Crash Higher Physics? Watch

GoldenOne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I chose two sciences for my Standard Grades, Biology and Chemistry. I absolutely despised Biology and regretted taking it and believing that I should have taken Physics instead. I chose my Higher subjects, dropping Biology and taking Higher Chemistry. Unfortunately, there is mutual dislike between me an the teacher who is going to be taking my Chemistry class to the extent that I am genuinely considering changing it. I know that I definitely want to do a science higher in 5th year, and because of the way the columns have worked out, the only other option for me is to do crash Higher Physics (I probably wouldn't have even considered Biology anyway).

I haven't received my Standard Grade results yet, so these are my prelims that could be relevant:

Grade 1 for Standard Grade Maths
Grade 1 for Standard Grade Chemistry
Grade 1 for Standard Grade Biology

What do you think my chances are of getting at least a B in a crash Higher?
Legii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, my advice for you is to take Higher Biology and Higher Chemistry, then crash Higher Physics in your sixth year if you are staying on. I did Higher Human Biology and went on to do Advanced Higher Biology and while I won't say it's been a fun year, it's definitely worth it. I didn't do chemistry at standard grade so ended up crashing both chem and physics and much prefered chemistry. I hope you can try and change classes regarding chemistry, otherwise, don't let the teacher put you off a wonderful subject! Higher physics isn't to difficult to crash but I did higher maths before I did physics, and I was doing Adv higher maths so my experience is different from what yours may be like. Hope it helps.
Claire__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't let a bad teacher affect your choice of subjects; Chemistry is a great science to have and if you like the subject a bad teacher shouldn't be a problem. Like I hated Int 2(we dont do standard grades at my school) Biology because of my teacher, but once I was on study leave and was revising(the stuff he didn't teach us...) at home, I loved the subject(and so far, it's great at higher with a new teacher).

However, if you do crash higher physics, if you're good at maths/other sciences it shouldn't be too difficult to get at least a B in the higher(I took all 3 sciences, and a good chemistry knowledge lends itself well to physics). Have a look at the standard grade course if you do choose to crash it as there's a lot of stuff at that level that's in the higher, but look at the higher course too just to make sure you actually want to do the subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.36%
No - I got the required grades (124)
56.88%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (30)
13.76%

Watched Threads