Increasing running speed Watch

Delph123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, need some advice from runners out there! I'm closer to 40 than I care to admit, relatively athletic type build, an ex smoker (as of 28 days 7 hours and about 38 minutes, not that I'm counting) and reasonably physically fit in that I exercise 2 hours a day 5 days a week.
I am however incredibly slow when it comes to running and I have to do it as part of a big martial arts grading I have coming up in October. I dislike running, find it boring, it makes my feet and shins hurt even though I've got decent shoes that fit my foot type- in short i simply don't enjoy it but the time has come for me to speed up so I can get through the fitness element of this grading and not fail in the first 20 minutes.
Basically i have to run 2 miles in 15 minutes. I know this is not a fast pace but a snail could beat me at my current speed and that's on a good day. The quickest I have ever done it is 19 minutes and I felt like I was sprinting!
It's not that I run out of breath or my legs get too tired- I just can't seem to run very fast.
I've looked online for beginner running programmes but they all seem to be the type of thing that focus on building stamina rather than speed. Stamina does not appear to be my problem as, at the pace I go at, I have no problem plodding along and it's boredom rather than lack of breath that would make me stop. Can anyone advise of any type of training I could do to simply get faster. Thank you very much in advance

Ps just got back from a quick midnight run- joys of working full time and studying part time and tried really pushing myself speed wise- 1.54 miles in 17.5 minutes. I despair

Posted from TSR Mobile
manu01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think its important to hone both stamina and speed. For stamina, your doing the right thing, which is practicing. Try longer distances such as 3/4 miles, so you will become more comfortable in the 2 mile run.

To build up speed, you need to increase the muscle mass in your legs - the 3 big muscle groups you need to target are your quadriceps, calves and hamstring. I suggest you do lunges, squats, jump squats, etc. If you have access to a gym then do leg presses, leg curls, leg extensions, squats with weights, dead lifts, calf raises.

Although I said to focus on your leg muscles, don't forget the rest of your body. Some power is generated in the upper body, especially when pumping the arms. Lastly, stretch before every workout and drink plenty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads