The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Exeter for investment banking

Hello everyone,

As the title says I would like to know if it makes any difference to which of these universities to go in order to get a job in investment banking, so some help will be appreciated.
Probably I am going to study BSc Economics at birmingham or BA Economics in Exeter.
Thank you
Reply 1
Neither is good for FO recruitment, but think Exeter is slightly higher ranked so would go for that.
Reply 2
Original post by MAINE.
Neither is good for FO recruitment, but think Exeter is slightly higher ranked so would go for that.

This. If you want to get into top level IB then it's only worth going to LSE, Oxbridge etc. Sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by peter12345
This. If you want to get into top level IB then it's only worth going to LSE, Oxbridge etc. Sorry.

GTFO this forum pls, kthnxbai
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
GTFO this forum pls, kthnxbai

Original post by Frankster
Funny guy.

Instead of being a demoralising troll, let me make it clear to you that LSE, Oxbridge etc etc isn't for everyone.

OP, I don't know much about this; but I'm guessing since Exeter is higher ranked than B'ham generally, you should go to Exeter. There will potentially be greater job prospects there.

But I'm just passing on what I've heard. That top IB firms only target LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Durham. Don't shoot the messenger.
Reply 5
Original post by peter12345
But I'm just passing on what I've heard. That top IB firms only target LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Durham. Don't shoot the messenger.

Sorry, but this is not true. I have several classmates from Exeter who have gotten great jobs from top IB firms. They all come to recruit at Exeter( as well I am sure at a number of other top Universities)
Original post by Film
Sorry, but this is not true. I have several classmates from Exeter who have gotten great jobs from top IB firms. They all come to recruit at Exeter( as well I am sure at a number of other top Universities)

u mad?
Reply 7
Why the hate on the LSE guy? IB firms do look for top 5 uni graduates very specifically, since the field is so oversubscribed and competed over, so it's natural that they look where they imagine the brightest minds are. That being said, if you can make yourself stand out a lot with some great work experience and internships, then Exeter and Birmingham are good. Another word of advice; most finance institutions like people with quantitative skills, so I would say a BSc is more preferable to a BA
Reply 8
Original post by Film

When i say target I don't mean they never take anyone from outside those universities, I mean that those universities are highly preferred. As I said I'm just passing on what I've heard. I'm not into university ranking ego boosting.
Reply 9
Original post by PT2021
Hello everyone,

As the title says I would like to know if it makes any difference to which of these universities to go in order to get a job in investment banking, so some help will be appreciated.
Probably I am going to study BSc Economics at birmingham or BA Economics in Exeter.
Thank you

I believe that Exeter has an outstanding careers service who would be very helpful :smile: though it may be very hard to secure an FO job.
Reply 10
Thank you very much for all your help guys.
birmingham is far better for ib than exeter
Reply 12
I can't speak for Birmingham but I know that Exeter gives you a fair chance in front office of many IBs; I know quite a few people from various subjects (whilst having no luck myself) who've been successful.
Reply 13
Original post by PT2021
Hello everyone,

Thank you

Schoolmate of mine got into BBVA investment banking division (not sure if there classed as bulge bracket or not out of the European banks) as an analyst after graduating from Exeter that was in accounting and finance though (not sure if it makes a difference) and working at corporate finance boutique in Birmingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending