The Student Room Group

Poland Outlaws Halal and Kosher slaughter of animals

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spaz Man
It seems here that the main pain is caused by the incision at the beginning which when done by skilled butcher is extremely quick.

That's debatable. At the very least, stunning takes away the risk of improper cutting.

Original post by Spaz Man
Furthermore, why not just stun and then do the incision?

Why not indeed?
Reply 121
Original post by Farm_Ecology
That's debatable. At the very least, stunning takes away the risk of improper cutting.

Why not indeed?

So what takes away the risk of improper stunning?

The cut is not felt using the proper tools and it takes 15 seconds for the animal to lose consciousness after the jugular vein is severed.

Plus, for an animal to be halal it must be well looked after. Stuffing animals within confined cages is against Islam, so it isn't all about how the animal is slaughtered. Respecting animals and preventing as much torture to the animal as is possible is the most important thing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fungii
So what takes away the risk of improper stunning?

Unfortunately, improper stunning is a problem. That said, assuming well-maintained equipment, the risk is somewhat low. The issue is that without the stunning, the technique still causes pain and distress when done properly.

Original post by Fungii
The cut is not felt using the proper tools and it takes 15 seconds for the animal to lose consciousness after the jugular vein is severed.

The studies I provided suggest otherwise.

Original post by Fungii
Plus, for an animal to be halal it must be well looked after. Stuffing animals within confined cages is against Islam, so it isn't all about how the animal is slaughtered. Respecting animals and preventing as much torture to the animal as is possible is the most important thing.

I completely agree.
Reply 124

Is that up to date? The entry for Poland links to this article:

http://www.wbj.pl/article-50423-zoophilia-legislation-expected-in-parliament-this-year.html

Dated in 2010.

I doubt that they purposefully made Zoophilia legal, they just never made a law against it. So your image is probably still wrong. They never legalised it, they just never made it illegal.

Anyway, if the objection to halal slaughter is based on animal cruelty, I don't think it's necessarily hypocritical to lack an explicit law against bestiality. Take cows for example, they're probably used to having things shoved up inside them (farmers have to do it all the time for various reasons). They probably wouldn't even notice if you put something much smaller than a hand up them, let alone finding it painful.

Not that I'm saying it should be legal of course :tongue: But if your aim is to prevent cruelty to animals, having an explicit law against sexual activity with animals isn't necessary to achieve that aim. Cases where it does cause them to suffer would already be covered by more general laws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending