The Student Room Group

Is there a need for an East and a West Sussex?

They both seem pretty similar to me, demographically, geographically, etc., so why did the Government, several decades ago, officially divide this county in two? Unless somebody can give me a satisfactory reason why this was done then it seems all so terribly pointless, bureaucratic and wasteful to me. I can't detect any major differences between the two counties or their inhabitants.
At the end of the day are any bordering counties really that different from each other?
Reply 2
Well, yeah, take Hertfordshire and Essex, for instance....or Cheshire and Lancashire. But that's not the point, is it? Sussex was always known as 'Sussex', till about 40 years ago when it was divided between East and West Sussex. Why? What's the point? They seem pretty much the same to me. Both are known for their woodlands, hills, beaches and Areas of Outstanding Beauty. Both are rather posh and well-to-do, generally speaking, of course. Both are quiescently English, home to numerous quaint picturesque market towns with visions of cricket on the village green and Vicar's on bicycles. All the things that come yo mind when most people envision the prosperous South East of England and all the respectable middle-class propriety that accompanies such notions of the pristine Home Counties.

My own connections to 'Sussex' is through my maternal grandparents who were from Cuckfield, and the family itself has hailed from that county for as far back as we can trace. Nevertheless, I'm sorry to say my own knowledge of why the county was split into two separate counties is nil. Either way, it does not make a lick of sense to me why that split ever occurred in the first place.
Keeps the oiks and chavs in East Sussex from penetrating the border to posh West Sussex.....You stay on your side Mr East Sussex Chav, and we'll stay on ours.
East Sussex is much more deprived. West Sussex sound vibes decent respectable folk when i was there back in the 90s

Representin the Heath/RH16 crew.
Original post by Dodge-Slant-6
Keeps the oiks and chavs in East Sussex from penetrating the border to posh West Sussex.....You stay on your side Mr East Sussex Chav, and we'll stay on ours.

What a surprise to find a snob like you hailing from West Sussex. The place is full of witless snobs.

Quick Reply

Latest