Feel bad for not helping someone who fell off their skateboard Watch

James CC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So as I was walking home from university yesterday, there was this guy on a skateboard which passed me on the sidewalk. When he was 10 meters in front, he fell off, but at the same time I was about to cross the street. I saw him fall off, and he made eye contact with me for a second when he got back up.

Now, I continued crossing the street instead of helping him, and I felt really bad about it . I saw (while I was on the other side of the street) that he was hurt and took a while before he picked up his skateboard and carried on walking (quite slowly I might add).

When I think back to it, I should have gone back and helped. But, it's not in my personality to approach strangers, I get nervous when meeting new people.

Would anyone else have helped? Am I a bad person for just ignoring him?
rattusratus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
to be honest hes a skater, its probably happened a million times and his pride was probably hurt more than anything - unless he was clearly badly hurt (bleeding, wrong facing limbs, broken bones etc...) then I would call an ambulance an try to help
Jack995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
was he skating too fast? if he was skating recklessly then he deserved it, otherwise, i guess it would be understandable why you feel slightly guilty. still, as the above poster has said, he's probably done it many times.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When some of us fall, we don't need help. We just need a few minutes to sort ourselves out and then we can get up.
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm similar to you, I don't like getting involved in other people's situations and I would have probably tried to walk away without getting involved, but I probably would have asked him if he was alright if I had made eye contact with him.

The fact you have created a thread about this because you are so worried about it is a likely indicator that you are not a bad person.
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If he got back up ok he's probablly alright besides as someone else said hes probably use too it,

That being said, you shouldnt feel too bad about yourself, atleast you cared enough to feel guilty about it after, in the end of the day that says more about you than say if you just walked on by and didn't think anything off it and just forgot,

So dw, I'm sure he's alright, and if you're really that worried you could always phone a local hospital, though im almost certain that'd be unessescary

all the best!
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jack995)
was he skating too fast? if he was skating recklessly then he deserved it, otherwise, i guess it would be understandable why you feel slightly guilty. still, as the above poster has said, he's probably done it many times.
What has 'deserving it' got to do with anything?
James CC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the feedback guys, good to know that I didn't seem like a jerk for walking away. I've never been good in situations like these. I guess I sort of did want to help, but was too scared to.
Jack995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Elcano)
What has 'deserving it' got to do with anything?
well, if he was skateboarding recklessly, he is clearly asking for an accident, as do people who drive recklessly.
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well, if he was skateboarding recklessly, he is clearly asking for an accident, as do people who drive recklessly.
So?
Jack995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Elcano)
So?
so he deserved it as a consequence for his actions. wake up mate!
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nice to know you'd leave people lying on the pavement because you think 'they deserved it'.

Nice going, m8.
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's just hope you don't fall and nobody helps you up then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
montstar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up. - Alfred in Batman Begins.

Don't worry about it, we all wish we'd acted differently in certain situations, all you can do is act differently next time.
FabiusMaximus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I would have stopped to ask whether he was okay. But if you feel guilty about it this time, just make sure you stop and check next time. It shouldn't be a nerve-racking thing to show compassion to somebody who might need your help.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't have helped him either. In fact, I would have walked away as quickly as possible to remove myself from the situation. Social awkwardness
Jack995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simplylldxo)
Let's just hope you don't fall and nobody helps you up then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What? That makes no sense what you just said. Re-read what you just said there honey.
Nutella:3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
cartman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's nothing compared to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Wang_Yue

****ing disgusting. Hope every single one of them rots in hell. Heartless *******s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
27.97%
No (569)
72.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise