The Student Room Group

Maths A-level...

I have applied to do maths A-level as I really enjoy algebra and maths as a subject. Over the years I have had quite a bad teacher who is too intelligent to explain anything, so I taught myself along with the work she gave me and went home to re-do the classes with online help and practice. Throughout year eleven I have, in the least boasting way, really excelled in maths and my teacher realised my potential and improvement over the two years, however when I took the initial November paper I got a B because I was panicking and had to leave both exams rather early to throw up due to panicking so much... You can guess my calculations were dodgy due to this as well. From then on I was getting 78-98/100 on practice papers as I worked really hard to learn everything on the syllabus (which I should have learnt over the years without question but whatever) and when I retook the exam in June it went really well, even though the papers were just as hard as what I was used to (Edexcel exam board btw). I'm stressing about taking A level maths because I stress about exams so much that even if I knew it all from the back of my hand my mind could still blank and fail me. Also, i'm an independent learner, will that be a disadvantage or will I be able to go through the course same as I did at GCSE?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Sounds like your problem is exams in general and not the maths. I think you will do well at maths alevel but maybe start yoga or something relaxing to help cope with exam stress?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks I will do that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Don't worry about being an "independent learner" we had to teach ourselves quite a bit the further maths course because our teacher was trying out some new way to manage learning. It was tough but we all managed good grades
I use to stress about exams A LOT during GCSE, but if you work really hard during the year doing A-Levels you kind of build a long-term inner calm knowing you've prepared well, get good scores and given it your best shot.

And when you go into the exam, you feel calmer knowing you've put the hard work in. So for you I would say do A-Level maths, your ability is there, but just be ready to work hard/ask lots of questions/go over the content/do all the homework....etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending