Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did BA Maths at Cambridge with a First Class back in 2009-12, worked in i-banking for one year (partially because I need to fund my graduate study) and will continue with a Master in Maths at Cam this coming autumn. My courses had been (and will continue to be) concentrated in Fluid Dynamics area (which is under Dept. of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in Cam) and would like to seek engineering job opportunities in the relevant area (I'm less inclined to apply for a specific PhD programme and take research position soon).

I saw companies like Rolls Royce hiring MEng/MSc background people for its "Aerothermal/Fluid Dynamics" area in the Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone could kindly share some insights if there's any possibility for people with my background to tap into above mentioned job market? If so, anything I should start to prepare / be minded of for job application (throughout the year of Master's programme at Cambridge)?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evan247)
    I did BA Maths at Cambridge with a First Class back in 2009-12, worked in i-banking for one year (partially because I need to fund my graduate study) and will continue with a Master in Maths at Cam this coming autumn. My courses had been (and will continue to be) concentrated in Fluid Dynamics area (which is under Dept. of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in Cam) and would like to seek engineering job opportunities in the relevant area (I'm less inclined to apply for a specific PhD programme and take research position soon).

I saw companies like Rolls Royce hiring MEng/MSc background people for its "Aerothermal/Fluid Dynamics" area in the Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone could kindly share some insights if there's any possibility for people with my background to tap into above mentioned job market? If so, anything I should start to prepare / be minded of for job application (throughout the year of Master's programme at Cambridge)?

Cheers!
    Your situation is very similar to mine, although your academic credentials are considerably more impressive

I graduated last summer with a BSc in Maths from Warwick, and am currently in the final stages of an aerodynamics MSc course at Cranfield University. I'm still looking around for jobs in the aerospace sector.

There may well be a chance that the prestige/reputation of your degrees might get you to the interview stages of the aerospace sector, but to be honest these guys look for a lot of vocational content in the degrees. They look for engineering accreditation, relevant programming and software experience (Matlab/CFD software, C++ etc), relevant internships, university projects, etc. Forgive me if I'm wrong but Part III is purely academic, even if you specialize in the Fluid Dynamics modules there.

If you look around in the Rolls-Royce career FAQs they mention that they recruit small numbers of mathematicians and physicists alongside engineers, so its not completely impossible, just extremely difficult.

If you're dead set on fluid dynamics, maybe consider a more vocational phd afterwards? I hear the Cambridge engineering department is currently doing a lot of work in collaboration with Rolls-Royce...

ReputationRep:
    I know several people with maths background working in Fluid Dynamics (mostly CFD modelling) so it is certainly possible. However, if you are interested in further study I would second the recommendation to consider an engineering PhD based on fluid dynamics where you would gain some experience of using commercial software packages such as FLUENT or CFX. This would really enhance your prospects of getting roles in this area.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.