3D Cinema: Yes or No? Watch

Belloq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Bonjour, mes amis. For my first post on this illustrious forum, I'm going to ask a deeply philosophical question: What do you think of films in 3D? It's becoming more common for films to be shown in three dimensions, with many being shot specifically with it in mind. Do you think this is a good thing? I myself really dislike it, I think it's gimmicky. At best I'll forget I'm even watching a 3D film and it'll be innocuous, at worst it will intrude on the experience and completely bring me out of the film. So my friends, 3D cinema: oui or non?
Prandtl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Non for me. Only seen five or so 3D films, wasn't impressed by any of them in that respect and have given up on them since.
212griffithss
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really a fan; 3D hurts my eyes after a while and doesn't really enhance my cinema experience in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the film in the cinema. Me for instance would love to watch an action movie in 3D. Then I guess it has an awesome dramatic effect.
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never actually seen a 3D film; I could never really justify the extra cost and I wasn't particularly bothered about it. However, I'm going to see Jurassic Park 3D when it comes out here. I don't care if the 3D is gimmicky or poorly-done, nothing can ruin that film for me and it seems like 3D could work well for JP.
IndiaCaitlinn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never really been bothered by 3D and I never wanted to pay the extra money for it.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is actually a film which I want to watch in 3D: World War Z. The scenes must be breathtaking when I watch the film in the third dimension.
MelUnicorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All the 3D films I have seen haven't been very good, I saw the last Harry Potter and it made no difference the same with the hobbit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Belloq
Rep:
?
(Original post by 212griffithss)
Not really a fan; 3D hurts my eyes after a while and doesn't really enhance my cinema experience in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's another point, it's apparently uncomfortable for some people to watch. I haven't experienced it, but I now people who say it makes them feel sick.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IndiaCaitlinn)
I've never really been bothered by 3D and I never wanted to pay the extra money for it.
I understand you. I would not pay an extra money for 3D glasses, if I'm not convince that the film wouldn't be good in 3D.
JustaDreamer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They give me a headache afterwards; and none of the 3D films I've watched haven't really improved the scenes for me.
dlaiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the vast majority of films, 3D is just a gimmick. Many studios believe it'll get them the instant success of Avatar, which of course it won't.

And I always feel painfully stupid sat there with glasses on top of my glasses. >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thetino
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ever since I saw avatar I was hooked, sadly not many films look as good on a 3D tv as in the cinema.

I must have about 30+ 3D blu rays but only a hand full are able to pull it off.

And it's even rarer to have a great movie and great 3D together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3D films are really good, (recently saw Man of Steel in 3D), but 2D films are fine, been seeing them all my life and the difference between them isn't massive.
Theflyingbarney
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't really gain much for the extra cost of the ticket - 2D films are just as good, in my opinion.

What annoys me more is the way films now seem to be specifically written for 3D in their screenplay, i.e. including particularly awesome shots at the expense of plot points (the last Harry Potter film was a major culprit of this). Exciting shots are all very well and good but if it makes the story **** as a result then the film will come off worse in my opinion.
JordanS94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have seen 3 or 4 films in 3D. The ones that pull it off better are animated films imo it brings more depth into the visuals but in live action films it doesn't really enhance the experience for me. That being said I still wont see another 3D film by choice I don't think it's worth the extra money.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I have been to see many films in 3D, including Pixar classics and Avatar, and I also have a 3D TV (much more sophisticated tech than the dark cinema glasses) with access to movie channels. I never use it, and I never see a 3D version of a film when 2D is on offer. Its benefits are marginal enough to be negligible, and its downsides are much greater. The film is darker, and your attention is drawn away from craft and towards gimmicks. 3D is, like Man's attempt to replace itself with computers in 2001: A Space Odyssey, just an abortive and imperfect attempt at redefinition, a wrong turn on the road to something greater. We'll soon have immersive reality art media in my opinion, and even if you can't be bothered to wait for that, the production of ultra-high resolution and ultra-large TVs in the Far East is negating the need for the picture to jump out at you anyway. And finally, to quote Danny Boyle: "I'm a spectacle wearer, so I hate going to 3D movies because you have to wear two pairs of spectacles, which makes you feel like even more of a prat."
blubimnotafish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't like it. Especially when the only option is to watch it in 3D and you are forced to pay extra or not see the movie. Plus, the glasses/goggles are really annoyingly big.
I only think it actually works with animated films, like in Megamind when the babies get thrown "into the audience", but otherwise it's a big no-go.
Amenbreak321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
NOOOOO! The glasses hurt your eyes and distract you from the movie. The effect is not even pleasurable to me it just looks weird. Pointless, I hate 3D.
Belloq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plainview)
No. I have been to see many films in 3D, including Pixar classics and Avatar, and I also have a 3D TV (much more sophisticated tech than the dark cinema glasses) with access to movie channels. I never use it, and I never see a 3D version of a film when 2D is on offer. Its benefits are marginal enough to be negligible, and its downsides are much greater. The film is darker, and your attention is drawn away from craft and towards gimmicks. 3D is, like Man's attempt to replace itself with computers in 2001: A Space Odyssey, just an abortive and imperfect attempt at redefinition, a wrong turn on the road to something greater. We'll soon have immersive reality art media in my opinion, and even if you can't be bothered to wait for that, the production of ultra-high resolution and ultra-large TVs in the Far East is negating the need for the picture to jump out at you anyway. And finally, to quote Danny Boyle: "I'm a spectacle wearer, so I hate going to 3D movies because you have to wear two pairs of spectacles, which makes you feel like even more of a prat."
Very well said. I especially agree with the point that the 3D experience draws attention away from the craft. I've only seen three or four films in 3D because I was kind of forced to by friends, but I did notice certain elements like lighting and even performance being detracted from. For what 3D offers, it's not worth it at all. And I do feel like a silly ******* sitting with two pairs of specs on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads