Visiting Paris solo Watch

La belle jolie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really want to visit Paris for a few days this summer, but nobody else I know wants to go, and I can't find any Contiki tour type thing to go on.

Would it be weird to go on my own and stay in a budget hotel etc.?

Also, any recommendations for where to go/what to do in Paris?
Schichtoe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, it wouldn't be weird at all but I'd recommend you stay in a youth hostel rather than a hotel. I've done that before and you often can make friends quite easily by doing that, because there's a bar/you see them at breakfast or whatever.

In terms of visiting it depends on your budget. The big touristy things are so popular because they're good (you can easily spend multiple days in the Louvre) but Paris is expensive. Definitely go to the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur at night, and even if you're not religious attend the ceremony there. It's both free and amazing. There's a real cosmopolitan atmosphere there too, and if you're brazen enough you'll make friends on the steps.

Versailles is worth the day trip outside the city too, by the way.

Have fun!
parry_93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by La belle jolie)
I really want to visit Paris for a few days this summer, but nobody else I know wants to go, and I can't find any Contiki tour type thing to go on.

I did 4 days solo in Paris in May.

Paris is expensive
Including flights, meals, travel, hotel I spent around £8/900

Paris is really easy to get around on the metro.
You dont really need to go on a tour. Theres A LOT to take in whilst in Paris.

I didnt manage to do everything whilst I was there.
I did the Notre Dame, Arc de triomphe, eiffle tower x 2 then visited some suburbs of paris. Did some shopping on champs elyeese.

Its not weird. No body will think you're weird for doing it.
I really enjoyed it myself.

If you want to go then go.
However even 'budget' hotels will be expensive at this time of the summer as it is peak season.

Have a look on Accorhotels you will get all prices ranges and locations.

However do check the location as some are VERY far out from the city of paris.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Staceyc1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im going through the same thing except i want to go to poland. Everybody keeps acting like its weird for a female to go alone, its annoying. You'll be fine but try go into a hostel because you'll meet more people
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schichtoe)
No, it wouldn't be weird at all but I'd recommend you stay in a youth hostel rather than a hotel. I've done that before and you often can make friends quite easily by doing that, because there's a bar/you see them at breakfast or whatever.

In terms of visiting it depends on your budget. The big touristy things are so popular because they're good (you can easily spend multiple days in the Louvre) but Paris is expensive. Definitely go to the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur at night, and even if you're not religious attend the ceremony there. It's both free and amazing. There's a real cosmopolitan atmosphere there too, and if you're brazen enough you'll make friends on the steps.

Versailles is worth the day trip outside the city too, by the way.

Have fun!

Have you traveled alone before? If so, where to?

Did you actually stay in a hostel sharing a room with complete strangers? this is what you are suggesting the OP to do, if I am reading you right
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Staceyc1990)
Im going through the same thing except i want to go to poland. Everybody keeps acting like its weird for a female to go alone, its annoying. You'll be fine but try go into a hostel because you'll meet more people
are you going to share a room with strangers or book a private room of your own?

I'd like to to travel solo, but im unsure about hostels
Staceyc1990
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
are you going to share a room with strangers or book a private room of your own?

I'd like to to travel solo, but im unsure about hostels
I had hoped to go in august but its looking like it might be nearer october, if someone doesnt come with me then i'll be staying in a room with people. I'll be on a budget so a private room will prob cost too much
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had hoped to go in august but its looking like it might be nearer october, if someone doesnt come with me then i'll be staying in a room with people. I'll be on a budget so a private room will prob cost too much
Im in a similar situation, the thought of staying in a room in a hostel with strangers concerns me
Schichtoe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you traveled alone before? If so, where to?

Did you actually stay in a hostel sharing a room with complete strangers? this is what you are suggesting the OP to do, if I am reading you right
Yep. Through most of Europe, and I now often stay in hostels in Germany, France and London for work (for example I was in a hostel in Munich for a few months).

Sharing a room with complete strangers is basically how hostels work. If you're 1 or 2 of you, there'll still often be 10 people you don't know in the room with you. It used to freak me out to think about it but then after a while it's fine. Everyone is in the same boat. I am aware it's not for everyone, but then travelling alone isn't for everyone either. I presume you've never done the hostel travelling experience from your response..
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schichtoe)
Yep. Through most of Europe, and I now often stay in hostels in Germany, France and London for work (for example I was in a hostel in Munich for a few months).

