Turn on thread page Beta

Australian gang-raped in Dubai, then jailed for "sex outside of marriage" watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...side-marriage/

Absolutely disgraceful laws in these types of countries. Since when was it her fault? So is it legal for men in Dubai to rape their wives?

ReputationRep:
    I hope she sues them to high heaven.

That is simply terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty disgusting that women can be imprisoned for being a victim in some parts of the world. Lost whatever faith I had left in humanity.

ReputationRep:
    That's so unjust, can't believe countries can hold such backwards laws when its 2013.

I hope they lose a lot of tourism for this. Their laws are absaloutely ****e! And not only do you need four witnesses, but they need to be male...? There is no sense in that whatsoever. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Religion of peace :rolleyes:

I don't get the recent tourism boom of the middle east tbh. Not only is it a backward cesspit but its too hot. What was wrong with the traditional summer destinations like Spain/Italy/Portugal/South of France/Greece/Cyprus etc. where it is not only tolerably warm but also civilised.

ReputationRep:
    Also why is it when Westerns are in these countries we have to (and do) abide by the oppressive laws such as covering up in public and not drinking in public yet the Muslims in the West don't conform in the same way?

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting thing that happened and I feel so much empathy for her, the horrible thing is I'm not even surprised by these new stories coming out of Dubai any-more. It's a horrible place with archaic laws and an archaic society. You couldn't pay me to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Horrible stuff.

Governments and travel agencies should really do more to discourage people from going to these countries.

While such laws and acts of "justice" are disgraceful, if you go to a backwards, disgusting country like Dubai, you will be tried on the laws in that country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    It may be racist but its hearing stories like this that give some people a negative impression of Islam.
    There are good people but it's a shame that the bad stories get so much attention and put a bad image.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Releasethekraken)
    By being covered up? You speak as though the men have a right to run the country and can define what their women should be like. Total BS.
    As disgusting as it is the men (or at least the vast majority) in that country do in fact believe they have the right to control their women. It's practically a curse to be born a woman in a country like that, very few laws protect you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    There are good people but it's a shame that the bad stories get so much attention and put a bad image.
    Yep true I guess, it's obviously an awful thing to happen and her being jailed is very wrong, but yes there are good and bad people in every religion.

Sometimes the tabloids don't really help negative perceptions of Islam, when they over emphasise that the perpetrators of various crimes are Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to come to conclusions without knowing or verifying the details.

ReputationRep:
    As wrong as it is, its is Dubai. Its not the UK, its not the US and its not Aus. Its a different country with different customs, culture and laws. If you leave our countries, things change and the level of protection offered by law is one of them. The law didn't change in her case it was the same when she arrived and left.

As for her employer, I would imagine they are liable if an employee is assaulted on their property while at work in something that was preplanned and then they forced her into a situation where she couldn't leave I would think Starwood hotels is in for a legal case.

ReputationRep:
    Dubai is a stunning place. It's a shame they have outdated, archaic religious laws which, as in cases like this, lead to absolutely disgusting outcomes.

As lovely as the city is, I don't know if I'd ever want to visit. God forbid I "dress indecently" which of course "brings it upon me" to get raped and then end up imprisoned as a result. And why the hell is sex before marriage illegal?

ReputationRep:
    I have no words.

****ing disgusting world we live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    Hard to come to conclusions without knowing or verifying the details.
    I agree here. We are only hearing her side of the story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is awful.
    when I hear about stories like this, it completely puts me off visiting these countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewBoneration)
    She was a white woman dressed provocatively by their standards
    The way she was dressed doesn't excuse their beahaviour.

And why mention her skin colour?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.