Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As with most people my story is a very long winded one so I will try to keep it short.

Basically, I started University in September 2011. I passed my first semester exams and did extremely well, my depression got the better of me and I didn't attempt the May exams and I didn't feel able to do the resits in August so I was started the second semester again last September.

Basically, without going into too much detail, after an abortion and an even bigger downward spiral into depression in March this year, I didn't attend any lectures and again didn't attend the exams this May.

I am wondering if people have had any similar experiences in retaking twice, or if it is simply not done/allowed. To be honest, I would much rather start the first year again including the first semester so I am all in from the beginning and it feels like a complete fresh start. Only attending certain days and lectures for modules I felt very disconnected to the people on my course and I feel that had a very detrimental effect on my anxiety. So, I'm just wanting advice, opinions etc.

I know it must look to an outsider that I don't give a sh*t, seeing people from September 2011 now going into their third year is making me feel worthless but I want to gain this degree and I know I can do so.

Thank you if you read all that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm doing a similar thing where I left last year and going back this September but apparently you can go back and do all over again as many times as you want. When you go back to the 1st day basically go and find the department leader/lecturer and basically tell them the situation and that you need to be in full time to remind yourself of the course in full to allow you to get the best of your course and degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You have two problems. One is that the uni might not let you - they can't just let students keep doing it as many times as they want as this makes their statistics look bad. You'll need to check with your tutor whether you can resit everything.

Then, you'll need to check with student finance whether they will fund it. If you can provide medical evidence of your problems then your previous attempts should be viewed as you having "compelling personal reasons" leading to you failing, but you need to apply for this and check that you will get funding.

It's certainly not as simple as mjcollins suggests, and definitely not something that can be left until September. You need to start sorting this now.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda forgot about the finance side of things to be honest, stand corrected...
    So basically if the university you wish to study at is open then pop in to see a course lecturer or course leader to find out if it's viable for the university to let u resit all the course before applying for the finance or at least before accepting the finance.

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.