Brighton Halls 2013 Watch

Andrew Day
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering if anyone's got anything back from Brighton about where their living next year or is it too early to have heard?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Andrew Day)
Just wondering if anyone's got anything back from Brighton about where their living next year or is it too early to have heard?
I think people only hear back in mid-late August, when places have been confirmed.
ELM89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I emailed them to find out when offers for halls were made and they said mid-August, which for me is great because I haven't sorted the £540 deposit yet
Andrew Day
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, was getting worried there for a second!
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ELM89)
I emailed them to find out when offers for halls were made and they said mid-August, which for me is great because I haven't sorted the £540 deposit yet
Woah, forgot about the deposit! Now I've got to find that kind of money too!
A.E12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm glad you guys mentioned this, I was totally unaware there would be a £540 deposit :/. After looking into it, of course you're right.

Talk about added pressure.
ELM89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A.E12)
I'm glad you guys mentioned this, I was totally unaware there would be a £540 deposit :/. After looking into it, of course you're right.

Talk about added pressure.
Yep, it's a huge deposit compared to other uni's, my sisters Uni only wanted £120!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Andrew Day
Rep:
?
One of my mates said it goes towards the rent though, with other unis you don't get it back til the end of year
University of Brighton Accommodation
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

You will hear back about accommodation by mid-August, although they usually contact those unlucky few who didn't get a place first (to make it easier for them to find a house).

With regards to 'deposits', we don't take a deposit from you. The payment you've heard about is a first installment of rent, equivalent to slightly more than a month. You will then have a schedule of payments for the rest of the year, unless you decide to pay your accommodation in full.

I hope this helps.
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by University of Brighton)
Hi everyone,

You will hear back about accommodation by mid-August, although they usually contact those unlucky few who didn't get a place first (to make it easier for them to find a house).

With regards to 'deposits', we don't take a deposit from you. The payment you've heard about is a first installment of rent, equivalent to slightly more than a month. You will then have a schedule of payments for the rest of the year, unless you decide to pay your accommodation in full.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Brighton Uni! Nice to have a representitive on here! I can confirm the unlucky ones hear earlier! I heard today that I was allocated my second choice but it was wrongly advertised as self-catered instead of catered by both the university website and the application system which was pretty annoying - although Woodland and Downland halls do look very nice! I was looking forward to the independence but then, I can still cook for myself on weekends and stuff and be lazy in the week when I'm bogged down with exams and work!

Just a question, UoB, how do catered halls work in Brighton with regards to times and everything?
LukaThompson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joshalos)
Thanks Brighton Uni! Nice to have a representitive on here! I can confirm the unlucky ones hear earlier! I heard today that I was allocated my second choice but it was wrongly advertised as self-catered instead of catered by both the university website and the application system which was pretty annoying - although woodland and downland halls do look very nice! I was looking forward to the independence but then, I can still cool go myself on weekends and stuff and be lazy in the week when I'm bogged down with exams!

Just a question, UoB, how do catered halls work in Brighton with regards to times and everything?
So we should all start to hear if we have or have not got our first choice accommodation offers around now? If that is the case of course.

Luke
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LukaThompson)
So we should all start to hear if we have or have not got our first choice accommodation offers around now? If that is the case of course.

Luke
I think you'll hear around now if you haven't got any accomodation. They said that I received the email because I was allocated to my (second) choice but it was wrong in its description, so we could look for private accomodation if we wanted to. I came to terms to it pretty quickly though! The rooms look amazing!
LukaThompson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you'll hear around now if you haven't got any accomodation. They said that I received the email because I was allocated to my (second) choice but it was wrong in its description, so we could look for private accomodation if we wanted to. I came to terms to it pretty quickly though! The rooms look amazing!
Okay cool thanks thats cleared that up cool, well I have not heard anything yet but will look for private accommodation also if not of course When you say the rooms look amazing, is that for the private accomodation?
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LukaThompson)
Okay cool thanks thats cleared that up cool, well I have not heard anything yet but will look for private accommodation also if not of course When you say the rooms look amazing, is that for the private accomodation?
No, for halls. Woodland and Downland!
LukaThompson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh yeah they are brilliant Josh
University of Brighton Accommodation
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Josh,

The standard catering times are 7.30-9.30 in the morning and 5.30-7.30 in the evening, although these do sometimes change slightly from year to year. If for any reason you, or anyone else, has a course which does not allow you to attend during those hours, it can sometimes be arranged for food to be kept behind for you. Catering is only Monday to Friday during term time though.

For anyone waiting to hear back from the Accommodation Office, you'll have to be patient for a little while longer, but they will get round to you (whether successful or unsuccessful).

- Olly
GeorgeV
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Joshalos,

I received an email saying I got into Woodland & Downland as well, although it was my first choice. What course will you be studying at Brighton?

Oh and Brighton Uni, any idea what time students usually get to move in?
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GeorgeV)
Hey Joshalos,

I received an email saying I got into Woodland & Downland as well, although it was my first choice. What course will you be studying at Brighton?

Oh and Brighton Uni, any idea what time students usually get to move in?
That's cool, how are you feeling about it being catered instead of self catered now though? And I'll be doing biomedical sciences, you?
GeorgeV
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's cool, how are you feeling about it being catered instead of self catered now though? And I'll be doing biomedical sciences, you?
I don't mind too much, the only reason most of my choices were self catered was for the experience of being more individual. I think it will be nice to have some meals made for me, as the second year we'll be out of halls and making everything ourselves.

I'll be studying Computer Science (Games).
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GeorgeV)
I don't mind too much, the only reason most of my choices were self catered was for the experience of being more individual. I think it will be nice to have some meals made for me, as the second year we'll be out of halls and making everything ourselves.

I'll be studying Computer Science (Games).
I wanted the independence too but justified it by the fact that we still have to make lunch and cook all our weekend meals anyway. Being catered for in the week will be a godsend when we're tired and bogged down with work! Just hope I live with some nice, unique people!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.29%
No - I got the required grades (54)
62.07%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.64%

Watched Threads