Maths Qualifications Watch

This discussion is closed.
ShaneJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello what are some advanced maths qualifications? I really like mechanics and computing maths and stuff, I know their is A Level maths but can someone recommend a course or exam. I am not going to pick it as an option due to conflict in the maths department at my school. My other a level options are Bio, Chem, Sociology, Psychology
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShaneJ)
Hello what are some advanced maths qualifications? I really like mechanics and computing maths and stuff, I know their is A Level maths but can someone recommend a course or exam. I am not going to pick it as an option due to conflict in the maths department at my school. My other a level options are Bio, Chem, Sociology, Psychology
There isn't a well respected alternative to A Level maths. New qualifications are proposed but won't be available anytime soon.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
There isn't a well respected alternative to A Level maths. New qualifications are proposed but won't be available anytime soon.
Oh okay, I guess i will be self teaching A Level maths then. I was thinking of the Edexcel Bored but cant find a good textbook for M4-5 can you recommend one?
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay, I guess i will be self teaching A Level maths then. I was thinking of the Edexcel Bored but cant find a good textbook for M4-5 can you recommend one?
M4-5?

You don't need to go Higher than M2 in A Level maths.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
M4-5?

You don't need to go Higher than M2 in A Level maths.
I am going for FM and Additonal FM as-well, Sociology is very easy so i can focus on maths
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am going for FM and Additonal FM as-well, Sociology is very easy so i can focus on maths
I take it you are just being silly. One hour ago you weren't even going to study A Level maths.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
I take it you are just being silly. One hour ago you weren't even going to study A Level maths.
No, I have been thinking of it for along time but keep saying no because i am unsure, I have the specs and sams for it AQA and Edexcel but i am not sure about it.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some advanced maths qualifications? How about a PhD in the field?
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noble.)
Some advanced maths qualifications? How about a PhD in the field?
Yes, My cousin got his last year, I was reading through his notes and they are so interesting.
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, My cousin got his last year, I was reading through his notes and they are so interesting.
Can't have made much sense reading 'notes' on a PhD with only GCSE Maths :lol:
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
Can't have made much sense reading 'notes' on a PhD with only GCSE Maths :lol:
They did make sense, I read lots of books (textbooks). I really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They did make sense, I read lots of books (textbooks). I really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know
What's his PhD in?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know
why?

I cannot understand why, if you are as keen on maths as you suggest, you would not want to read maths

Also ... if you are really keen on doing maths post 16 I suggest that you look to change schools to one where there is a good maths team
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Weird that yesterday you didn't show any interest in mathematics at all.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=43542033

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and am minded to close it so be warned.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
What's his PhD in?
Fluid Mechanics and Post Doc Thermodynamics (Physics but still Maths)
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
why?

I cannot understand why, if you are as keen on maths as you suggest, you would not want to read maths

Also ... if you are really keen on doing maths post 16 I suggest that you look to change schools to one where there is a good maths team
I am keen on maths but everyone thinks i am stupid so i don't like to show off because people don't like it when you are cleaver in my school
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
Weird that yesterday you didn't show any interest in mathematics at all.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=43542033

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and am minded to close it so be warned.
I really do have an interest in mathematics, That thread was the ones i am going to do most probably but now no Japanese a waste of time and money.
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am keen on maths but everyone thinks i am stupid so i don't like to show off because people don't like it when you are cleaver in my school
Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.
I am sorry if my dyslexia bothers you so much but yes i do have a 'basic English qualification'
shamika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)

No, I have been thinking of it for along time but keep saying no because i am unsure, I have the specs and sams for it AQA and Edexcel but i am not sure about it.
Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads