GDL or LLB in Scotland Watch

dea000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hoping someone can offer some advice

I have a BSc Hons in a biomedical science and also a MSc in IP Law and now want to study further to become a qualified lawyer in Scotland.

My MSc was in an English university however I assume with a GDL and the differences in Scots Law I would perhaps need to complete something in addition to the GDL & LPC in order to practice here?

I'm also restricted to institutes that offer distance learning as I will be doing this part time whilst working. Do any Scottish universities offer GDL by distance learning?

Just trying to figure out whether a part time GDL would be my best option rather than the LLB.

Thanks!
lyrical_lie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In regards to Strathclyde, I'm not aware they have any law distance learning courses, I may be wrong but I have never heard it through my 3 years of being there. Your best best is going on the UCAS site and searching for the course then seeing what unis in Scotland do it. But I have a feeling Strath doesn't. I think it just has: Law(LLB), Law Fast Track 2 years(LLB), Law with a modern language(LLB), Law with Practical Modules(Can't remember the official name but you work in the Law clinic when you're there and it's a shorted degree)(LLB) and Law(BA). Then the Diploma in Legal Practice (Dip Law).

Hope my rambles make sense.

(Original post by dea000)
x
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
RGU do a distance learning LL.B. For qualification in Scotland you're looking at doing the two year accelerated LL.B (typically not cheap, and aside from RGU it isn't available via distance learning), then if you do well in the LL.B you can move on to do the diploma in legal practice and then you begin a two year traineeship with a law firm.

You might be able to do the GDL and LPC in England and then try to transfer to work in Scotland, but I'm not sure about this route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (487)
80.1%
Leave (121)
19.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed