Turn on thread page Beta

Dear TSR, are you happy with the.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    with the moderating here, out of interest? What do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good, all things considered. I've had a few warnings for stuff like spamming that I wouldn't class as spamming, and a lot of the interesting threads get deleted, but aside from that, they seem to manage a large forum pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright. Certain things may be silly and/or extreme, but generally the moderating team is pretty good :yep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I've definitely been on lots of forums where the mod teams have been a lot worse (either much too lenient so the forum descends into chaos or much too harsh so no real discussion can be fostered. Overall I'd say the team strike a fairly happy medium between the two extremes.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found it to be good to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    The mods need to realize they're still people, and we should be allowed to discuss them.

ReputationRep:
    This thread will get deleted,

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's alright..but there's this one mod I reeaaally hate :mad:

ReputationRep:
    However, I'd agree with the general consensus. On a good day, they're pretty fair, on a bad day, completely unjustified alerts are given out, left right or centre. It also depends on what mod you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Lol, what did you get alerts for?
    Discussion of specific alerts/warnings outside of AAM is not allowed :no:

ReputationRep:
    Generally pretty good, but sometimes a bit over sensitive. They've always been nice when I've spoken to them though

I just tread carefully around H and R now and ev.er.y. th.ing. is. f.in.e. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the modding. I get warned quite often and have been banned on occasion. But I can't say it was ever undeserved.

As to the mod people don't like. Let me guess, are you all Mad?

It's mean to single people out.

ReputationRep:
    I find certain Mods can be rather over-sensitive about things, and somewhat skewed in their moderating sometimes. A few times something I've said has been deemed 'offensive' and yet something I've found equally offensive, but chosen not to waste the Mod's time with has later been ignored when I've brought it up for remonstration. Secondly, the mods in H&R are totally inconsistent in my experience. The amount or Trollish behaviour and insults I've seen in there, and one day people will get away with it and the next day they're handing out bans. And again, what equates to trolling, insult or spam and so on varies wildly. I've found myself banned for simple jokes that were in no way offensive and for a post that was deemed 'insulting and demeaning' when I simply replied with my advice on the issue with no intent to insult or demean. I imagine the Mod that handed out the ban was a little sensitive over being bullied in their past. (The topic of discussion was bullying)

In general they are quite good, though I feel too quick to hand out alerts and warnings for Spam to genuine users. Apparently a 3 word comment adding virtually nothing to the conversation is alright, but a picture that includes many words is spam. Odd to me. Outside of H&R I'd say the modding isn't too shabby though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You're implying we censor threads about the team. Have a look around this forum: there are dozens of very large threads criticising moderators and moderation techniques in this forum. If you can keep a thread constructive, regardless of whether it praises or criticises moderation, and not descend into plain mod-bashing or rule-breaking (discussing warnings in public) then the thread is always fine to stay.
    Wheres the line where it becomes 'mod bashing' big brother?

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's very good and reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    A fair few of my posts go missing in the relationships section, but otherwise it seems fine

ReputationRep:
    I just want to pick up on a few points about H&R.

(Original post by Steevee)
    I find certain Mods can be rather over-sensitive about things, and somewhat skewed in their moderating sometimes. A few times something I've said has been deemed 'offensive' and yet something I've found equally offensive, but chosen not to waste the Mod's time with has later been ignored when I've brought it up for remonstration. Secondly, the mods in H&R are totally inconsistent in my experience. The amount or Trollish behaviour and insults I've seen in there, and one day people will get away with it and the next day they're handing out bans. And again, what equates to trolling, insult or spam and so on varies wildly. I've found myself banned for simple jokes that were in no way offensive and for a post that was deemed 'insulting and demeaning' when I simply replied with my advice on the issue with no intent to insult or demean. I imagine the Mod that handed out the ban was a little sensitive over being bullied in their past. (The topic of discussion was bullying)

In general they are quite good, though I feel too quick to hand out alerts and warnings for Spam to genuine users. Apparently a 3 word comment adding virtually nothing to the conversation is alright, but a picture that includes many words is spam. Odd to me. Outside of H&R I'd say the modding isn't too shabby though.
    H&R has it's own sub set of rules that can be found in the H&R Guidelines which might be different to other areas of the sites. We get a lot of threads on sensitive issues and so we try our best to keep threads on topic and sensible. If you think something is breaking the rules you can report it, sadly there is not enough of us to read every single thing that is posted and so without users participation things will sadly slip through the cracks.

(Original post by xDave-)
    A fair few of my posts go missing in the relationships section, but otherwise it seems fine
    In H&R we allow users who have created threads on sensitive subjects to ask for their threads to be removed, this is one of the reasons that what appears to be a perfectly fine thread can disappear

ReputationRep:
    I think the section mods are doing a good job. They've never really been annoying, so im fine with them.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.