Turn on thread page Beta

How to get out of going to a wedding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A friend has become very religious very quickly and is now getting married soon to a man she's only known for about 4 months. I am invited to the wedding

I don't particularly like her as a person anymore since she converted, shes changed in a number of ways and if I had met her as the person she is now, we would not be friends.

Despite also being seriously strapped for cash I don't agree with the way the marriage has been arranged and rushed into, I'd feel very uncomfortable attending as I have never met the groom before either and for all I know he's a totally b******.

How can I decline the invitation tactfully?

Boycotting a friends wedding = friendship over, basically.

I dealt with my wedding phobia by not turning up and consequently I do not speak to the person in question anymore.

If you want to keep the peace, go and grin and bear it.

ReputationRep:
    Say you're on holiday then avoid them for a week and have a good story to tell when you 'get back'.

ReputationRep:
    fake an illness

ReputationRep:
    Ham22 basically hit the nail on the donkey's arse. If you don't go then you're no longer friends.

You've said you don't like her anymore though... so I don't see what the issue is.

If it's about being polite, then just send a message back saying "Sorry, I will not be attending." You needn't give a reason at all if you don't wish to - though it's always polite to RSVP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2013
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.