Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is interest applied to student finance loan? Is interest added after every month or year or neither. I found the interest rates for each period of my life but it fails to specify how it's applied. Also, it says interest added to the loan balance after first payment (which is after my course). Does this mean that I don't pay the 3% + RPI interest on my student loan during the 4 years while I'm studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theterminator)
    How is interest applied to student finance loan? Is interest added after every month or year or neither. I found the interest rates for each period of my life but it fails to specify how it's applied. Also, it says interest added to the loan balance after first payment (which is after my course). Does this mean that I don't pay the 3% + RPI interest on my student loan during the 4 years while I'm studying?
    Interest is calculated daily, and applied monthly. (If you pay the loan in full early the settlement figure is calculated based on daily interest.)

By first payment it means the first payment of loan to you, i.e. the start of your course, not your first repayment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applicationa)
    Interest is calculated daily, and applied monthly. (If you pay the loan in full early the settlement figure is calculated based on daily interest.)

By first payment it means the first payment of loan to you, i.e. the start of your course, not your first repayment.
    okay, can you correct where I'm wrong:

RPI + 3% is approx. 6.8%. In this case, if interest is calculated daily, then after a month you pay 1.068^28 of what you started with i.e. you pay over 600% of your initial loan. That can't be correct.

Can you show me a few calculations just so I understand it better please?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares about the interest when they're taking a loan like Student Loan

ReputationRep:
    Hi, RPI + 3% is the maximum your loans go up per year. Every day you owe 1 /365th more of RPI + 3%. Hope that makes sense.

More info here

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.