The Student Room Group
Reply 1
analine87
Hi...
I'll be doing Chemistry at University of Edinburgh and I was wondering do I need to buy lab equipments such as lab coat, safety goggles etc or are they provided?

Generally you have to buy them. But I think mine came to a total of 20 pounds, so it wasn't too bad. And its a one off purchase too, will last you through uni (unless you plan on burning them or something!)
I bought all of mine from the department in the first week.
Reply 3
analine87
Hi...
I'll be doing Chemistry at University of Edinburgh and I was wondering do I need to buy lab equipments such as lab coat, safety goggles etc or are they provided?

I would say I'd see you there but hopefully I wont (no offence on Edinburgh, just its not my firm :biggrin: )
Does it have to be safety goggles (they massive rubber/plastic things), or can it be safety glasses? Thanks.
Reply 5
The SU shop will probably sell lab coats and such like cheap. I love my lab coat! *puts it on*
Reply 6
wikiwikiwildwildwest
Does it have to be safety goggles (they massive rubber/plastic things), or can it be safety glasses? Thanks.

it just has to be protective eyeware which conforms to a particular british standard, it's more often saftey glasses, nobody wears big goggles
Reply 7
cobra
it just has to be protective eyeware which conforms to a particular british standard, it's more often saftey glasses, nobody wears big goggles

I just wear a crash helmet in the lab.

We Had to buy a lab coat, (which was sold in the SU shop.....altho I didnt buy from there) and they gave us our safety specks. You dont really need thoes mega face-sucking goggles unless you are planning to trow acid about!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Some unis will provide these for you (I know Liv do). If you don't have it the the SU shop...
Reply 10
Durham student union doesn't sell them but the chemistry department do
I can't remember what Edin told me when I went to see them a year or so ago...I did ask, because Leeds Uni gave us a lab coat, safety specs, a spatula (!) and all the 1st year text-books for free! Sorted! :smile:
At Nottingham the students have to provide their own lab coats, specs seem to be provided - this was the same in St Andrews.

God, I haven't worn a lab coat in anger for ages!
Reply 13
ChemistBoy
At Nottingham the students have to provide their own lab coats, specs seem to be provided - this was the same in St Andrews.

God, I haven't worn a lab coat in anger for ages!

I assume that means you are not getting your hands dirty in the lab then? Because people would be screaming blue murder if I so much as stepped into a lab without a lab-coat lol.
nikk
I assume that means you are not getting your hands dirty in the lab then? Because people would be screaming blue murder if I so much as stepped into a lab without a lab-coat lol.

I'm a physical chemist - I don't do lab coats. Spanners and multimeters are more my bag.
Reply 15
ChemistBoy

So where did you get your lab coat from?

Latest

Trending

Trending