Turn on thread page Beta

Xbox one or PS4? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I know everyone has mixed opinions in this subject but I am interested to hear which console everyone is more likely to enjoy. Personally I am an Xbox fan especially since the restrictions have been relaxed but surprisingly Playstation have some interesting ideas which makes me think about purchasing a PS4 even though I favor an Xbox. Where does everyone else stand? Please no arguements as we cannot say which is better as neither has been released so pleased respect everyone else's opinions Happy gaming!

ReputationRep:
    I have a top end pc and all consoles, I would only get a console for exclusives, never the lack of power. I personally love JRPGs etc so I'll probably go for the PS4 first and then XB1 later on but if the XB1 US features came to the UK soon that might change. I am hoping some games like Fable 4 are XB1/PC but I'll still probably get the PS4
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Playstation 4 - Better hardware, cheaper, no useless kinect.

ReputationRep:
    I have a PS3 at the moment and was thinking of moving to Xbox before the Revelation because all of my friends are on Xbox. Now, however, most of my friends said they would be moving to PS4 when it does come out so I'll probably do the same, because to be honest the best part of gaming in my opinion is playing with your friends.

I just hope the PS4 has an improved UI and controller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Pretty much this for me. I don't want a kinect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bizz)
    I am hoping some games like Fable 4 are XB1/PC but I'll still probably get the PS4
    I am also looking forward to some great games being released on both consoles especially destiny and the elder scrolls online not sure about halo, have been a massive fan since I first played it as a young child on the original Xbox but halo 4 was just far to disapointing for me

ReputationRep:
    The Playstation being cheaper considering what you get is probably the main reason I am considering the PS4 and I highly agree with you on the kinect which absolutely sucked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mário)
    I have a PS3 at the moment and was thinking of moving to Xbox before the Revelation because all of my friends are on Xbox. Now, however, most of my friends said they would be moving to PS4 when it does come out so I'll probably do the same, because to be honest the best part of gaming in my opinion is playing with your friends.

I just hope the PS4 has an improved UI and controller.
    I have had both Xbox and Playstation but I preferred the Xbox due to the mass of online capabilities and the ease to communicate and play with friends but after seeing the functions offered by the PS4 and am seriously considering swapping consoles. The only problem is all my friends play Xbox and are staying with Xbox

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PS4 for me, not ruling out Xbox One in the distant future but I already have a PS+ account so I'd get free stuff for the PS4

ReputationRep:
    What are the main reasons people are so against having Kinect? Is it the extra cost? I'm guessing it's the main reason the Xbox One is more expensive than the PS4.

Are there other objections to it apart from that?

ReputationRep:
    PS4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What are the main reasons people are so against having Kinect? Is it the extra cost? I'm guessing it's the main reason the Xbox One is more expensive than the PS4.

The kinect just sucks! It's not as fun as how they advertised it and the movement/voice recognition for the dashboard just makes navigation hard and time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    [/thread]

(Original post by Psyk)

Cost generally doesn't bother me. I bought a PS3 instead of a 360, even though the 360 was cheaper. Mainly because I loved my PS1 and PS2. I wanted to carry on playing Playstation's.

I don't want the Kinect, because the type of games that make use of it aren't appealing to me. The increase in price, when I don't even want the hardware is another factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh Cushions)
    The kinect just sucks! It's not as fun as how they advertised it and the movement/voice recognition for the dashboard just makes navigation hard and time consuming.
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    [/thread]

Cost generally doesn't bother me. I bought a PS3 instead of a 360, even though the 360 was cheaper. Mainly because I loved my PS1 and PS2. I wanted to carry on playing Playstation's.

I don't want the Kinect, because the type of games that make use of it aren't appealing to me. The increase in price, when I don't even want the hardware is another factor.
    Well if it's not about the cost, I don't understand the objection to it simply being there. Yes you have to have it plugged in, but you don't actually have to use it.

I agree that so far it's not really it's not really been much use for games, outside of dancing games anyway. I've used it once at a friends house, but I wouldn't buy one myself.

But even if you don't want to use it, I don't see how it being included in the package makes the console a worse product (aside from cost). Just because it takes up space under your TV?

With things like this there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Developers don't want to go to too much expense making Kinect features in their games because not that many people have them (at least not the demographic their game is aimed at). But one of the reasons not many people have one is because not many games make good use of it. Bundling it in with the console solves this aspect of it. Developers know that everyone playing their game has a Kinect, so there's more value in making use of it.

So I see why they decided to make it an integral part of the console. I actually think Sony should have done the same with their camera.

ReputationRep:
    The xbox one had a few undesirable issues and microsoft did fix them. but the thing that gets me is the petition to change it all back... thats annoying, and what is even more annoying are the ********s that sign it just so they can try and make microsoft flipflop...

if i had the money i would get the ps4, ive had every other generation, might as well get the 4 :pierre:
    though i do want to get a cheap xbox 360 or something that can play all the halos/gears of war. there were a few ports of halo to the pc which i like, too bad they didnt port ALL the games to the pc :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But even if you don't want to use it, I don't see how it being included in the package makes the console a worse product (aside from cost). Just because it takes up space under your TV?
    It doesn't really make it a worse product. I'm just trying to understand why the Kinect has to be switched on so the console can be used. I still haven't read any information telling me why it's required. That concerns me. The space isn't a problem for me, but maybe it is for others.

(Original post by Psyk)
    With things like this there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Developers don't want to go to too much expense making Kinect features in their games because not that many people have them (at least not the demographic their game is aimed at). But one of the reasons not many people have one is because not many games make good use of it. Bundling it in with the console solves this aspect of it. Developers know that everyone playing their game has a Kinect, so there's more value in making use of it.

So I see why they decided to make it an integral part of the console. I actually think Sony should have done the same with their camera.
    I completely understand what you're saying, but the developers need to show us why having a Kinect is worthwhile. If they made a game(s) that show us why having one is worthwhile, people will buy one. The evidence that has been shown so far suggests that it's not necessary. All Microsoft have shown is that the Kinect can change the channels on my tv, while I talk to it. It looks like a very expensive remote control.

Microsoft making it compulsory seems to have been taken largely as a negative. The gamers don't seem to want it. If games are made that make good use out of it, I'll take back what I've said. I seriously doubt any games will, though.

ReputationRep:
    I've been a lifelong Playstation player so I don't think I'll change now. I did get a 360 a few years ago but I rarely use it these days so I'll get a PS4.

ReputationRep:
    Wii U

ReputationRep:
    Up until Microsoft did a u-turn on all the terrible policies the Xbox One was going to be held down by, I was dead set on getting the PS4. Now they've backtracked, I'm happy enough to buy one but I'll be making the decision based on which platform more of my friends go for to play online with. That or just drop that £350/£400 on a new graphics card for my PC :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Playstation 4, Ryse could have sold me the Xbox One had it been any good but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.