Can I use a short Birth Certificate to get a provisional licence? Watch

Cluck
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been filling in my provisional driving licence form today, and although my parents told me in the past that I have a few copies of my birth certificate, when I went to find them I could only find one, and a short copy. The gov website and all the information stuff doesn't mention whether a short birth certificate will do as well as a full one, so does anybody know if it's just as valid? I don't want to send the certificate itself off because I don't trust the post, but I'd be happy to send the short one if that would do.

(Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I figured I'd try )
Cluck
Rep:
?
Blatant bump. Can anyone help?
username1060389
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
I've been filling in my provisional driving licence form today, and although my parents told me in the past that I have a few copies of my birth certificate, when I went to find them I could only find one, and a short copy. The gov website and all the information stuff doesn't mention whether a short birth certificate will do as well as a full one, so does anybody know if it's just as valid? I don't want to send the certificate itself off because I don't trust the post, but I'd be happy to send the short one if that would do.

(Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I figured I'd try )

Do you have a valid passport as you can use your passport number to prove your identity?
Cluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophi12)
Do you have a valid passport as you can use your passport number to prove your identity?
They require you to send the passport itself but I can't do that because I have a series of holidays coming up
username1060389
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
They require you to send the passport itself but I can't do that because I have a series of holidays coming up
Are you sure they want it sent to them because i just used my passport number and didn't send my passport off?
Cluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophi12)
Are you sure they want it sent to them because i just used my passport number and didn't send my passport off?
I thought you had to send something as well as the passport number? Section A is passport number if you have it, section B is further proof, I thought I had to send my birth certificate as well as passport number?
Kre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
I thought you had to send something as well as the passport number? Section A is passport number if you have it, section B is further proof, I thought I had to send my birth certificate as well as passport number?
All I had to do a few years ago is just put down my passport number. No further proof of identity was needed. I don't think it's changed from then...
d4nny
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't recall sending anyone anything by post when I applied in December 2011
Cluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kre)
(Original post by d4nny)
Thanks for replying!
How about a photo? If I don't send one, where do they get it from?
Kre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
Thanks for replying!
You will need to send one. A small photo you get from those photo booths will be okay.
Henrikh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
Thanks for replying!
An electronic copy from your passport if i remember correctly
d4nny
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
Thanks for replying!
They can access the passport database and use your passport picture from there if you let them.
Cluck
Rep:
?
Sorted now, thanks everybody!
JosephSF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but i need some sort of ID however i was not born in England. I was born in Ireland and have an irish birth cert and passport. Will i still be able to apply for a UK Provisional? I am 16 and still don't have my NI and my birthday was in May
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cluck)
Sorted now, thanks everybody!
I applied for mine via post so used my birth certificate as my passport was lost.
Cluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by chikane)
I applied for mine via post so used my birth certificate as my passport was lost.
Did you send off a short one or a long one? (long one is A4)
Comanche13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The short birth certificate is as good as the long one. All babies are issued with a short one, you can choose whether to pay for a long one, it is optional.
Dana morley
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you use the smaller birth certificate because my passport isn't valid and I don't have a full one and I was born a fair way from where I live now to go and get one?
Lauraleigh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have a passport and I need to get my provisional will my birth certificate be okay for proof and a photo?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lauraleigh)
I don't have a passport and I need to get my provisional will my birth certificate be okay for proof and a photo?
https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads