Turn on thread page Beta

Have Had My First Few Times Behind A Wheel And It Went Horrible watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys well this week I have started getting some lessons from a relative of mine just going though the basics clutch gears etc. And although very slowly I am getting the hand of these alarmingly I have ZERO feel on the accelerator which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen

I'm putting way to much power on it even though I feel like i'm barely touching it yet when I attempt to ease off I am putting little to zero power on it I don't seem to even it our or control it which is annoying me greatly as honestly this should be utterly a simple task to perform

Anyways with that off my chest I would like a couple of questions answered please

I can already tell i'm going to struggle real bad and with this in mind would I be better to do an intensive driving course?? and if anyone could share there experience is such a course please share

ReputationRep:
    Listen well: you will get used to it!

It's all still brand new to you. The solution is just practice, there's nothing more that you can do. But you will get it, so don't write yourself off as a hopeless case!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply but it's more my control of the accelerator pedal which is getting me down. This should just be automatic yet I have no control of how much power I am putting on the pedal

ReputationRep:
    Intensive courses tend to put quite a lot of pressure and stress on the learner, especially if you have only been behind the wheel a few times. I used to have 2 lessons a week 2 hours each time. Cuts out the pressure and stress of the intensive course but allowed me to learn faster than the usual 1 hour a week malarkey .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake2.0)
    Thanks for the reply but it's more my control of the accelerator pedal which is getting me down. This should just be automatic yet I have no control of how much power I am putting on the pedal
    "This should just be automatic" Why? How can you know how to use the accelerator in a car without practice? Don't be so hard on yourself.

Big tip though, wear light shoes. Big heavy boots obscure your feel of the pedals. Once you're used to it you'll be able to wear any shoes, but to start with you need to get the feel of the car.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JLarcombe)
    Intensive courses tend to put quite a lot of pressure and stress on the learner, especially if you have only been behind the wheel a few times. I used to have 2 lessons a week 2 hours each time. Cuts out the pressure and stress of the intensive course but allowed me to learn faster than the usual 1 hour a week malarkey .
    I think it depends on the person to be honest. I personally had never driven a car before starting lessons and I did a semi-intensive. I increased the time and days per week though, so I started off on 2 hour lessons 3 days a week and on the last week ended up doing 3 hour lessons 4 days a week. I'm glad I did it that way since it kept the ball rolling and I progressed pretty quickly. Had my first test a month after starting, I was definitely ready for it but I failed the first 2 as can happen to anyone, both failed due to 1 serious fault with less than 5 minors both times. Then passed 3rd time with just 1 minor
    As I said though it all depends, probably on your attention span and how quickly you get bored. 3 hour lessons were perfect for me but I think any more than that and I would have started to switch off.

OP, whatever way you decide to go, I wouldn't be worried. I think a lot of people start off without a good feel of the pedals to some degree or another. You'll pick it up though, once you've done a fair amount of driving you'll develop the muscle memory and you'll be well on your way

ReputationRep:
    I think a semi intensive course may be good for me as I prefer to do thing it batches rather then having time in-between has anyone got any price/information on these courses

I just assumed the accelerator would just be a basic thing to get to grips with. You push harder when you want more power and ease off when you want less but I just can't get it balanced feel like im barely touching it yet its revving crazy

ReputationRep:
    I think a semi intensive course may be good for me as I prefer to do thing it batches rather then having time in-between has anyone got any price/information on these courses

I just assumed the accelerator would just be a basic thing to get to grips with. You push harder when you want more power and ease off when you want less but I just can't get it balanced feel like im barely touching it yet its revving crazy
    Like the poster above suggested make sure you're wearing thin soled shoes. You'll be amazed at how much difference that can make. It takes everyone a while to get to grips with these sort of things in driving so don't put yourself down so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kawa)
    Like the poster above suggested make sure you're wearing thin soled shoes. You'll be amazed at how much difference that can make. It takes everyone a while to get to grips with these sort of things in driving so don't put yourself down so much.
    Good point. I made the mistake of wearing my running shoes for one of my lessons, felt squishy and disconnected. Now I use converse and it feels great

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys thought I would give a little update

Well I had another couple hours tonight and my control of the accelerator is MUCH better when actually driving. However when I am having to go from a standing start using the clutch and accelerator I am really struggling to control the revs I am putting on any advice to help this???

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys thought I would give a little update

Well I had another couple hours tonight and my control of the accelerator is MUCH better when actually driving. However when I am having to go from a standing start using the clutch and accelerator I am really struggling to control the revs I am putting on any advice to help this???

Cheers
    Again, it's practice. Now you're getting a feel on the pedal itself, you will start to develop muscle memory to learn how much pressure you need to get to a certain level of revs (and by extension, you'll be able to adjust it for terrain and incline without thinking about it too much).

Every experienced driver who gets into a new car they've not driven before still takes a while to get used to the pedals and controlling the revs. Take it from my SO who has had his full license for 11 years!

ReputationRep:
    It all comes with practice, the more experience you get the better you'll be.
    I always found when going from a standing start having few revs on the accelerator, then once the clutch is above the bite and you begin to move off you can gauge whether you need more/less.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys well this week I have started getting some lessons from a relative of mine just going though the basics clutch gears etc. And although very slowly I am getting the hand of these alarmingly I have ZERO feel on the accelerator which is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen

I'm putting way to much power on it even though I feel like i'm barely touching it yet when I attempt to ease off I am putting little to zero power on it I don't seem to even it our or control it which is annoying me greatly as honestly this should be utterly a simple task to perform

Anyways with that off my chest I would like a couple of questions answered please

I can already tell i'm going to struggle real bad and with this in mind would I be better to do an intensive driving course?? and if anyone could share there experience is such a course please share
    Hi

I used to have this problem.

I found that looking at the revs helped enourmously ! Especially if you're doing something like a hill start where you need to be putting on enough revs to get you moving forwards, without putting too much on, so you zoom off ! In such cases I find 1500 roughly the right amount, and then if you're on a hill you will need to increase this slightly as you ease off the clutch, but not so much if you're on a flat road. If you are on a flat road, this will be enough to get you going, then change up to 2nd else you'll start jerking around and increase the speed/revs.

It might also be your shoes. I wore flat sandals one lesson and it felt just like this, but i'm fine with my converse style shoes :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alex193)
    Good point. I made the mistake of wearing my running shoes for one of my lessons, felt squishy and disconnected. Now I use converse and it feels great
    I wore trainers today and had no idea how to drive!

ReputationRep:

I am massively against intensive driving courses, especially for people with no driving experience. The fact that you can go from zero to full liscence in a week frankly horrifies me.

OP you learn to drive by driving, dont worry about the accelerator - that will come in time and as you move forward in your lessons it will come easier. You just need to practice and it will come

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.