This discussion is closed.
atkelly
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I want to study economics at Cam. Im really committed to AS level but didnt do too well at GCSE. Dont wory about saying i have no chance, be honest please.

GCSE -

Business A*
Maths A
Science BB
Enflish BB
History A
DT A
ICT GNVQ Int - Merit
German - C

AS - (Sat in Jan 04)

Economics - A
Business - A
Maths - A
Physics - Predicted B
Critical Thinking - predicted A

Thanks....
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by atkelly)
Hi,

I want to study economics at Cam. Im really committed to AS level but didnt do too well at GCSE. Dont wory about saying i have no chance, be honest please.

GCSE -

Business A*
Maths A
Science BB
Enflish BB
History A
DT A
ICT GNVQ Int - Merit
German - C

AS - (Sat in Jan 04)

Economics - A
Business - A
Maths - A
Physics - Predicted B
Critical Thinking - predicted A

Thanks....
Ppl are getting fed up of posting these - read the other similar posts. Personally, I won't b too hopeful with GCSE grades tho.
Karen Shah
Report 16 years ago
Your GCSE grades do not matter as much as you may think

Oxford is considered to be a fantastic institution to study in and if you really want to get in you have to show determination and above all the potential to succeed. Your GCSE grades are fine but that is not just what the university is looking out for. Yes there has to be a good educational background but your development in a subject that you further want to study at Oxbridge is far more important. You have to move forward because that is what learning is all about. Not the past. Besides just remember your grades do not reflect you as a person. In fact, I believe that it is justa mark that you get on a piece of paper. Oxford is lookiing for more, hence the interview process.

For now, I think you ought to focus on your AS Levels. Remember, one step at a time and keep moving forward. Don't worry
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's at least at least two other people on here wanting to read Economics at Cambridge in 2005 (which is what I personally want to do). Hmm. I think all of the prospective Economics people on UKL have more or less straight A/A*s at GCSE and a host of extra-curricular activities, as well as the passion for Economics and social sciences in general (compulsory, really).

ASs...I don't think anyone wanting to read Economics at Cambridge would be predicted less than three or four As. However, this is simply a generalisation. Potential is the most important factor. If you have plenty of that, I doubt it matters if you had all Cs at GCSE.

Good Luck! Maybe I'll see you at interview or summat
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you mean that you have passed all 3 modules for each of your AS subjects in January? Or do you mean that you did 1 module from each and got those grades... it is fairly unlikely that someone in Year 12 would be able to do 4 full AS levels so soon....
On the other hand it does sound as though your ASs are going well, and that's important. The critical thinking will be helpful for the Cam tests, though not necessarily for any Econ test they will might give you (depends on the college I think). You will be up against some very, very stiff competition for Economics and you will really need to do Maths ( and pref Further Maths for some colleges)and get a super module result. Cam now ask you to write your module marks on your entrance form... that (and possibly GCSE grades) might be the deciding factor.
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Karen Shah)
Your GCSE grades do not matter as much as you may think

Oxford is considered to be a fantastic institution to study in and if you really want to get in you have to show determination and above all the potential to succeed. Your GCSE grades are fine but that is not just what the university is looking out for. Yes there has to be a good educational background but your development in a subject that you further want to study at Oxbridge is far more important. You have to move forward because that is what learning is all about. Not the past. Besides just remember your grades do not reflect you as a person. In fact, I believe that it is justa mark that you get on a piece of paper. Oxford is lookiing for more, hence the interview process.

For now, I think you ought to focus on your AS Levels. Remember, one step at a time and keep moving forward. Don't worry
That's right in many respects but you may be underplaying the advantage of a strong set of GCSEs.

There is a dangerous myth developing that GCSE results don't matter and that almost all hinges on the interview. This is a fallacy and will become even more so as colleges try to make sure they are selecting those best suited for the course. Most people at Oxford and Cambridge have very good sets of GCSEs but there are a small number with relatively low results. The latter are mainly people who underperformed at GCSE but have now been able to show that they those exams do not represent fully their ability. If GCSE results are not particularly good then people need to be performing strongly at AS/A2, show high engagement with their subject, perform well in interview, submit strong work/perform well in any entrance tests. The better tutors, at least in the stronger colleges, use all the available evidence. Most do not treat the interview as one shot audition.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The only thing they may not be overly chuffed about is doin both economics and business studies - often seen as a cop out unfortunately
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (162)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (170)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (100)
9.62%
Isolating with family (71)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.65%
Loneliness (103)
9.9%
Financial worries (46)
4.42%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.65%

Watched Threads