Applying for an "End-On" course is blowing my mind. Watch

jono_s
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi.
Right. I have just technically graduated from a foundation degree (2yr) at Aberystwyth University and have been offered a place on the final year of the BSc course for Countryside Conservation. This route is commonly taken at Aberystwyth. I have been assured that the fees should remain the same as before the 9k hike.

Actually applying for student finance is very difficult as there is obviously no option for "end-on" or "follow-on" courses within the system.
Applying for a whole new course seems pretty impractical and time consuming, not to mention that I've left pretty much all my important documents (e.g. passport) back in Aberystwyth.

Any idea of the easiest way to go about this?
Many thanks!
Jono Shavelar
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Jono,

You are asked on the application if your course is a top-up and you should indicate that it is.

The reason that you're being asked to reapply from scratch is because you have officially finished one course and you are now applying for a separate new course (albeit a top-up to your previous one). As this is the case you are considered as a new student again meaning that we need all the relevant information from you again.

As long as you have an in date Passport you can include the relevant info from your Passport on your application so you don't need to be sent the physical Passport to do this.

Hope this explains,
Mark-Lee
jono_s
Hi Mark, thanks for getting back to me, I'll try to see if there's a top-up option I missed.
Regarding the passport info I don't have any relevant information with me, i.e. number/expiry/issue etc and in the original application I can't find this information anywhere...
Does this inevitably mean I'll have to send some kind of evidence of identity to SF even though my account has already been verified and I've sent evidence in the past etc?
jono_s
Okay wow.
I can't get past the "Your Course" section. Every time I fill out the form I get the following message.

"Error
Unfortunately there has been a problem with your application, please use the continue button to return to the 'Your Application and Next Steps' page. If this problem persists then please log out and try again later. "

Seems extremely consistent.

Furthermore, at what point in the process does the form ask whether or not it's a top-up/follow-on/end-on course?
All I can seem to do is add the Degree course and say I'm going to be studying the third year. A section asks
"Give the date that you started the HNC, HND or DIP HE. (dd/mm/yyyy)"
But I did a FDSc not Higher National Diploma etc...

Thanks
jono_s
Hi again mark,
The previous points still stand about there being no option for a top-up/follow on course. It's possible to just say I'm studying the 3rd year of the degree. I've also obtained my passport number.
The current issue is that every time I finish the section I'm currently on I simply get this message:
http://i.imgur.com/Cj5HMsn.png
I also get the same thing if I try to go into any of the previously filled out sections, e.g. if I click "about you" or "previous loans study".

I'm hoping that's a problem which can be fixed at your end?

Thanks
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

When you log in you should ensure you complete a new application.

You are classed as a new student.

You should complete the form in full.

Thanks
jono_s
You mean like this?
http://i.imgur.com/fRB8b52.png

I'm still facing the exact same problem, I've completed the 'my course' section over 10 times now and every time it just returns the same generic error...
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi again,

If you click on the 'To be Completed' link shown above and go back to the 'Your Course' details section, there will be a question asking if your new course is an 'End on' or 'Top up course'. You must indicate that this is the case and continue with the application from there.

If you still have issues with this, it may be best if you attempt to complete your application using a different internet browser or complete the paper version of the application and send this in instead.

http://bit.ly/18nxy1Z

Thanks,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads