Which aftermarket cooler? Watch

Iqbal007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I realised that maybe using the stock cooler isn't so good, especially on a AMD FX-8120 and starting to feel the heat with the new weather.

So got 3 choices pretty much?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Well known, cheap, reputable, etc

Cooler Master Hyper 412s
Just a better version of the above, few quid more and quieter

Cooler Master Hyper 612s
The beast of the bunch, its only about £32 at the moment, hence why I was thinking about it, and from what I understand it excels in cooling while still being very very quiet.

Are there any other options out there guys and thoughts?
Staying within a small budget, and 612s price is looking really good.

Also not sure whether it will fit inside my CM 690II case or whether it may block ram slots :/
dathtom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
I realised that maybe using the stock cooler isn't so good, especially on a AMD FX-8120 and starting to feel the heat with the new weather.

Cooler Master Hyper 412s

Cooler Master Hyper 612s
The beast of the bunch, its only about £32 at the moment, hence why I was thinking about it, and from what I understand it excels in cooling while still being very very quiet.

Also not sure whether it will fit inside my CM 690II case or whether it may block ram slots :/
I'd usually say save your money and get the 212, but £32 for the 612 is a really good deal.

In terms of space you've got more than enough room to fit the cooler into the case, (Height is 128mm, room inside is 177mm), but it will likely cover your RAM slots, which isn't a problem unless you have large heat sinks on them.
ZRO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im running a Corsair H60 with a modded Push Pull fan config and it does the job. Look into closed water cooling systems?
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ZRO)
Im running a Corsair H60 with a modded Push Pull fan config and it does the job. Look into closed water cooling systems?
They're actually far more expensive for the price than air coolers until you get to dual rad solutions.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
(Original post by dathtom)
I'd usually say save your money and get the 212, but £32 for the 612 is a really good deal.

In terms of space you've got more than enough room to fit the cooler into the case, (Height is 128mm, room inside is 177mm), but it will likely cover your RAM slots, which isn't a problem unless you have large heat sinks on them.
I was wondering the same thing, its a really good deal and its almost silent from what I hear.

I was thinking about that as well, well I got g.skill ram not lp though....mobos a 990fx sabertooth.
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was wondering the same thing, its a really good deal and its almost silent from what I hear.

I was thinking about that as well, well I got g.skill ram not lp though....mobos a 990fx sabertooth.
You can see how much space you get here, should be fine by the looks of things -
Name:  vert_install.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  67.7 KB
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
You can see how much space you get here, should be fine by the looks of things -
Name:  vert_install.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  67.7 KB
Ok, gonna order it now, with £20 amazon vouchers courtesy of TSR
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, gonna order it now, with £20 amazon vouchers courtesy of TSR
:eek: How?? I can make money from procrastinating on here??
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
:eek: How?? I can make money from procrastinating on here??
Member of the month, but very hard to get............and sometimes a once in a year survey from tsr offering a free tenner.
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Member of the month, but very hard to get............and sometimes a once in a year survey from tsr offering a free tenner.
To be fair you probably deserve it with your insane 13k posts :P
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
To be fair you probably deserve it with your insane 13k posts :P
Its got nothing to do with that, it just depends on what you have been posting and if people nominate you.
FrancisPM
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Cooler Master Hyper 412s

Cooler Master Hyper 612s

I have the 612s and it is big. I have cooler fins on my Ram and so simply moved the fan to a slightly higher position on the cooler (very easy to adjust) and the cooler runs very well and very quiet.
Cal97g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FrancisPM)
I have the 612s and it is big. I have cooler fins on my Ram and so simply moved the fan to a slightly higher position on the cooler (very easy to adjust) and the cooler runs very well and very quiet.
Ew rice fins.

OP Should have gone with a closed circuit water cooler.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cal97g)
Ew rice fins.

OP Should have gone with a closed circuit water cooler.
On a tight budget, only getting the 612 as its good value for money and very quiet
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On a tight budget, only getting the 612 as its good value for money and very quiet
Fair enough with the tight budget thing, pumps can occasionally be a little loud if you get a bad one.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Fair enough with the tight budget thing, pumps can occasionally be a little loud if you get a bad one.
Watercooling is far too expensive, if I wanted one I would prefer making a custom one which is too expensive.
Plus the 612s from what I read is very very quiet, that the graphics card is more audible which I'm looking forward to.
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watercooling is far too expensive, if I wanted one I would prefer making a custom one which is too expensive.
Plus the 612s from what I read is very very quiet, that the graphics card is more audible which I'm looking forward to.
£40
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...dition-fan-oem
dathtom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wish I went for a NH-D14 instead of H100i, since I had to limit my OC cos the fans are too loud. Still got 4.7ghz though.
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wish I went for a NH-D14 instead of H100i, since I had to limit my OC cos the fans are too loud. Still got 4.7ghz though.
Change the fans?

Also, Corsiar H80 refurbished for £35.99 - a much better deal.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...-am3-fm1-and-f

Free delivery if you have 10 posts on Hexus.net
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Thats still higher than the average OC people get from intels chips, usually around 4.5ghz generally for people.
Also suddenly after buying my cooler, the price has risen to £48 :/ pretty good deal
I would say consider moving the radiator to a different position if your case allows it, to a lower position from the usual top position of the case. Or consider getting a proper noise cancelling case, other then that theres not much you can do, considering the fans used in the h100 are very high spec.

Also the cooler will fit, found out through pixmania pics they used my case as an example http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1085...html#srcid=369

Change the fans?

Also, Corsiar H80 refurbished for £35.99 - a much better deal.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...-am3-fm1-and-f

Free delivery if you have 10 posts on Hexus.net
ETA 6 Weeks - From 21/06/13.....................thats a seriously long waiting time :/

Also pretty sure that h100i uses Corsairs own high performance fans, which are supposed to be pretty good but expensive.

It's a good deal, but looking at the time, it doesn't look so good, nor am I currently a fan of pre-made cooling system pretty much these days heavy heatsink coolers have catched up with pre-made stuff like that and can be actually quieter while providing the same performance. And takes up a fan slot, also a pain to stick in.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads