Turn on thread page Beta

Poland Outlaws Halal and Kosher slaughter of animals watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Poland Outlaws Halal and Kosher slaughter of animals on the basis of unecessarry animal cruelty. The ruing is expected to re-ignite the debate in other EU countries across the continent if this is maintained. What are your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    This is good news, but I will add some caveats.

Kosher in particular, is not "cruel". It originated thousands of years ago precisely to make it as humane as possible. Up to quite recently, it was still the most painless method. The slaughterman has to train for years before qualifying. The cut to the animal's throat drops the blood pressure instantly, thus losing conciousness immediately (like fainting)

I have seen some pretty horrific footage of mass slaughter houses that are supposed to be 'humane' with their stun, but often miss their target or the animal comes round by the time it is to be slaughtered.

However, on the balance of things, stunning does seem more humane when done properly. Religious groups need to import their meat or move to a country that allows their outdated methods.

ReputationRep:
    Good! Poor animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    This is good news, but I will add some caveats.

Kosher in particular, is not "cruel". It originated thousands of years ago precisely to make it as humane as possible. Up to quite recently, it was still the most painless method. The slaughterman has to train for years before qualifying. The cut to the animal's throat drops the blood pressure instantly, thus losing conciousness immediately (like fainting)

I have seen some pretty horrific footage of mass slaughter houses that are supposed to be 'humane' with their stun, but often miss their target or the animal comes round by the time it is to be slaughtered.

However, on the balance of things, stunning does seem more humane when done properly. Religious groups need to import their meat or move to a country that allows their outdated methods.
    I've seen cows with their tracheas ripped from their throats and they are still conscious writhing around in their own blood, including the blood of other cows. Kosher and Halal and other ritual slaughtering methods are barbaric practices that should belong in the past. We have better methods today available to us. I would like to see the injection (which puts them to sleep) being used instead of a bolt-gun though. We should be putting some money and research into developing an injection which works for animals, one which does not cause distress or suffering but which works within a few minutes of the animal feeling drowsy and sleepy and off they go. Of course, I would like us all to give up meat, and just have quorn or some meat substitute instead. But that isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care how they kill the animal. I care little enough about the animal to eat it so it makes no difference to me how they kill it as long as it doesn't ruin the taste.

ReputationRep:
    Good for Poland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I've seen cows with their tracheas ripped from their throats and they are still conscious writhing around in their own blood, including the blood of other cows.
    Yet another convenient personal anecdote from you.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is hilarious

Muslims/Jews can still import meat I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Slightly hypocritical when meat-eaters complain about the slaughtering of animals. Cruelty to animals is wrong- period.

If you care so much about their well-being, become a vegetarian.

And how many of you know the exact method of how your meat was sourced anyway? Be it Non-Halal, Halal or Kosher

Clearly not many
    halal and kosher meat is labelled as such

ReputationRep:
    Way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Have any proper studies been done on whether animals feel pain or not during halal/kosher slaughter? The only one I can find is an outdated one from 1978. I just don't understand how an animal can still feel pain if its brain is being deprived of blood, as per halal/kosher method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr hyde)
    Have any proper studies been done on whether animals feel pain or not during halal/kosher slaughter? The only one I can find is an outdated one from 1978. I just don't understand how an animal can still feel pain if its brain is being deprived of blood, as per halal/kosher method.
    probably from the noise a throat-slit cow or sheep makes while its bleeding out- its quite disturbing. it doesn't lose all its blood at once, it reminas conscious for some part of this time. the point of 'humane slaughtering' was to render the animal uncoincious to pain for as much of the process as possibly, but in the old abrahmic practices, animal welfare was not the primary concern

ReputationRep:
    I find this a bit silly really. in fact I'd go as far as to say halal/ kosher slaughter is the most humans form of killing animals the UK has. Here, the animal is stunned into unconsciousness then has its throat slit the traditional way. This is kind of the best of both worlds because if the slaughterer is rubbish and would have caused the animal pain it's been stunned anyway so wouldn't feel it. And if the stun goes wrong the animals are killed quickly by the slit instead of being paralysed and in pain without people realising as sometimes happens.

I don't know if Poland has this method but if so I'm baffled as to why they've banned it. If they don't they should adopt it instead of outright banning halal/kosher meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dungarees)
    I find this a bit silly really. in fact I'd go as far as to say halal/ kosher slaughter is the most humans form of killing animals the UK has. Here, the animal is stunned into unconsciousness then has its throat slit the traditional way. This is kind of the best of both worlds because if the slaughterer is rubbish and would have caused the animal pain it's been stunned anyway so wouldn't feel it. And if the stun goes wrong the animals are killed quickly by the slit instead of being paralysed and in pain without people realising as sometimes happens.

I don't know if Poland has this method but if so I'm baffled as to why they've banned it. If they don't they should adopt it instead of outright banning halal/kosher meat.
    stunning is nothing to do with halal/kosher- its a non-religious invention. in fact outside the west I doubt much such slaughter is conducted with stunning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dungarees)

you should watch a video of halal slaughter its disturbing to say the least to see the animals in this distress - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bZzxep87c

ReputationRep:
    Things like this make me a bit suspicious. Is the reasoning behind this law really based on animal rights, or is it just an excuse to suppress some religions?

(Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    Well this is hilarious

Muslims/Jews can still import meat I guess.
    Did Poland legalise bestiality? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Things like this make me a bit suspicious. Is the reasoning behind this law really based on animal rights, or is it just an excuse to suppress some religions?

Did Poland legalise bestiality? :confused:
    I don't really trust this thread.............there is no source, and last I heard of this issue was back last year when a top court found it to be not allowed against current laws and Poland is still deciding about opting out of a EU law allowing religious slaughter :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    If they really cared about animals they would just ban the comsumption of meat altogether.
    Get a sense of proportion will you. For example I can state that I want to legalize some durgs e.g cannabis, this doesnt mean that i want to legalize all drugs that may be more harmful e.g heroin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    If they really cared about animals they would just ban the comsumption of meat altogether.
    I think there is a middle ground. I don't think it's inconsistent to support killing animals for food but to be against doing so in an excessively cruel way. Although I personally don't know if Halal slaughter is excessively cruel or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2011wc2013ct)
    probably from the noise a throat-slit cow or sheep makes while its bleeding out- its quite disturbing. it doesn't lose all its blood at once, it reminas conscious for some part of this time. the point of 'humane slaughtering' was to render the animal uncoincious to pain for as much of the process as possibly, but in the old abrahmic practices, animal welfare was not the primary concern
    Yet people involved in halal/kosher slaughter claim that the animal loses conscious very quickly - which would make sense since its 2 major veins are sliced open. Even humans who suffer from major heart attacks are unconscious within 20 seconds (http://firstaid.about.com/od/cpr/f/H...iac-Arrest.htm) - I'd imagine the time would be even less for an animal that is directly losing blood from the body through 2 of the largest vessels.

Why doesn't the government (or the newspapers reporting, if it's their responsibility) show us the evidence on which they based this decision? I can't accept that a method of slaughter is inhumane if the only thing suggesting it is the opinions of politicians - the vast majority of whom I doubt will have advanced past high school biology.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.