This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
B584 - Order of the British Empire (Amendment) Bill 2013, TSR Labour Party

Order of the British Empire (Amendment) Act

An Act to reform the Order of the British Empire.

Preamble
Reforming the Order of the British Empire into a modernised form and removing military references, bringing it in line with the equivalent orders of chivalry in other commonwealth countries.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

ORDER OF CHIVALRY

1. Changes
(1) "The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire" shall be renamed to: "The Most Excellent Order of Britain".
(2) The class "Commander" shall be renamed to: "Companion".
(3) The class "Knight Commander" shall be renamed to: "Knight Companion".
(4) The class "Dame Commander" shall be renamed to: "Dame Companion".

SHORT TITLE, COMMENCEMENT AND EXTENT

2. Short title
(1) This act may be cited as the Order of the British Empire (Amendment) Act 2013.

3. Commencement and extent
(1) The regulations outlined in this Act shall only apply to vehicles built and sold after the commencement of this Act.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the first day of December 2013.
(3) This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NotesThis bill seeks to change name of titles in the UK, believing that mentions of the Empire are too imperial for a modern day Britain. These changes were recommended in a HoC select committee, as you'll see below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_o...pire#Criticism

Other commonwealth countries, such as Australia and Canada already use "Companion" instead of "Commander", in order to make the awards seem rather less militaristic.
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Certainly not.

The Empire is something Britain can be proud of, trying to sweep 150 odd years of tradition under the carpet is something that must be avoided.
Thunder and Jazz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel like you're missing a large number of titles.
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. Holding on to the mad slaughter house of an empire we were is out of date in modern times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye.

Section 3 part 1 made me laugh.
Qwertish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Just no.
PierceBrosnan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Abstain. Although Knight Commander actually sounds quite cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think 'Commander' is the right word.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
Certainly not.

The Empire is something Britain can be proud of, trying to sweep 150 odd years of tradition under the carpet is something that must be avoided.
"The British Empire" no longer exists and renaming it to "The Most Excellent Order of The Commonwealth" wouldn't make much sense either as constituent commonwealth countries have their own orders of chivalry.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
I feel like you're missing a large number of titles.
We're not proposing to change all of them.

(Original post by JPKC)
Aye.

Section 3 part 1 made me laugh.
Lul, copy and paste fail. It'll be fixed for the next reading.
tufc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Personally I'm not ashamed of the fact we once ruled half the planet, but whether you're a fan of the Empire or not, this bill just sweeps it under the carpet. Typical left-wing revisionism.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
No. Personally I'm not ashamed of the fact we once ruled half the planet, but whether you're a fan of the Empire or not, this bill just sweeps it under the carpet. Typical left-wing revisionism.
But "The British Empire" no longer exists, so what sense does it make to keep the name the same when it's still being awarded to people?
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unnecessary. No from me.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
Unnecessary. No from me.
Yup, Liberals are practically the tories now-a-days.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StatusRed)
Yup, Liberals are practically the tories now-a-days.
I'm not entirely sure how opposing largely pointless legislation means we're 'Tories'? Most people are aware the British Empire doesn't exist, so we don't need to waste time rebranding OBEs etc. simply to prove a point.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
I'm not entirely sure how opposing largely pointless legislation means we're 'Tories'? Most people are aware the British Empire doesn't exist, so we don't need to waste time rebranding OBEs etc. simply to prove a point.
So, you're taking a conservative view point. And you (and your party) keeps taking conservative stances on a hell of a lot of issues and agreeing with the tories. It's a shame to see that you've drifted so far away from the centre-left.
tufc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But "The British Empire" no longer exists, so what sense does it make to keep the name the same when it's still being awarded to people?
Because these honours are rooted in history; modernising them would destroy the huge significance and tradition attached to them.
Morgsie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Labour have not got a clue about the Constitution and now the Honours System
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
Because these honours are rooted in history; modernising them would destroy the huge significance and tradition attached to them.
The tradition would stay the same, people can still be knighted and given, MBEs, OBEs, CBEs etc.. And there's no indication of any public outrage or "destruction of tradition" when Canada and Australia adopted their own orders of chivalry.

(Original post by Morgsie)
Labour have not got a clue about the Constitution and now the Honours System
And nor either does a real parliamentary committee according to you.
Qwertish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The tradition would stay the same, people can still be knighted and given, MBEs, OBEs, CBEs etc.. And there's no indication of any public outrage or "destruction of tradition" when Canada and Australia adopted their own orders of chivalry.
Afaik, they didn't rename any. They just established new ones, which is fine. If you can find a reason why we need another Order of Chivalry, by all means propose an "Order of British Excellence", but don't try to rename this one.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qwertish)
Afaik, they didn't rename any. They just established new ones, which is fine. If you can find a reason why we need another Order of Chivalry, by all means propose an "Order of British Excellence", but don't try to rename this one.
Why does that mean we can't rename this one? Renaming from "Commander" to "Companion" gets rid of the militaristic ring that some of the classes currently have, that's why Canada and Australia did it. No tradition is being destroyed here.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads