Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I need some guidance from anyone with knowledge on the matter, i have currently chosen use of maths at alevel. however, i found out on my induction day there was other choices of maths and different grade levels. if someone could help me by telling me the different options of maths and at which grade you should be working at GCSE, so i have a better idea on which maths i should be going for. I already know about mechanics and statistics however this are of no use to me. is there any others? Many thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gcsestudent101)
    Hi guys,
    I need some guidance from anyone with knowledge on the matter, i have currently chosen use of maths at alevel. however, i found out on my induction day there was other choices of maths and different grade levels. if someone could help me by telling me the different options of maths and at which grade you should be working at GCSE, so i have a better idea on which maths i should be going for. I already know about mechanics and statistics however this are of no use to me. is there any others? Many thanks
    What other subjects do you hope to take and what grade do you expect to get at GCSE? If it is C then Use of Maths may be appropriate. If it is A*, A (or maybe B) then A Level Mathematics would be your best choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Use of Maths is only an AS
    You need at least a B to do it
    It is not as respected as A Level by some universities but is suitable as support for other non-maths subjects

Then there is A Level maths for which schools usually require a B at GCSE (with some schools requiring an A at least)
    This involves Core Maths together with some Mechanics, Statistics, or Decision Maths

People who do A Level may well do Further Maths as well which involves more of the same (schools usually require an A* or at least a strong A)

In some schools you can do A Level Pure Maths (just Core Units) but this is rare and schools would usually require at least an A at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    Thanks for the replies, i'm looking to do maths higher than B grade as someone has also said to me anything bellow isn't regarded highly. Therefore something at A or A*

ReputationRep:
    that i can do at A2, at induction day it felt very much like GCSE, something which i do not wont to do again! thanks for the replys

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    Thanks for the replies, i'm looking to do maths higher than B grade as someone has also said to me anything bellow isn't regarded highly. Therefore something at A or A*
    I do not really understand this, sorry

ReputationRep:
    that i can do at A2, at induction day it felt very much like GCSE, something which i do not wont to do again!
    Again I am not sure what you are saying here

A Level maths is a continuation of GCSE maths

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as far as I'm aware there is 4/5 options of maths i can do at my sixth form. I'm currently doing a maths options with caters for students who got B grade at GCSE (Its called USE OF MATHS). I'm asking for guidance on choosing a maths course which caters for more A/A* grade students as during induction day at my sixth form it didn't feel challenging. If you could give me help on which maths course i should do which would be good for me, it would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as far as I'm aware there is 4/5 options of maths i can do at my sixth form. I'm currently doing a maths options with caters for students who got B grade at GCSE (Its called USE OF MATHS). I'm asking for guidance on choosing a maths course which caters for more A/A* grade students as during induction day at my sixth form it didn't feel challenging. If you could give me help on which maths course i should do which would be good for me, it would be much appreciated
    That is what I did in post 3

ReputationRep:
    So what I'm taking is there is an option called just Alevel Pure Maths which is for people who have A grade at Gcse? And thank you for helping me and being patience, I'm just making sure everything is correct before September and at the moment I'm becoming very anxious but thank you for bearing with me.

ReputationRep:
    So what I'm taking is there is an option called just Alevel Pure Maths which is for people who have A grade at Gcse? And thank you for helping me and being patience, I'm just making sure everything is correct before September and at the moment I'm becoming very anxious but thank you for bearing with me.
    What options does your school offer and what is your purpose in studying maths

ReputationRep:
    Use of maths, Stats, Mechanics, i think they do Pure maths and Further maths. And my main reason behind the choice is just because i enjoy the subject and i am potentially looking at something to do with finance in the future

ReputationRep:
    Use of maths, Stats, Mechanics, i think they do Pure maths and Further maths. And my main reason behind the choice is just because i enjoy the subject and i am potentially looking at something to do with finance in the future
    So you know that there is Pure Maths (this is rare) why not just do that

What are your other A Levels

ReputationRep:
    My other options are English Literature, History and Chemistry. And yeah I'm not 100% sure. But surely there must be another maths options for A grade students if not pure maths. Maybe if its under a different name.

ReputationRep:
    My other options are English Literature, History and Chemistry. And yeah I'm not 100% sure. But surely there must be another maths options for A grade students if not pure maths. Maybe if its under a different name.
    Well yes, A Level maths is suitable wether you do the standard Core+Applied or the Pure course

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you help!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you help!
    This MAY help too along with the good advice already given:

http://www.m4ths.com/is-a-level-for-me.html

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking to go into finance then a maths degree might be something you will look in to.

I would be inclined to do maths and further math. Pure maths (core and further pure) units are usually more useful so take as many of them as you can!

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing the A-level Course with Core + Applied instead of pure, so you can do some stats, S1 and S2. Which would be very useful for finance.
    If you can, the stats A-level as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    If you are looking to go into finance then a maths degree might be something you will look in to.

I would be inclined to do maths and further math. Pure maths (core and further pure) units are usually more useful so take as many of them as you can!
    for finance surely the stats modules are more useful than the core. Atleast when you get to further maths, I doubt you ever use complex numbers and linear algebra in finance :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 20, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.