The Student Room Group

AS Level Predictions

Hi all, another AS level student here slightly concerned about the big day next month.

I realise this sort of thing is impossible to really 'calculate', but generally speaking (and this is directed primarily to current A level students, I suppose), how likely is it that you would be getting the AS results you were expecting?

Specifically, in yours (and others') experiences, how likely is it that you get a grade in one (or indeed several) subjects far, far lower than what you expected? Like a freak result.

Also, for students whose sixth form/college gave them predicted AS grades (such as mine, but they were never really set in stone), how likely is that you would have achieved those?

Again, I realise there's no formula to any of this, I would just appreciate to hear some stories. :smile:
Original post by TheWrightStuff
Hi all, another AS level student here slightly concerned about the big day next month.

I realise this sort of thing is impossible to really 'calculate', but generally speaking (and this is directed primarily to current A level students, I suppose), how likely is it that you would be getting the AS results you were expecting?

Specifically, in yours (and others') experiences, how likely is it that you get a grade in one (or indeed several) subjects far, far lower than what you expected? Like a freak result.

Also, for students whose sixth form/college gave them predicted AS grades (such as mine, but they were never really set in stone), how likely is that you would have achieved those?

Again, I realise there's no formula to any of this, I would just appreciate to hear some stories. :smile:

I guess you just never know because I was predicted a grade C in my Media Studies exam but I ended up with an E.
I was'nt dissapointed because I knew that I tried my best, I was more shocked and this led me to think that they had'nt marked my paper correctly. But then only one person in my class acheived their target grade, so... :rolleyes:

But, I was also predicted a C in Psychology but I got an A and I did'nt even try my best then because it was Unit 01.
The moral being that you just have to try your best and know that you put in as much work as you wanted, because that's usually what you'll acheive. However, the grade boundaries are dependent on the other thousands of people who are taking the same exam as you who may get lower or higher then they thought meaning that what is "normal" for a C, as example, may instead be equivalent to an E in that series.
Reply 2

A predicted grade from a teacher seems to be generally accurate in most teachers' cases (not all). The teacher considers the ability, progress and test results from throughout the year and predicts a grade which reflects the last stages of your work (i.e. there comes a time in class when a student sometimes tends to improve and that level is maintained for the rest of the year). Sometimes teachers can recognise that, over the study period, further revision will bump marks up to a low/mid grade A (for example), if that student is obtaining results that reflect high Bs/low As.

My story is that I was predicted AAAB. I was pretty sound with two of the As I was predicted, more or less. I agreed and was confident I could do it if I tried. The other A and B I wasn't so sure about. I would have probably said B and C. One was RS, where my essays throughout the year were getting As-Ds, with mainly As and Bs in the last stretch. However, I was worried my teachers' judgement of the grade was completely off as the mark scheme leaves it all very subjective and open to interpretation. I was worried they thought my essays were better than the examiners would. Turns out I ended up getting an A, and they were right. So, if you have good teachers, trust them.

The other subject was Biology, where I was literally getting Cs and Ds and a couple times even failed the past papers. I couldn't do it. They ambitiously went for a B prediction, hoping I might buck up and get the hang of it over study leave, probably. I worked my arse off. Really really tried to get the hang of it. And I did, getting an A. (I couldn't believe it and did wonder if they'd added up wrong but hey, not gonna argue with that :smile: ).

In conclusion, my opinion is that, unless it's a known fact your teacher has massively mucked up predictions in the past (showing they might not be all that good at it), it's wise to trust their judgement. They've seen so many students go through the same course and are used to certain patterns of ability and results.

They don't always get it right, no, but they aren't psychic and after predictions it's down to you to bring the results. People gain higher than predicted because they might have slacked off a bit in the year but really buckle down on study leave, or people gain lower than predicted because perhaps they have a wobbly exam or bad questions or run out of time to revise the last bits or get too comfortable with their prediction and forget that they actually have to work very hard to achieve it.

If you want another story, my friend had a "freak" result. She was predicted an A in RS like me and she was doing really well, nobody doubted she wouldn't get the A if she revised well and wrote essays like she did in class. She got a C in the end, because she panicked in the exam and ended up not really answering the question, instead writing a general essay surrounding the topic in question. Still, her prediction was still accurate in a way because she should have and could have gotten the A, it was just a fluke. She retook and got an A in January.
Reply 3

Generally teachers are quite accurate with their predictions within 1 grades above or below, but it changes throughout the year dependent on your progress. At the start of year 12 I was predicted CCCC it gradually increased to A's and B's near the end of the year and on results day I got ABBB. There are exceptions caused by bad exam markers, students not revising enough, nerves. But usually you're either on your prediction, below by 1 or above by 1
Reply 4
Thanks for your stories everyone!

Original post by lou_100

My story is that I was predicted AAAB. I was pretty sound with two of the As I was predicted, more or less. I agreed and was confident I could do it if I tried. The other A and B I wasn't so sure about. I would have probably said B and C. One was RS, where my essays throughout the year were getting As-Ds, with mainly As and Bs in the last stretch. However, I was worried my teachers' judgement of the grade was completely off as the mark scheme leaves it all very subjective and open to interpretation. I was worried they thought my essays were better than the examiners would. Turns out I ended up getting an A, and they were right. So, if you have good teachers, trust them.

Heh, very similar situation here with RS. My teacher seemed quite professional, but she did apparently teach the A2 course students the wrong content. I've checked and thankfully she didn't repeat the mistake for the AS years.
I want ABB. There. It's out there.
If I don't get that, I'll be pretty gutted.

Quick Reply

Latest