Advice needed Watch

simonbaker123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I've finished my AS and I'm starting my A2 in september. I want to study either maths or physics, at the moment I'm quite set on maths to be honest, but I'm not sure how good my chances are of getting accepted into Bath for a maths masters degree (my first choice at the moment).

You need an A*AA for Bath or AAA with AEA.
I study maths, further maths, german and physics.

I did my maths GCSE a year early, which then meant I completed my AS in year 11 and my A2 this year. I got an A in my AS and I'm predicted an A* in my A2, although I can't get an A* this summer as I got only 78 UMS on my C3. But I aced my C4 and I'm confident I got 90+ as I checked all my answers with techniques I developed on my calculator and they were all correct, so I think I will have to retake C3 to get an A*.

I feel my exams went well this summer and I'm confident I got an A in further maths, not so sure about physics though at the moment, nothing below a B but not sure if I got an A.
My predicted grades are A*AA but I'm not sure if I can achieve them or not, my exams are always very shaky, sometimes I perform brilliantly and sometimes I panic and get nervous. I don't really have much extra-curricular to mention on my PS at the moment so I'm a bit anxious about that :/. Because I've finished my maths I now want to take up either AEA or AS Biology.

My main questions are;
1. What extra-curricular activities could I take part in that I could mention on my UCAS (mathematical related)?
2. Is anyone studying maths at bath? If yes, how are you finding it?
3. Is it realistic to be accepted into Bath to study maths?
caitypanda96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should be fine getting into bath, you could always try doing step as well then its lowered to A*AB. Doing your maths early may help at GCSE I did mine 18 months early and that helped with sixth forms, some unis aren't always keen on a levels done early but it shouldn't matter. However considering you did it early it should be fine resitting c3 if you need to. I want to study maths at uni too and I've just finished my as levels, hopefully they went well, extra curricular are hard to find that are related to maths, but you should read around the subject and try and get work experience, like I'm getting work experience at a bank this summer. Also maths is in everyday life so you could try and find a way to link it to maths? I'm quite nervous about my exam results as I sometimes get really nervous in tests too, I'm not sure what AEA is, but biology is good, just be prepared for plants if you're doing edexcel. Biology is good as a kind of break as I do maths, further maths and physics, but you definitely have to enjoy it especially with the coursework
simonbaker123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by caitypanda96)
You should be fine getting into bath, you could always try doing step as well then its lowered to A*AB. Doing your maths early may help at GCSE I did mine 18 months early and that helped with sixth forms, some unis aren't always keen on a levels done early but it shouldn't matter. However considering you did it early it should be fine resitting c3 if you need to. I want to study maths at uni too and I've just finished my as levels, hopefully they went well, extra curricular are hard to find that are related to maths, but you should read around the subject and try and get work experience, like I'm getting work experience at a bank this summer. Also maths is in everyday life so you could try and find a way to link it to maths? I'm quite nervous about my exam results as I sometimes get really nervous in tests too, I'm not sure what AEA is, but biology is good, just be prepared for plants if you're doing edexcel. Biology is good as a kind of break as I do maths, further maths and physics, but you definitely have to enjoy it especially with the coursework
AEA is like another version of STEPs. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Good luck in your results, where have you applied to study?
caitypanda96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay, i think i remember reading about them, and good luck too.
I haven't applied anywhere yet but atm I'm thinking about Cambridge and Warick then Leeds or Bath as a back up, however I am still looking at other unis so i may change my mind. At the minute I'm not sure about masters in maths but I am going to see then decide in the second year, I want to be an actuary and I'm not sure how much a masters will help, plus I'll have lots of exams to qualify as an actuary too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads