Help with my Custom Gaming Build PC Please Watch

mfgcasa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think I have everything, but I just wanted to check if this build would work as it is. e.g. Enough Power etc.

---- Build ----
CPU:
Intel Core i7 (3770K) 3.5GHz Quad Core Processor 8MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed (Boxed)

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Motherboard

Memory:
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2X2133​C9R Vengeance 8GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Red

Storage:
Harddrive:
Western Digital Velociraptor - 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM

SSD:
SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G2​5 128GB SATA 6GB/s 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

Case:
Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower Case

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2U​K Builder Series - 600W Power Supply

Video Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Optical Drive:
LG CH10LS28.AUAR 10x SATA Internal BD Combo Retail Kit with LightScribe Labelling Technology

I have checked and all components and they should fit in the case.

my specs should be(If it really matters)

600W (I need around 400-500 I think)
Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz Quad-Core
8GB of Memory
I TB of Hard Drive Space running at 10000 rpm
128 GB of SDD 6 GB/S
1GB of Video Cards

Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this build. Also I might add in another graphics card(at a later date) and was wondering if I would have enough power(watts) to do so.
Badger_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
iMac. That is all.
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Badger_)
iMac. That is all.
Thank you for your suggestion, but my current build is by far superior to that computer make and cheaper as well. Also I can upgrade this current build while that one will stay the same.... it would make a terrible Gaming PC overall(The imac) and as far as I know only schools go for that model and then run a PC version because it can be sold for a very cheap prize when buying a lot.(This suggests it is priced terribly and not worth the money as they can give major discounts)

However I would have still gone for this computer with its great .... I can't think of anything right now.... however me and my bro are having a competition to see who has the best computer and I don't want to get something worse.
Astrtricks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should go to a proper computer forum for this kinda stuff (Linus tech tips, OC3D & hardware cannuks are all good) but on the other hand I can give you some advice.

I'll take it as your spending roughly £900

I5 4670k- I7 is overkill for most things

MSI Z87-G45 gaming- Asus's line up for Z87 is overpriced and looks horrible. Plus spending so much on a motherboard has no benefit.

PSU, case- all great if you like them good value for money.

Hard drive buy a WD black- the velociraptors sound like a swarm of flies arrived . I know I had a 60gb one, back in the day.

GTX 660/660ti/7950, an aftermarket one though- this is we're the most money should be spent, a 6870 will be obsolete in two years.

RAM- meh don't really matter I've got 1886 but whatever.

You NEED cooling haswell kicks out a lot of heat it's onwards & upwards hear but be quiet cooler will server you well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally wouldn't get the velociraptor or that amount or speed of memory as it's unnecessary, the money for the SSD would have been better spent on a better video card as well but otherwise it seems fine.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you really need 16GB of RAM?
Astrtricks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohh crap you've got a 1155 socket CPU it won't work with your motherboard only buy a CPU wich is LGA 1150 or prepare for lots of broken pins

Edit to my last: this is just my opinion, so yeah...

PS : go to pcpartpicker and it'll be way easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
I personally wouldn't get the velociraptor or that amount or speed of memory as it's unnecessary, the money for the SSD would have been better spent on a better video card as well but otherwise it seems fine.
Disagree. My brother got himself SSD and it's amazing. I would rather drop to 8GB RAM and put that towards better GPU.
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Astrtricks)
Ohh crap you've got a 1155 socket CPU it won't work with your motherboard only buy a CPU wich is LGA 1150 or prepare for lots of broken pins

Edit to my last: this is just my opinion, so yeah...

PS : go to pcpartpicker and it'll be way easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't you just get a converter?
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
You should go to a proper computer forum for this kinda stuff (Linus tech tips, OC3D & hardware cannuks are all good) but on the other hand I can give you some advice.

I'll take it as your spending roughly £900

I5 4670k- I7 is overkill for most things

MSI Z87-G45 gaming- Asus's line up for Z87 is overpriced and looks horrible. Plus spending so much on a motherboard has no benefit.

PSU, case- all great if you like them good value for money.

Hard drive buy a WD black- the velociraptors sound like a swarm of flies arrived . I know I had a 60gb one, back in the day.

GTX 660/660ti/7950, an aftermarket one though- this is we're the most money should be spent, a 6870 will be obsolete in two years.

RAM- meh don't really matter I've got 1886 but whatever.

You NEED cooling haswell kicks out a lot of heat it's onwards & upwards hear but be quiet cooler will server you well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you I will change the velocirpator for a WD black 7200 rpm 1tb and I will change the graphics later, but I already have it as such I will use it for now.
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by danny111)
Do you really need 16GB of RAM?
No but ram tends to be cheap and 8GB would be enough, but its the best way to upgrade a PC and it tends to show the biggest improvement so I will get 16GB if I feel its worth it. (most good ram costs around 50 -60 for 8GB)
Astrtricks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mfgcasa)
Can't you just get a converter?
What are you mental (überN00B), it's like putting diesel in a petrol car it will never work.

Alternatively you could buy a Z77 motherboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
What are you mental (überN00B), it's like putting diesel in a petrol car it will never work.

Alternatively you could buy a Z77 motherboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright so instead of buying an expensive motherboard that won't work I could get something that would work for 50 quid less.... hmmmmm... I'm going for the expensive motherboard :P

Btw I used parts pickers and it said they where compatible. Whats up with that?(And I double checked and know your right so thanks)
Astrtricks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haswell-1150-z87-4*70

Ivy bridge-1155-Z77-3*70

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danny111)
Disagree. My brother got himself SSD and it's amazing. I would rather drop to 8GB RAM and put that towards better GPU.
He's using this for a gaming PC though, and an extra 60 to 80 quid is going to get him a lot more performance in games when it's invested in a graphics card than a 128GB SSD which will hold maybe 8 or 10 games if he installs windows on it and uses no mods, probably about 5 if he uses it to it's potential. If he dropped the velociraptor and got one of the cheap 480GB SSDs instead then it would be a different matter
Astrtricks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
He's using this for a gaming PC though, and an extra 60 to 80 quid is going to get him a lot more performance in games when it's invested in a graphics card than a 128GB SSD which will hold maybe 8 or 10 games if he installs windows on it and uses no mods, probably about 5 if he uses it to it's potential. If he dropped the velociraptor and got one of the cheap 480GB SSDs instead then it would be a different matter
You don't put games on a SSD... You put the operating system & productivity applications on it... Game loads normally max out at about 300mb/s, so it really doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
mfgcasa
Rep:
?
You don't put games on a SSD... You put the operating system & productivity applications on it... Game loads normally max out at about 300mb/s, so it really doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I know and I will, but I do have games which have very slow loading speeds which I will place on the SDD.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads