Turn on thread page Beta

Can I make myself like wine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had a really bad experience with wine when I was 15 - I was really stupid and typically horrifying 15 year old drinker girl and basically got really smashed at a party and was really sick and it was awful etc. I'm now 19 and while I still drink (though i'm a much nicer and better drunk now!!) I just cannot bring myself to drink wine because of that one party 4 years ago. It's so annoying because all my girl friends drink it and I feel sick if I can smell it. I want to be able to join in on the 'girly nights' when everyone's got rosé and I just have to drink either soft drinks or something too 'clubby' like a vodka and lemonade. I do really like gin and tonic which I guess is an alternative 'classy' drink but my mum said I should be able to order a good wine at a restaurant aged 19 and i do agree. It seems like a really stupid thing but if I was to go on a date or something and they suggested sharing a bottle of wine I just wouldn't be able to do it.

so yeah, i know this is a ridiculous worry compared to the stuff some people have to go through but does anyone have a suggestion as to how to enjoy wine, e.g. a type that's very easy to drink or anything else.

thankssss

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you probably wont like the kind that made you sick before largely due to the trauma from it, even smelling or tasting or even seeing that type of wine might set it off, what I would say however is experiment with different brands or colours if wine is what you really want to drink,

I mostly drink beer but I wanted to get to like wine purley for anytime im at a "formal" dinner situation where beer isnt always an option lol anyway I like 2 and thats all really, californian reds and black tower white (german I think) and tbh thats probably all I will ever like as goes wine, but I dont mind cos Im a guy, its purely for formal dinner/xmas purpouses for me tbh lol

As for yourself I would say just try one thats drastically different, i.e. if it was a rose go for somthing a bit more red or white perhaps, I always found shiraz bareable but merlot was always a bit erghh lol, as for whites im clueless, though black tower white wine is pretty easy to drink imo (comming from a non wine drinker)

as with anything though its all about aquring a taste for it, most guys dont like beer the first time they drink it, but after a few times it becomes bareable then they start finding their favourites,

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    I'd say you probably wont like the kind that made you sick before largely due to the trauma from it, even smelling or tasting or even seeing that type of wine might set it off, what I would say however is experiment with different brands or colours if wine is what you really want to drink,

I mostly drink beer but I wanted to get to like wine purley for anytime im at a "formal" dinner situation where beer isnt always an option lol anyway I like 2 and thats all really, californian reds and black tower white (german I think) and tbh thats probably all I will ever like as goes wine, but I dont mind cos Im a guy, its purely for formal dinner/xmas purpouses for me tbh lol

As for yourself I would say just try one thats drastically different, i.e. if it was a rose go for somthing a bit more red or white perhaps, I always found shiraz bareable but merlot was always a bit erghh lol, as for whites im clueless, though black tower white wine is pretty easy to drink imo (comming from a non wine drinker)

as with anything though its all about aquring a taste for it, most guys dont like beer the first time they drink it, but after a few times it becomes bareable then they start finding their favourites,

Hope this helps
    thanks, what does black tower wine taste like?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to drink wine because it's so cheap to get drunk on. Unfortunately I can't stand the stuff

ReputationRep:
    I hate wine, sadly its the only thing they serve at formal meals at my college.

ReputationRep:
    I had a very bad experience with tequila one night. Just sniffing the stuff would have made me throw up for the following 4 years or so.

I have since been able to drink it because I have mostly forgotten the true horror it caused, but I wouldn't go as far to say I like it.

I didn't really like it in the first place, so I reckon you could like wine again, but it may take some time.

ReputationRep:
    I also hate wine and it hates me! I recently tried to start drinking it for most of the reasons you've already listed. I tried white Zinfandel which is a very drinkable fruity rose wine. Unfortunately I took it too far and after 2 bottles to myself I had to endure a very poorly day the day after!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateorange111)
    thanks, what does black tower wine taste like?
    I've only ever had Black Tower White and its quite mild in comparison to other white wines imo (doesnt give you that same ARHGH MY THROAT the first time you drink it lol)

Its light not too strong (again imo) but it'd get ya pissed pretty fast in comparisson to say beers, but yeh it has a very basic white wine taste (grapey?) lol

I find it more bareable than other white wines though purely because its not as harsh/strong? guess that makes it light taste

ReputationRep:
    It's not a bad thing to dislike wine. I dislike wine and used to wish I could drink it for similar reasons to yourself. Now, however I prefer to drink what I actually genuinely enjoy, especially when I'm with friends.
    If you dislike wine so much that you can't even stand the smell then you shouldn't force it down. However if you're determined I would suggest choosing fizzy rose's that taste far more like pop than anything else and gradually building yourself up to the stronger stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe to get yourself used to the taste again try making a spritzer with white wine? I think white wine (not dry white, yuck) is nicer than red. Rose isn't too bad either.

ReputationRep:
    Is it the smell of the wine which puts you off or is it the worry that youll have a repeat of that night? I had a bad experience myself after getting drunk off wine. Different drinks can effect people in different ways, maybe wine doesnt agree with you like it doesnt agree with me? I still sometimes drink wine, however I only drink it if I know Im not going to be drinking much thus not getting drunk eg if Im out for a meal, a few drinks in etc and Im fine. However if Im somewhere where I could potentialy get drunk eg a party I stick to vodka and coke. As for getting used to it maybe try mixing it with soda water or lemonade? Maybe try a sweet wine instead of dry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I learnt about this in psychology. It's a natural thing to happen, which especially 100s/1000s of years ago was useful as anything that makes you ill, your body doesn't want you to be having again.

My psychology teacher said this happened to her with tuna. She'd been out drinking and when she got home she had a tuna sandwich. 5 minutes later she was sick and continued to be so all night. She knows it was the alcohol that caused her to be sick, but her body associates the tuna with being sick and thus it makes her gag every time she sees/smells it.

You say you can drink other alcohol, so that's a start.

What might work is if you don't have wine on it's own. Either water it down, so it's weaker. Or perhaps have a spritzer where it's mixed with lemonade. Or have cocktails/sangria that contain wine. Get used to those first. Whichever you have, get used to them being low in wine content, then gradually (and I mean gradually) make them stronger, until you think you can try it without any lemonade.

ReputationRep:
    When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be about making yourself look better as you age.

To answer the OP is certainly is possible. Take it slow. Slowly incorporate wine back into your life and gradually increase the amounts you drink.

ReputationRep:
    Years ago I had some kind of cinnamon shot and was really ill. I can't stand the smell of it or even anything similar. I still haven't gotten over that lol if someone else drinks it I move away from them!

Wine can be easily hidden though, try it with some orange juice?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.