Can I use a short Birth Certificate to get a provisional licence? Watch

XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need to send your passport in if it's biometric.

Straight from the Gov website:

You can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application if you’ve got a valid UK biometric passport (where the photograph and signature are on the same page).

You won’t need to send your biometric passport in with your application.

Otherwise you’ll need to send in an original identity document.

There are different rules in Northern Ireland.

Other types of identification
You can send the following identity documents if you don’t have a biometric passport:

a current and valid passport
a biometric residence permit (BRP) - formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals
a UK certificate of naturalisation
an European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) national identity card
a travel document
You must send the original document with your driving licence application.

You can’t use:

photocopies or laminated certificates
certified copies - including those certified by the Post Office document certification service
Don’t send in your passport if you need it within the next month - consider delaying your driving licence application until after you’ve travelled.

BIRTH CERTIFICATES

UK birth and adoption certificates

You can use a UK birth and adoption certificate, but you must send it with one of the following:

National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showing your National Insurance number
photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
P45, P60 or pay slip
marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
college or university union card, school record or PASS CitizenCard
Cindyoliver27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I'm trying to apply for a provisional and I'm trying to find some sort of ID as I don't have a passport or birth certificate does anyone know what other id I can use
Dean hall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got a birth certificate. What else woiuld I need as I.d if any.to get my provisional because I ent got no other I.d don't ask why long story. Or can I get other i.d photo etc.with my birth certificate? Could you please reply.. Thanks...
coldplasma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dean hall)
I've got a birth certificate. What else woiuld I need as I.d if any.to get my provisional because I ent got no other I.d don't ask why long story. Or can I get other i.d photo etc.with my birth certificate? Could you please reply.. Thanks...
Your answer is two posts up.
HannahMarie3095
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I dont have a valid passport as i cant afford the £85 bill that comes with it but they say i need to send my birth certificate would i be able to send a photo copy or will they send the original back?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HannahMarie3095)
I dont have a valid passport as i cant afford the £85 bill that comes with it but they say i need to send my birth certificate would i be able to send a photo copy or will they send the original back?
They send the original back. Birth certificates only cost like £10 anyway though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (148)
17.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.91%
No I am happy with my course choice (498)
59.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed