Having trouble sleeping in this heat... Watch

Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Guys;

Well, this is like the third or fourth day I have had now where I have only gotton like 4 hours of sleep because I keep waking up in the middle of the night due to this recent heat wave.

Can anyone help me here please? :confused:
trouble foreseen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It'll be over in a few days. I've been awake since 01:26.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Open the window, get a fan, use thin covers, keep some water by your side.
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
I haven't been to sleep at all. I think the temperature of my room increased after the sun went down last night. I don't know how the **** that happened, but it did. I suggest prayer at this point.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Hey Guys;

Well, this is like the third or fourth day I have had now where I have only gotton like 4 hours of sleep because I keep waking up in the middle of the night due to this recent heat wave.

Keep your windows shut during the day, and the blinds closed. Don't open your windows until at least 10pm (if at all, I don't) because it simply lets hot air in.

Before bed I go to the bathroom and run cold water completely over my forearms, and wet the back of my neck, face and chest. Then dry off the excess and go to sleep on top of my covers, with the door open.

It'll be harder in the city though, if you wake up in the night go and do the water thing again, try not to turn on the lights

edit: Oh, and if you're using a computer in your room before bed then it'll hike up the temperatures considerably, same if you have the lights on for more than 45 minutes in your bedroom because that's when the filaments will start to emit radiant heat (having heated up the lightbulb already)
trouble foreseen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
I haven't been to sleep at all. I think the temperature of my room increased after the sun went down last night. I don't know how the **** that happened, but it did. I suggest prayer at this point.
Summer holidays?
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Keep your windows shut during the day, and the blinds closed. Don't open your windows until at least 10pm (if at all, I don't) because it simply lets hot air in.

Before bed I go to the bathroom and run cold water completely over my forearms, and wet the back of my neck, face and chest. Then dry off the excess and go to sleep on top of my covers, with the door open.

It'll be harder in the city though, if you wake up in the night go and do the water thing again, try not to turn on the lights

edit: Oh, and if you're using a computer in your room before bed then it'll hike up the temperatures considerably, same if you have the lights on for more than 45 minutes in your bedroom because that's when the filaments will start to emit radiant heat (having heated up the lightbulb already)
But if you have double glazing, doesn't keeping the windows closed conserve heat?!
Bethany221
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just out if curiosity(and no offence), does anyone mind to tell me if air-con is not common here? I did notice ppl here prefer turning on the fan to air-con,so is that it's not common here or just on environmentally friendly grounds?:confused:

FYI,from hk n most of the ppl here choose turning on air-con at night to deal with the unbearable heat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bethany221)
Just out if curiosity(and no offence), does anyone mind to tell me if air-con is not common here? I did notice ppl here prefer turning on the fan to air-con,so is that it's not common here or just on environmentally friendly grounds?:confused:

FYI,from hk n most of the ppl here choose turning on air-con at night to deal with the unbearable heat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not many people have air con in the UK given the temperature rarely rises above 15 degrees. :rolleyes:
trouble foreseen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lel
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I sleep in just my boxers, with all my windows open and no duvet.
Pipsico
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Guys;

I take a 'cold water bottle' with me to bed which is actually a bag of frozen veg wrapped in a tea towel.

I also soak a small towel with cold water, wring it dry and then use it as a duvet! Make sure the towel just about covers the body, otherwise it will make your bed damp.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
HCubed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get a cotton sheet, dip it in cool water and then give it a quick spin in the washing machine to make it damp but not dripping wet. Then go to bed with the sheet on top of you. You will stay cool as the sheet gradually dries.
Beckyweck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a studio flat and basically one whole wall (the one that faces the sun -.-") is glass so I get a conservatory kind of effect. It's terrible! A fan didn't really make a difference because it just blew hot air at me so I've been using those freezer packs (the kind you have for bumped heads) and putting them on my tummy with my arms folded across it. Every so often moving it around. It does make a difference because I feel cooler all over until it thaws and then I really notice it getting hotter again! I've also frozen a few hot water bottles. They stay colder longer than the ice packs!

Don't forget to wrap it in a tea towel when you first get it out though because it hurts if you don't.

(Original post by Pipsico)
I take a 'cold water bottle' with me to bed which is actually a bag of frozen veg wrapped in a tea
Freeze an actual hot water bottle! Lasts longer than frozen veg, makes less mess as it thaws and you don't end up with a solid mass of veg when you refreeze!
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But if you have double glazing, doesn't keeping the windows closed conserve heat?!
No, because double glazing merely restricts the passing of heat, so it works both ways. Same as a thermos flask will keep cold drinks cold as well, it's a good way of keeping your room cooler when outside is hotter than comfort levels.

It won't be effective if you don't pull your curtains/blinds though, as they block radiant heat from the sunlight and trap it on a flat layer with relatively little surface area, compared to if the sunlight was coming right into your room and warming up the carpet, bed, chairs etc.
SprainedAnkle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to try the cool-your-pillows-in-the-fridge-beforehand method tonight.
AspiringGenius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Someone on TSR the other day suggested having a hot shower because you're cool when you get out and suprisingly this worked for me last night so I'd give it a go.
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AspiringGenius)
Someone on TSR the other day suggested having a hot shower because you're cool when you get out and suprisingly this worked for me last night so I'd give it a go.
Interesting - a lukewarm shower would be better if you've spent a lot of time being active outside though, it'll draw more heat from your core
tealover96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have the hottest room in the house...so I've started sleeping downstairs where it's loads cooler.
But still found myself waking up in the middle of the night last night!!
Still, I've found that sleeping downstairs has helped me
Kimango
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have lots of cold pillows nearby! And if you have long hair, bundle it up in one clump because long hair can make you heat up very quickly :P
I always end up not sleeping until the sky becomes a little brighter :P when will it rainnnnn
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.48%
No (529)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.78%

Watched Threads