Turn on thread page Beta

Psychological anxiety from 'Creepypasta'? watch

Hey, this question's going to sound silly, but has anyone suffered some sort of psychological anxiety and distress from reading a 'Creepypasta'? (For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a selection of scary stories on the internet).

I was browsing the Pokémon ones and then I came across a forum of the 'best' stories so I clicked it to see which was voted scariest, and number one was something called 'Squidward's Suicide'. As I don't watch SpongeBob Squarepants I wasn't familiar with the character, but I read the story anyway and I can honestly say it has disturbed and terrified me to the core. A video accompanied the story, as do several fan-made vids of the story on YouTube, but I refused to watch it because the picture preview of the video (a picture of Squidward looking depressed with blood coming from his eyes) has really, really, really scared me

It sounds so stupid and ridiculous but I can't seem to get over it. I've been feeling anxious and jumpy ever since looking at it, and I fear I can't get the picture out my mind. I know it's so ridiculous and it's just a cartoon character which has been photoshopped, but I found the story extremely terrifying and the premise very real.
    Another thing which is bothering me is that I really can't seem to stop looking at Creepypastas and reading comments related to the whole thing. I'm terrified yet intrigued at the same time. I always keep my eyes shut when scrolling in case the picture pops up again though, and I get palpitations and lightheaded if I actually catch a glimpse of it again!
    Anyone got some advice with this, and has anyone else been similarly disturbed by Creepypasta material?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2013
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.