I've been accepted to do a Masters degree!! Watch

crazyunicorn133
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
... but having so so so many doubts about whether i'm cut out for it or not.

Its a 2 year Masters in Social Work at The University of Manchester.

Academically speaking, i'm not the best, my degree classification was a 2.2, and i'm sure the reason I got on this masters was mostly down to experience and the fact I am confident with the more hands-on aspects of the role.

Im in a state of shock, I really didn't think i'd get in, especially as such a late applicant.

Anyway, another problem is funding. It kind of ties into the academic worries coz i'd be (probably) getting a personal development loan to cover the fees and that would be putting an enormous amount of pressure on me to do well.
If I failed, I'd lose all that money and end up in a load of debt for nothing.

But if I didn't take the offer I'd be gutted and I know id make a great social worker, I would have a career for life.

I'm just so confused right now

Any help would be great!

Thanks muchly
Badges: 1
Report 5 years ago
Congratulations! Well done!

Don't be afraid. Take the opportunity with both hands and make the best out of it that you can. You don't want to be an academic, you just want to develop your theoretical understanding of social work as well as your practical understanding. Don't think of the course as a hoop to jump through to get a particular grade, but an opportunity to learn about your chosen career path from another challenging angle. You can't fail at that. And you won't fail.

Reading your post, I was actually feeling quite thrilled for you. You didn't expect it, but you took a chance and it paid off! Go for it! Moreover, you said you know you'd make a great social worker, which means you'll definitely be doing that job whatever happens - you will be able to pay off that loan. Seriously, life is short, and opportunities are few, and you already said you would regret it if you didn't.
Dunelm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They would not have accepted you if they didn't think you could do the work!

Hello fellow Manchester masters student 2013!
crazyunicorn133
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by DeMoomin)
Congratulations! Well done!

Don't be afraid. Take the opportunity with both hands and make the best out of it that you can. You don't want to be an academic, you just want to develop your theoretical understanding of social work as well as your practical understanding. Don't think of the course as a hoop to jump through to get a particular grade, but an opportunity to learn about your chosen career path from another challenging angle. You can't fail at that. And you won't fail.

Reading your post, I was actually feeling quite thrilled for you. You didn't expect it, but you took a chance and it paid off! Go for it! Moreover, you said you know you'd make a great social worker, which means you'll definitely be doing that job whatever happens - you will be able to pay off that loan. Seriously, life is short, and opportunities are few,
and you already said you would regret it if you didn't.

Thank you so much for your response, it is very sweet of you

I think i'm trying to not get too carried away with the emotions of it all before I've put any sort of funding in place to pay for the course haha.

I'm also aiming to try and brush up on my critical analysis and general essay writing skills over the summer before the course starts.

I think as well im just a bit scared as this is a huge gamble for me, but I really hope it is the right choice if I do choose to man up and go for it
Suzy2706
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

Hope you decided to go for it! Enthusiasm is better than grades, particularly for things like social work, grades can be deceptive... Have you found somewhere to live if you do take the offer? I'm also doing a masters in September (audiology) and trying to find a place, I know I'm going to have to concentrate so I'm a bit worried about living with undergrads... Pm me if you're interested in sharing a flat?

Suzy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1120)
78.93%
Leave (299)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed