't like are 'knights in shining armour'?
Reply 34

Indeed, clearly when a man and women are grappling in the street it must be the guys fault.
Original post by rlw31
No. Why is it that people sticking up for someone you don't like are 'knights in shining armour'?

I'm referring to them standing up for a woman who was dodging a taxi fare, not women generally. I doubt they'd have done the same if it was a man.
Reply 36
taxi's are well overpriced, still.. I'd not get in one if I knew I couldnt afford it and had other choices, looks like it was daytime she coulda got a bus and walked (some places its not so easy to get busses late)
Original post by GPH92
No it's not, they're for public use, open to the public, anyone can use them.

Not any one. Taxi drivers are self employed people. Why on Earth do you have "private hire" cars?

Original post by LukeM90
taxi's are well overpriced, still.. I'd not get in one if I knew I couldnt afford it and had other choices, looks like it was daytime she coulda got a bus and walked (some places its not so easy to get busses late)

If you're together, they can sometimes work out cheaper?
my friend was assaulted by a taxi driver last week, he stole her phone and threw her out of the car when she threatened to phone the police he said he would just say she was trying to fare dodge

according to other report around the city he has done it multiple times, other taxi drivers are gearing up for mob justice because no one wants to use taxi's over the last few weeks, I can see it getting nasty if the police dont find him first which is hard because no one managed to get his license number

make sure you know the full story first, its easy to say someone didn't pay just to get yourself out of trouble but it might not be true (especially a young slightly drunk girl alone in an unbranded taxi)

luckly most taxi drivers are very respectable though
Reply 39
Original post by de_monies
Not any one. Taxi drivers are self employed people. Why on Earth do you have "private hire" cars?

If you're together, they can sometimes work out cheaper?

well yeah, like if I was out drinking with friends I couldnt drive home myself anyway so we'd split a taxi which probably works out about 5'er a head, so not bad to get home safe like xD

but I wouldnt get a taxi to town during the day, I dunno about mainland UK (always got busses when I lived there, and when I visit, frankly the bus service is alot better in england)

but If I get a taxi to belfast town centre from where I live (about 30 mins) the taxi man would charge me like 16 quid each way, where as a bus is like 4 lol or a train is like 7 pounds somthing return ticket

Not only that but most taxi firms charge more once it gets over midnight, some even 11pm but thats all really irrelivant to the main story xD

Latest

Trending

Trending