Sharing a room with complete strangers is basically how hostels work. If you're 1 or 2 of you, there'll still often be 10 people you don't know in the room with you. It used to freak me out to think about it but then after a while it's fine. Everyone is in the same boat. I am aware it's not for everyone, but then travelling alone isn't for everyone either. I presume you've never done the hostel travelling experience from your response..
no I havnt but I'd like to travel alone and hotels are so expensive for a solo traveller.

using hostels is a strange concept to me as i'd be alone and sharing a room with strangers

it would be slighlty easier travelling with another person and sharing a room with some strangers
Staceyc1990
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Double check incase theres any cheap private rooms. When are you thinking of going?
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Double check incase theres any cheap private rooms. When are you thinking of going?
I have no set date as such, and you?
Dekota-XS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't go Paris, infact don't go to any European countries at the moment, they're all in recession. Talking from experience as I've just got back from Ireland, you'll be hit with currency exchange rate, high traveling costs within the city, dining out costs are exorbitant no matter where you eat and any minor slip ups in hotel reservation or flight bookings and you could be out of pocket by €€€s. I'd recommend you go to a non-EU country if you're plan is for a value for money holiday.
Staceyc1990
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dekota-XS)
Don't go Paris, infact don't go to any European countries at the moment, they're all in recession. Talking from experience as I've just got back from Ireland, you'll be hit with currency exchange rate, high traveling costs within the city, dining out costs are exorbitant no matter where you eat and any minor slip ups in hotel reservation or flight bookings and you could be out of pocket by €€€s. I'd recommend you go to a non-EU country if you're plan is for a value for money holiday.
Yeah, everybody told me to try poland for cheapness. Paris doesnt seem a budget place but that might not be a problem for the OP
Mouchetic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no I havnt but I'd like to travel alone and hotels are so expensive for a solo traveller.

using hostels is a strange concept to me as i'd be alone and sharing a room with strangers

it would be slighlty easier travelling with another person and sharing a room with some strangers
I've experienced the hostel for the first time last year and it's def. worth it. I mean especially if you're travelling on your own and want to meet people. Most of those "strangers" will consider you as their roomate at the first look so don't really worry about it. Like someone said earlier in the post, we're all in the same boat. Of course, hostels are not that clean and safe than hotels but be sure you'll have so much more fun by waking up and having people around the same age as yours that might invite your for a walk, diner or anything.

You should try it once and make your own opinion.
Still, make sure not to let your valuable stuffs on your bed. Well it never happened that someone stole the macbook I let on my bed but that's better to prevent ; bad people are everywhere.

(Original post by La belle jolie)

Indeed, hotels are quite expensive in Paris and even in suburbs.
And if you're planning to travel alone for a couple of days, you should seek for youth hostels ; there are some in Paris some friends of mine has been to, they're friendly places. Check the feedbacks though.

And life in Paris is.. as expensive as in most of big cities, obviously.
It tends to be even more expensive if those people who came here went for shopping more than sightseeing.
I can recommend you some places or so, depends on what you want to do whilst here
Don't hesitate to travel, don't be stopped just because no one else's free to go with you.
Plus Paris is really next door.. you can come really cheap. I'm saying this because i've been for the first time to London the past week and it was worth it even going alone.

Check on Megabus and Eurolines for cheap buses journey. And Couchsurfing to meet local people or travelers around the area or even ask for a couch if you're adventurous enough
TrynaGetThePipe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dekota-XS)
All countries worth going to are in recession.
Dianne95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As for the first time in Paris, you should rigorously plan your trip because there are so many sightseeing places and you'll need either to compromise them(that depends on your time in Paris) or to choose ones which appeal to you (landmarks) such as: Eiffel Tour,''Notre Dame'' Cathedral, Louvre Museum,the Latin Neighborhood,""Sacre Coeur"" Church and so on. There are too many sightseeing attractions so you should give a thought. I went to Paris 3 times so I'd visited many places so if you need some advice about visiting Paris you could ask me and I'll give you the info you want.For accomodation search for a hostel or Etap hotel because they are cheapper and the rate price-quality is ok . And not to forget,try the ""bateau mouche"(that specific boat)experience for having some fun and for discovering very easily this enchanting capital.Have a good trip and let me know about how you had spent it!!!
Saranne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've travelled alone to Krakow, Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Istanbul and Seoul. I stayed in budget hotels paying around £20 per night. I felt safe in all those cities, even at night and it certainly isn't weird. I didn't like Prague much though as the people were unfriendly and didn't speak to me. I think the key is to look confident and as if you know exactly where you're going, even if you haven't a clue! Keep the map in your bag until you find a shop or cafe :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saranne)
I've travelled alone to Krakow, Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Istanbul and Seoul. I stayed in budget hotels paying around £20 per night. I felt safe in all those cities, even at night and it certainly isn't weird. I didn't like Prague much though as the people were unfriendly and didn't speak to me. I think the key is to look confident and as if you know exactly where you're going, even if you haven't a clue! Keep the map in your bag until you find a shop or cafe :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you find such cheap hotels? did you use the internet?
Saranne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I booked flights and hotels through Expedia. I didn't want to stay in shared accommodation but I did want something fairly close to the city centres because I didn't fancy walking miles down back streets at night on my own. So I took my time doing the research - checking where the hotel was on the map and reading reviews etc. I haven't been to Paris for years, so not sure of the prices, but in my experience any country in the euro zone is likely to be more expensive than those which are not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed