The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Any Current Physics Students?

Hi, I am 24 and will be starting on the 4 year MSci Physics course in October after having done an access course.

I noticed that Bristol does not offer a "Theoretical Physics" degree like some other unis (although I know they do a joint physics/maths course) and just wondered what kind of options if any are there in the theoretical side of Physics.

I would prefer to end up being a theorist, but am a bit apprehensive at the moment as to whether I could handle the maths content as I wont really know until I get stuck into it. But if I can handle it I just wanted to know what is the best kind of pathway on the course to set myself up for ultimately a PhD in a theoretical subject.

Also would like your opinions and comments on the course and uni as a whole :smile:

One question as well which I wondered is what is the difference between MSci and MPhys and if there is no difference in the actual degree why is there a difference in the naming?

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have just finished my second year in MSci physics. Up until now, there has not been any opportunity for theoretical physics (second year has no optional units), however in third year there is the optional module "Methods in Theoretical Physics", which basically teaches you the main mathematical techniques that are useful in theoretical physics. This is a pre-requisite for the forth year module relativistic field theory and there are also several final-year project options in areas of theoretical physics (final year project counts for half of the year).

The course has been variable so far - some lecturers are blatantly better than others and some units aren't particularly well taught, but it's fine as long as you put the work in. The second year mechanics course in particular is pretty difficult, but very interesting at the same time. As for the university - the last two years have been brilliant!

Hope this helps :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Supernovae
I have just finished my second year in MSci physics. Up until now, there has not been any opportunity for theoretical physics (second year has no optional units), however in third year there is the optional module "Methods in Theoretical Physics", which basically teaches you the main mathematical techniques that are useful in theoretical physics. This is a pre-requisite for the forth year module relativistic field theory and there are also several final-year project options in areas of theoretical physics (final year project counts for half of the year).

The course has been variable so far - some lecturers are blatantly better than others and some units aren't particularly well taught, but it's fine as long as you put the work in. The second year mechanics course in particular is pretty difficult, but very interesting at the same time. As for the university - the last two years have been brilliant!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for replying.

I am a bit dismayed that there are no theoretical subjects to pick from until the third year. What kind of theoretical subjects are there to pick from for the fourth year project?

Does the uni or yourself recommend any text books for the first year?

What options did you take in the first year? I will either take astronomy or the maths options; I have heard that the Astronomy option is a early morning start on most days (not that that would really put me off)?

Which classes in the first year would you say are "taught better" than the others?
The projects change year on year, there is also flexibility for something different if you have your own idea. Here are this years projects (theoretical projects are towards the bottom):
https://www.ole.bris.ac.uk/bbcswebdav/pid-1357359-dt-content-rid-3527037_3/orgs/SCHPHY_aca_1112/MSci%2060%20CP%20Project%20Proposal%20Handbook.pdf

The recommended first year text book is Tipler and Mosca Physics for Scientists and Engineers which covers pretty much all of the core content (also useful as a door stopper!). I would wait until you get to uni though before you buy it, as you can get it second hand for half the price. If you decide on the maths option, I would recommend these:
http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-Elliott-Mendelson/dp/0070419736/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374230482&sr=1-5&keywords=schaums+outlines+calculus+textbook
http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Algebra-Seymour-Lipschutz/dp/0071362002/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374230517&sr=1-2&keywords=schaums+outlines+linear+algebra+textbook
partly because they are so cheap.

I took the maths option in first year as I wanted to keep the option of doing joint maths and physics. It is generally regarded to the harder option and only advisable if you have done further maths A-level (but having said that, my friend did it without the A-level and he was fine). As for early starts, in my first term I had four 9ams and one 10am a week, so early starts are pretty much unavoidable!

I'd say the courses depend a lot on the lecturers you get. I think the mechanics course didnt prepare you properly for second year mechanics and it is worth taking time to make sure you really understand the concepts, especially if you havent done (m)any mechanics modules at A-level. I've heard good things about the essential maths for physics modules (which I didnt take because of the extended maths option), and I've heard the astronomy modules are well taught. Waves was also good. A word of warning about the extended maths option - in my year we didnt get proper maths tutors (for small group classes) until about half-way through the year, and even then it was pretty badly organised. Although there's a chance they may have sorted it out by now after complaints.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the info.

I think I will most likely chose the Astro option in the first year; do you know if it is more about actual astronomy or is it more astrophysics if you get what I mean?

Do you belong to the Physics student union group Chaos? I will most likely join up. I am quite interested in a few other more activity based student union groups but don't know how I will fare for spare time to actually do any of them, being on this course?

BTW that first link to the final year projects is not accessible for me as it asks me for a username and password for the Bristol OLE. I would very much appreciate it if you were able to somehow get me a copy.

Thanks.
I don't know about astro, I want to say astrophysics...? but I'm not sure. Ah sorry about the link, you'll be able to access it when you start in September, but in the meantime the project titles are:

A gauge-invariant theory of superconductivity
Majorana Modes, Superconducting Vortices, and String Theory
Metal tape measure kink catastrophe gas (!!)
Polymers as random polygons
Quantum Equilibration
Quantum motion on an ice hemisphere planet

And yes, you should definitely join Chaos!

Spoiler

Other societies are fine especially in first year, as long as you manage your time properly.
Reply 6
Thanks again. Cool, might see you there when I join then :smile:.
Reply 7
Any other Physics students at Bristol? Would love to hear from you... :smile:
I'm going to study Maths & Physics, does it count? :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by FaraDai
Thank you for replying.

I am a bit dismayed that there are no theoretical subjects to pick from until the third year. What kind of theoretical subjects are there to pick from for the fourth year project?

Hi as a Bristol Physicists who also is leaning down the Theoretical route, a lack of specific theory options in first and second year really doesn't matter to much.

Theoretical Physics is fundamentally maths based and the first and second years of Physics don't skimp out on any of the Maths you would learn in any Theoretical course in first/second year.

If you really feel like the Theoretical option is for you, I would highly recommend doing Physics with extended Maths option in first year. This option just means your taught maths in a much more rigorous way and if you enjoy it you can switch to Physics and Maths in second year.

The Physics and Maths option is primarily applied based with only first year containing compulsory pure courses such as Analysis and Linear Algebra. So after first year you will essentially be taking mathematical Physics modules for the rest of your time spent in the Maths department.

Third and Fourth year are where most of the Theoretical options are, this is mainly because you can't really study Theoretical Physics in any depth until you have learn't the pre-requisite mathematics :tongue:

Some of the 4th Year Theoretical Physics options are pretty interesting though, here's some of them below.

General Relativity and Cosmology
Relativistic Field Theory
Particle Physics (Taught through relativistic field theory so very mathsy)
Quantum Information
Advanced Quantum Mechanics (Feynman Path integrals etc...)
Physics of Phase Transitions

and some others I can't remember but 4th year is when the true Theory fun begins as you finally have the Maths skills to actually do some of the stuff :P
Reply 10
Original post by natala_lala
I'm going to study Maths & Physics, does it count? :wink:

Yes it does. :smile: .

Original post by Phil1541
Hi as a Bristol Physicists who also is leaning down the Theoretical route, a lack of specific theory options in first and second year really doesn't matter to much.

Theoretical Physics is fundamentally maths based and the first and second years of Physics don't skimp out on any of the Maths you would learn in any Theoretical course in first/second year.

If you really feel like the Theoretical option is for you, I would highly recommend doing Physics with extended Maths option in first year. This option just means your taught maths in a much more rigorous way and if you enjoy it you can switch to Physics and Maths in second year.

The Physics and Maths option is primarily applied based with only first year containing compulsory pure courses such as Analysis and Linear Algebra. So after first year you will essentially be taking mathematical Physics modules for the rest of your time spent in the Maths department.

Third and Fourth year are where most of the Theoretical options are, this is mainly because you can't really study Theoretical Physics in any depth until you have learn't the pre-requisite mathematics :tongue:

Some of the 4th Year Theoretical Physics options are pretty interesting though, here's some of them below.

General Relativity and Cosmology
Relativistic Field Theory
Particle Physics (Taught through relativistic field theory so very mathsy)
Quantum Information
Advanced Quantum Mechanics (Feynman Path integrals etc...)
Physics of Phase Transitions

and some others I can't remember but 4th year is when the true Theory fun begins as you finally have the Maths skills to actually do some of the stuff :P

Thank you for taking the time to reply :smile: .

I am in two minds as to whether to pick the maths options in the first year in case I am not up to it. See I took an access course to get into university and whilst the access course was good it does not go into much breadth.

Apart from my year long mechanics class and the physics class we only had a semester long Further Mats class and we did two modules advanced algebra and calculus. And even though I had 89% in my advanced algebra and 95% in the calculus receiving distinctions in both they simply did not have the time to teach much of it if that makes sense. I mean although now I can differentiate grueling looking things using the chain, quotient and product rule with my eyes closed, we didn't focus on the integration side as much as I would have hoped; we only had a brief introduction to integration by parts for example. I am going to learn as much as I can myself on a range of topics over the summer though.

I would prefer to take the maths options to be honest but do not want to fall flat on my face if I am not up to it and then get a poor rating for my first year (even though I know it doesn't count towards the degree). I am fascinated by General Relativity and Cosmology and would love to hopefully work in that area in the future if I were able, what kind of chance of surviving do I have at taking those modules in the third year without taking the maths options in the first and second?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Could you also let me know please what computer language they have you learn? Is it C++ or Python or something else? I know some Python but have never done any C++ at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
We do C (but not C++). If you choose the maths option you also get to do a bit of Matlab.
Reply 13
We do C (but not C++). If you choose the maths option you also get to do a bit of Matlab.

OK thanks :smile: .

Random question, but as I am commuting I will be getting there an hour or 45 minutes before lectures start, I just wanted to know if the physics building has its own cafe or a place to buy a coffee and sit for a while? If not where is the best place to go?

Thanks.
Reply 14
Original post by FaraDai
OK thanks :smile: .

Random question, but as I am commuting I will be getting there an hour or 45 minutes before lectures start, I just wanted to know if the physics building has its own cafe or a place to buy a coffee and sit for a while? If not where is the best place to go?

Thanks.

Plenty of places to buy coffee nearby, and there are places to sit in the physics building. At certain times of day there is also a physbar open in the physics building itself where you can grab tea/coffee/have a chat with other physics people.

As for me, I've just finished second year and also studied physics with extended maths first year, and have to pretty much agree with everything Supernovae has said.

Spoiler

I would very much recommend doing the physics with extended maths option, while it will be more difficult than taking softer open choice modules instead, it also makes your second year easier, and second year is tough enough as it is without having extra maths to learn.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Rubgish
Plenty of places to buy coffee nearby, and there are places to sit in the physics building.

Cool, any places you recommend? Only so when I go on my first day I am not wandering about lost :redface: .
Reply 16
Original post by FaraDai
Cool, any places you recommend? Only so when I go on my first day I am not wandering about lost :redface: .

If you turn right out the front of the physics building, then left at the T-junction, you'll pretty much immediately see about 3/4 coffee shops. They are all pretty decent, so go nuts and find one you like best :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Rubgish
If you turn right out the front of the physics building, then left at the T-junction, you'll pretty much immediately see about 3/4 coffee shops. They are all pretty decent, so go nuts and find one you like best :smile:

Original post by Rubgish

Spoiler

Hi it's Caroline! (I believe we are in the same tutor group...)
Reply 19
Hi it's Caroline! (I believe we are in the same tutor group...)

Well, we would be if we ever had any tutor meetings XD I didn't realize you were on the chaos committee!

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending